Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want another Superman film and I don’t care if it isn’t Cavill.

I just want another Superman film and I don’t care if it isn’t Cavill.

I absolutely want Cavill in the next Superman film, and the one after that, and the one after that....(you get the picture)....

I absolutely want Cavill in the next Superman film, and the one after that, and the one after that....(you get the picture)....

Oh, what about the one after that though? I'm game!

Henry was the Gal Gadot to JL to what she was to BvS. Giving him a solid director who has a heart for the character can rejuvenate his role in the DCEU. They have the right actor. Just capitalize on the mistakes, as Henry said.

Henry was the Gal Gadot to JL to what she was to BvS. Giving him a solid director who has a heart for the character can rejuvenate his role in the DCEU. They have the right actor. Just capitalize on the mistakes, as Henry said.

Yeah and that goes for the whole cast.
Now im not one to jump onto the Whedon/Snyder hate train because i do find enjoyment in the DCCU so far...but we simply need a new set of eyes, a fresh direction.

With the right people in the chair and a direction that fits the characters more, we have everything to make this awesome.

I know I 'grew up' with Chris Reeve and he will always be 'my' Superman, Cavill has absolutely defined this era and the role his own. He is masterful in the role.

He doesn't have to be Jesus himself, but he would be looked at as savior figure with those powers and his sense of goodness. People would look to him in that way. He was originally space Moses, and while that is still a part of his character, the more powerful the character got over the years, it was hard to deny the savior aspects of the character, too. In fact, the savior aspect to Superman has been around for half his existence since it was portrayed in the Donner films 40 years ago.

As long as it's on the surface it's fine. But any deeper than that -- if Superman acts as though he is a divine savior -- you end up obscuring the fact that he's a superhero, THE Superhero. And Superman as divine savior and Superman as superhero are not the same thing, as I think BvS illustrates. The perception of Superman as a modern-day deity should definitely be a part of any approach, but I think the Jesus analogy is an ill-fit because he just doesn't fit the mold of the Christian Messiah. A far better approach would be to cast Superman as a modern day tutelary deity with Messianic overtones (at least in the eyes of the public or someone like Lex). That would fit with his relationship to Metropolis, especially in a world inhabited by many different vigilantes, superheroes and supervillains. But Superman himself should see himself as just one of many superheroes.

Superhero News just commented on this in their recent podcast.

Basically from a business standpoint, Henry has a lot of negative baggage associated with him right now. Not his fault, but it's just fact he is the face of the DCEU (he's starred in all 3 mainline films). When the IP is at its worst point right now, it's not savvy to continue on with that same "brand image".

Henry's only got one more film on his contract, and it's for the studio to exercise it. With the end of JL effectively closing the book on this arc of Supes, Henry already in his mid-30s, WB may very well just cut its losses and move on.

I hate to lose out on a potentially great Supes, but I can't blame that line of thinking. To a great majority of audiences, this Superman has been a dud. And in his best outing yet, to which most people didn't even bother to watch, it's been overshadowed by moustache-gate. There's just not much attachment to this iteration unfortunately.

I have to applaud at the level of incompetence displayed here. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined JL being the death knell for so much of DC.

I want Cavill to play Supes again so bad but at least I have a trilogy with him as the Man of Steel.

Plus Tyler Hoechlin proved to me that there are others capable out there of giving a great performance so I’m sure there are other actors out there who would nail the role too.

I would have never thought 2 months ago that most people here would have come to the conclusion that JL would potentially be Henry's last outing as Superman. Sad to see on how things have turned out. And here people had been all saying last year that once JL comes out, Warner Bros would be busting out official news about Superman's great future within the DCEU.

I would have never thought 2 months ago that most people here would have come to the conclusion that JL would potentially be Henry's last outing as Superman. Sad to see on how things have turned out. And here people had been all saying last year that once JL comes out, Warner Bros would be busting out official news about Superman's great future within the DCEU.

People didn’t forsee the box office been like it is. That’s what it comes down to really. If the film was a smash then it wouldn’t even be a debate but now it’s unclear what DC are going to do with DC films going forward.

Does Miller have a hard on for hating Cavill or something?

Never in a million years should WB consider throwing Cavill under the bus in a 'we need action' point at this juncture. He literally carried the final third of this film on his own in terms of all the things and nuances crowds of people have been crying out for throughout the previous films. His Superman is at a point to move forward from at the end of JL not to jettison him or the actor whose commitment, courage in the face of the **** falling around him to remain so professional, the man is unflappable. Keep him on WB.

no, the poster m1ll3r

Where on Earth are you getting that from? I like Cavill as Superman. You can go through my posts and see that if you like. I feel sorry for the guy that he got saddled with such a divisive interpretation of the character. I’m sad we most likely won’t see him again as Superman, because of the audience reaction to the character they’ve been served up. I really like Cavill. It’s Snyder’s Superman that I think is/was poor.

Never in a million years should WB consider throwing Cavill under the bus in a 'we need action' point at this juncture. He literally carried the final third of this film on his own in terms of all the things and nuances crowds of people have been crying out for throughout the previous films. His Superman is at a point to move forward from at the end of JL not to jettison him or the actor whose commitment, courage in the face of the **** falling around him to remain so professional, the man is unflappable. Keep him on WB.
Loyalty in spite of continuous setbacks is largely what got WB into this mess in the first place. I concede none of this is Cavill's fault, but it wasn't Brandon Routh's either when his Supes got muddled with. At the end of the day they're the face of this franchise and regardless of responsibility they are burdened with the baggage.

If WB wants a glimmer of hope in the audiences giving them a clean shot, they can't do it with the current Superman cast. They're all tainted.

People didn’t forsee the box office been like it is. That’s what it comes down to really. If the film was a smash then it wouldn’t even be a debate but now it’s unclear what DC are going to do with DC films going forward.

True but it still doesn't make this any more depressing to look at.

The weird thing about this all is that unlike Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man or even Brandon Routh's Superman, Cavill's Superman exists within a shared universe where we are bound to get other films that are connected to it and he just appeared alongside the rest of the Justice League. And you can't even compare this to Edward Norton's case either because he only ever starred in one Hulk film within the MCU and never had a chance to interact with any of the Avengers's cast members.

Wouldn't Warner Bros and DC Entertainment get A LOT of flack from fans and critics for dropping Cavill just because they wanted to wash away anything that was Snyder related and not a HUGE smash hit like Wonder Woman?

Now if it was something like Ben Affleck's case where the guy isn't sure if he wants to stay on and decides to call it quits on his own then that's one thing.

But when you have a guy who's help carried three films and who has been nothing but loyal to the brand, only to be canned by the Studio because of some ridiculous reason, then I can't imagine that going over well with people at all. It would further damage and bring discredit to their already poor reputation.

True but it still doesn't make this any more depressing to look at.

The weird thing about this all is that unlike Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man or even Brandon Routh's Superman, Cavill's Superman exists within a shared universe where we are bound to get other films that are connected to it and he just appeared alongside the rest of the Justice League. And you can't even compare this to Edward Norton's case either because he only ever starred in one Hulk film within the MCU and never had a chance to interact with any of the Avengers's cast members.

Wouldn't Warner Bros and DC Entertainment get A LOT of flack from fans and critics for dropping Cavill just because they wanted to wash away anything that was Snyder related and not a HUGE smash hit like Wonder Woman?

Now if it was something like Ben Affleck's case where the guy isn't sure if he wants to stay on and decides to call it quits on his own then that's one thing.

But when you have a guy who's help carried three films and who has been nothing but loyal to the brand, only to be canned by the Studio because of some ridiculous reason, then I can't imagine that going over well with people at all. It would further damage and bring discredit to their already poor reputation.
Sunk-cost fallacy, bro.

They've spent the better part of a decade crafting this iteration of Superman. It hasn't worked. Best to stop the bleeding now before they irreversibly kill this franchise for good.

Let’s just wait and see what happens.

Despite the RT score and the box office one of the positive things coming out of JL is people’s response to Cavill as Superman.

Sunk-cost fallacy, bro.

They've spent the better part of a decade crafting this iteration of Superman. It hasn't worked. Best to stop the bleeding now before they irreversibly kill this franchise for good.

Finding another Actor to portray the character isn't going to make things better for them imho.

Anyone who bothers to research on how audiences are responding to the character would easily be able to figure out that what will end up getting more people excited for the character on film is bringing in a fresh mind to the creative process and breathe new life into the character on film in the same way that the Russos were able to with Captain America or Taika did with Thor.

X-3 and Wolverine Origins both received terrible reviews and medicore box office results in the end but that didn't push Fox to throw everything down the trash and start completely anew.

Vaughn and Magnold were able to breathe in new life to both the X-Men and Wolverine solo franchises.

Right now, Warner Bros needs to be concerned in rebuilding their reputation and not further damaging it and throwing Cavill under the bus under the some misguided belief that he represents all of the bad parts of the DCEU would bring more harm to their reputation than good.

You’ll get it. They have to keep making Superman movies due to rights issues.

I don't think that's the case anymore, the whole rights issue was settled back in 2013 so WB are under no obligation to make a superman movie.

Honestly with regards to cavill and the next superman solo I say lets wait and see because WB's DCU plans have always been shaky since BvS 'graced' the cinemas with it's presence.
I was always certain that another superman solo will be made sooner than later but I have to admit that JL's shocking opening really makes me doubt my claims.

Henry is a fantastic superman but he's not the be all end all of it all and there are many others who can play the role e.g. Matt Bomer. Also we've clearly seen that no matter how perfect an actor is, if a director doesn't understand the character then you'll end up with a faulty product.

Finding another Actor to portray the character isn't going to make things better for them imho.

Anyone who bothers to research on how audiences are responding to the character would easily be able to figure out that what will end up getting more people excited for the character on film is bringing in a fresh mind to the creative process and breathe new life into the character on film in the same way that the Russos were able to with Captain America or Taika did with Thor.

X-3 and Wolverine Origins both received terrible reviews and medicore box office results in the end but that didn't push Fox to throw everything down the trash and start completely anew.

Vaughn and Magnold were able to breathe in new life to both the X-Men and Wolverine solo franchises.
You're missing a very big component in those films' ability to restructure; the popularity and attachment audiences had for the actor playing their respective roles. Those actors can afford some duds here and there because they're invested in the trajectory of the person. Cavill does not have this luxury. I know we love him and see so much potential, but that has not translated at all to general audiences. It doesn't help his films haven't been well received either. You can only ask so much of the audience before they just ignore you.

Gal has her pass. Cavill's had three chances to do so and doesn't.

I'm going to make a prediction, unless MI6 catapults Cavill into super stardom, we've seen the last of his Supes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"