Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

I think Nolan, Goyer and Snyder gave Superman a respectable reboot, WB thought a self contained 5 movie story directed by Snyder would be a good thing, this is where they miscalculated as by then general audience was accustomed to watching MCU style movies, Snyder's 5 movie plan was never going to be commercially successful as it was 180 degree opposite of MCU movies in terms of tone.

I think Nolan, Goyer and Snyder gave Superman a respectable reboot, WB thought a self contained 5 movie story directed by Snyder would be a good thing, this is where they miscalculated as by then general audience was accustomed to watching MCU style movies, Snyder's 5 movie plan was never going to be commercially successful as it was 180 degree opposite of MCU movies in terms of tone.
I agree with you 100%

tumblr_o3atyxGZDN1uorz8zo2_250.gif
tumblr_o3atyxGZDN1uorz8zo4_250.gif

Most of Snyder's movies have mixed to negative reactions and only 300 seems to have commercially overachieved. Legends of the Owls and Sucker Punch bombed and they were not facing comparisons to Marvel or preconceived notions. His shortcomings as a filmmaker is what sabotaged the franchise. I put that on WB. Not Snyder. Not the critics. Not the audience. Not other studios. Just WB.

His more famous movies (excluding BvS, Sucker Punch and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole) have RT ratings mostly in range of 56 % to 75 % and his Average Ratings for those movies is consistently higher than 6/10.

RT meter

Dawn of the Dead :75 %
Watchmen:64%
300:60%
MoS: 56%

Average Rating

Dawn of the Dead :6.72/10
Watchmen: 6.35/10
300:6.08/10
MoS:6.24/10

Last edited:
i still need to see the owls movie, but i did enjoy sucker punch.
but i can see why a lot of people might not like it or take issue with some of it.

300 is probably my least favorite of snyder's movies.

but i agree with @STARMAN , that WB is mainly to blame.
they should've had better foresight, knowing snyder's track record and his specific style of filmmaking.
esp if they wanted a sustainable business model. lol

I think it would’ve saved them a lot of time, money, and jobs if they’d just rebranded Snyder’s stuff as Elseworld’s tales. I feel like if folks felt it wasn’t meant to be the definitive take then reception would’ve been kinder.

Could’ve just ended his 5-film run with a Flashpoint type event that “restored” things.

I don't think that would have made any difference. Particularly with characters like Batman and Superman, audiences are more than used to new and different iterations every couple of years. I don't see an expectation to meet some sort of gold-standard of continuity or consistency.

It's not like people would have had a different option if they didn't favor his take. Whether it was branded Elseworlds or not, ostensibly Snyder's Bats and Supes were all this era was going to be given. With the backlash of BvS, it was never destined to reach its full 5-film arc. Director's cuts and all.

That yellow part in the shield was too faded, and dull. But more importantly, most of the movie looks much better as it was shot on locations, giving it a more real world look as opposed to how Justice League looked, as most of that movie was shot on sound stages and sets.

That yellow part in the shield was too faded, and dull. But more importantly, most of the movie looks much better as it was shot on locations, giving it a more real world look as opposed to how Justice League looked, as most of that movie was shot on sound stages and sets.
I never understood why they made the shield look dirty, the rest of the suit was clean and sharp, it didn't make sense to me... sure, if it was his fathers suit and battle damaged etc, but yeah, did anyone learn why it was that way?

Most of Snyder's movies have mixed to negative reactions and only 300 seems to have commercially overachieved. Legends of the Owls and Sucker Punch bombed and they were not facing comparisons to Marvel or preconceived notions. His shortcomings as a filmmaker is what sabotaged the franchise. I put that on WB. Not Snyder. Not the critics. Not the audience. Not other studios. Just WB.

Yep. WB prided themselves on NOT being a "norm" studio and they wanted Snyder's approach to their superhero universe. Zack gave them EXACTLY what they wanted and EXACTLY what was asked. The problem was how the critics spooked the execs in an Avenger world. Man of Steel, in hindsight, didn't do bad, the sequel just needed fixing and fleshed out. BvS spooked the studio into a situation where the plug was pulled early, but too late at the same time. They just mismanaged things. I still think the Snyderverse would have worked if they would have just announced a finite plan and Snyder's original 5 film arc and be done with it. The black label came too late. Zack's films would have flourished in that genre/label..which is ironic to me I guess.

The shame of it is there are so many ways to move forward with Superman. My concern is if Abrams decides to produce Supergirl instead while WB foolishly struggles with the false notion of him not being modern or relevant.

Last edited:
Ah. My mistake. Though I personally would want a different person on it. I'm sure many would like Abrams on Superman/Supergirl, especially given he almost was, but I have to wonder if those emotions are still the same after The Rise of Skywalker which, granted I haven't seen, seems to be pretty divisive among fans.

I would think he's going to at least produce some DC films. That might be the best way of both worlds. He's involved but not directing. The screenwriter for Supergirl wrote the Cloverfield Paradox. So there's already a little connection.

I still think WB should do a new Superman film before doing a Supergirl. I also think a Supergirl film without Superman in some role would be a massive missed opportunity.

Ah. My mistake. Though I personally would want a different person on it. I'm sure many would like Abrams on Superman/Supergirl, especially given he almost was, but I have to wonder if those emotions are still the same after The Rise of Skywalker which, granted I haven't seen, seems to be pretty divisive among fans.

I think the consensus is that JJ would best serve Supes if he’s able to just do what he wants like Reeves. If he has to follow and potentially retcon a bunch of Snyder’s work then keep him away.

That’s how it seems to me at least. I’d be looking at Jeff Nichols right now personally though.

I think the consensus is that JJ would best serve Supes if he’s able to just do what he wants like Reeves. If he has to follow and potentially retcon a bunch of Snyder’s work then keep him away.

That’s how it seems to me at least. I’d be looking at Jeff Nichols right now personally though.
Personally while I love his Flyby script but I still have no desire to see Abrams on Superman if he can't be original anymore *cough* Star Wars TFA & ROS & ST Into Darkness *cough*.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"