Justice League Henry Cavill IS Clark Kent/Superman - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

This is how I feel. Am I supposed to pretend that this Diana, Arthur, and Barry never had their interactions with Superman? How does that work? And since I have no idea where WB is going with this, I have very little reason to personally connect with these characters. I will still see some of these movies, but my enthusiasm is jut not there. I think it will sting a little bit when i watch Aquaman knowing what could have been.

See, this is why I cannot find myself getting excited for other DC films.

Warner Bros is pretty much trying to move their so called DC Universe forward by pretending that Superman does not exist anymore.

How can I, as a fan, get truly invested in this universe when I am fully aware of the huge middle finger that they gave to my favorite character? Why the hell should I give a damn about this universe when it does not even look like it is building up to anything.

This is why DC is a HUGE failure. For all of the flack that FOX gets for how they have used their X-Men franchise, it is still a million times better than what Warner Bros did to Superman.

This is how I feel. Am I supposed to pretend that this Diana, Arthur, and Barry never had their interactions with Superman? How does that work? And since I have no idea where WB is going with this, I have very little reason to personally connect with these characters. I will still see some of these movies, but my enthusiasm is jut not there. I think it will sting a little bit when i watch Aquaman knowing what could have been.

I'm in different place, I think, because while Superman (and Lois!) are my favorites, I have enough curiosity and enthusiasm for the genre and for the other characters that I'm excited and invested in what else is coming. I also feel that, despite disappointments, I have been quite spoiled as a Superman fan. Even now, as the DCEU version is sidelined, television (CW Crossover, Krypton) and animation (Death of Superman, Reign of the Supermen) are filling the gap. I connect with the characters — from Arthur to Barry — on their own merits outside of how they relate to my favorites and am happy that others are happy finally seeing characters like Aquaman or Black Canary on the big screen for the first time.

Although I think having loads of girl team up movies might start to look like WB is milking it, it's still nice that female superheroes are finally having their moment; so I could get behind an idea like a Wonder Woman led team up with Supergirl, Batgirl, and possibly Mera and Black Canary. It makes me think of the successful Bombshells line that DC put out recently, actually.

91rmSB6Hp6L._SL1500_.jpg

This is how I feel. Am I supposed to pretend that this Diana, Arthur, and Barry never had their interactions with Superman? How does that work?
By excising Snyder's films from canon. I don't know if these guys will ever be on-screen together again, but as it will at least be a number of years, I doubt such a revision would be too bothersome with the plethora of lore they'll have built in that time.

I am still confused on one thing though. Aren't Warner Bros contractually obligated to put out a new Superman film into production within a certain timeframe due to the whole legal dispute with the Siegal family?

See, this is why I cannot find myself getting excited for other DC films.

Warner Bros is pretty much trying to move their so called DC Universe forward by pretending that Superman does not exist anymore.

How can I, as a fan, get truly invested in this universe when I am fully aware of the huge middle finger that they gave to my favorite character? Why the hell should I give a damn about this universe when it does not even look like it is building up to anything.

This is why DC is a HUGE failure. For all of the flack that FOX gets for how they have used their X-Men franchise, it is still a million times better than what Warner Bros did to Superman.
This is exactly how I feel.

I would eat it and if I have to wait for another Superman film 6-7 years down the road like the little bench that I am, I most certainly will but I have a major problem with that. Not just because of Henry leaving and the lost potential we had with him, but the very fact they are shelving Superman in the comic book boom period. It's been said for years upon years how Superman needs to be the crucial character that the studio needs to get right on the big screen. Regardless of what has happened, the time is now because if not now, when? Audience's are primed for the comic book movie and getting Superman right should top every list imaginable.

Instead, the character is getting botched and sidelined when the studio should be hard at work putting a solid game plan together to get the Man of Steel back to glory, or at the very least, back in business. It's infuriating how WB has seemingly ignored the fanbase and what they needed to do since MoS and continue to ignore the demand of an icon.

It reminds me of the sports analogy of how leagues like the NFL flourish when parity exists and any team can beat anyone. But guess what? The game and league is simply better and at its best when the storied teams with history are doing well. When teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys are winners? The league is unstoppable.

Sure Aquaman, Shazam! and WW84 being a sucess will do wonders for DC, but to not have a Superman or Batman at their best simply waters DC and the entire universe down. For DC to be at their best in this new boom period, having the Holy Trinity as a strong foundation makes everything better, if not superior and WB is vomiting all over that at this pivotal time. No pitiful excuse's will convince me otherwise.

Or they can have WW and Aquaman just never interacting with Supes and Batman again. Keep their stuff in stand alone mode. Both WW movies already doing that. HQ and her gang going through a gotham without an active Batman. Shazam was THAT movie to still give the nod to the connected universe, but the lead star priced himself out.

In theory, that will be pretty easy for WW and AM - WW1984 they both don't exist 'yet' for obvious reasons, the 3rd instalment, i reckon it will be another period piece of sorts - Capt Marvel doing 90's i can see WW3 being WW1999 or for something similar WW03 or completely different and be set 50 years from now, that could be interesting... make her look older, fleck of grey. That way they just ignore Batman and Superman.
AM can have a sequel or trilogy that happen under the ocean or at a coastal town.

Shazam - this is why i hated them using official licensed DC products in the trailer - like a comic accurate Batman, keyrings etc and t shirts.. it's too self aware for me, it's almost as if he is in our universe and a fan of the dc universe on tv. I got shot down for saying i wish they recreated what that world would do, merchandise wise - grainy pictures of the batman 'bigfoot' or 'UFO' style on t shirts, toys of them that are just artists impressions - there was a superman toy/figure with red pants - well in that universe he never wore pants so.. it just felt lazy.

I think reboot standalone is the most likely scenario down the road. I can wait now that I know MOS 2 is not happening.

I agree, i honestly think if Reeves Batman works they will indirectly reference a superman and the new stand alone superman will be in that universe, but they will in no way make a thing of it until they are ready.

I don't mind waiting for a new Superman movie. I do mind rebooting/recasting. It's not even that I'm super fond of Cavill in the role. It's more that I just don't think I can suspend disbelief enough, if these new Superman and Batman characters/actors cross paths with remnants of the previous DCEU, like Diana, Arthur, and Barry.

It's not like Hulk or Spider-Man: Homecoming, because no Hulk or Spider-Man had ever interacted with the Avengers or the MCU before they crossed over. Because BvS and JL happened, with Affleck and Cavill interacting with the rest, it creates a bit of a mess. So, to potentially see Wonder Woman talking to a Batman who has a different face and maybe even backstory and personality would just be too weird to me.

I get that others wouldn't feel that way. But I would. I might be able to handle it better if whatever reboot happened kept Superman and Batman isolated in their own franchises, but that's not ideal either. I would almost rather any new Superman movie be within the elseworlds concept that is creating the Joker movie, which could allow for more experimentation, than something more mainstream.

Totally agree, i can't suspend my disbelief because well, it's a different bloke. Unless they do flashpoint.

This is exactly how I feel.

At this point, they need to come out and say - the DCEU is moving forward, with XYZ and other labels for specific universes

I am still confused on one thing though. Aren't Warner Bros contractually obligated to put out a new Superman film into production within a certain timeframe due to the whole legal dispute with the Siegal family?
The date I keep hearing for that is 2024 (and it could be a film being released by then or just greenlit), but I don't know where people got that information from.

I would eat it and if I have to wait for another Superman film 6-7 years down the road like the little ***** that I am, I most certainly will but I have a major problem with that. Not just because of Henry leaving and the lost potential we had with him, but the very fact they are shelving Superman in the comic book boom period. It's been said for years upon years how Superman needs to be the crucial character that the studio needs to get right on the big screen. Regardless of what has happened, the time is now because if not now, when? Audience's are primed for the comic book movie and getting Superman right should top every list imaginable.

Instead, the character is getting botched and sidelined when the studio should be hard at work putting a solid game plan together to get the Man of Steel back to glory, or at the very least, back in business. It's infuriating how WB has seemingly ignored the fanbase and what they needed to do since MoS and continue to ignore the demand of an icon.

Sure Aquaman, Shazam! and WW84 being a sucess will do wonders for DC, but to not have a Superman or Batman at their best simply waters DC and the entire universe down. For DC to be at their best in this new boom period, having the Holy Trinity as a strong foundation makes everything better, if not superior and WB is vomiting all over that at this pivotal time. No pitiful excuse's will convince me otherwise.

At this point, I would not put it past Warner Bros to try replace Superman with Supergirl and Batman with either Batgirl or Batwoman, thus setting up a female trinity instead.

I have pretty much given up on Superman when it comes to his film adaptations. The only way the studio executives will ever place their focus on Superman again is if he makes the same loud positive storm and brings in a big financial success that Wonder Woman and Batman did with their solo films.

Simply put, the so called DC Universe should just stand for the "Don't Care" Universe.

You know the funny thing about all of this is the three movies the WB messed with turn out to be the most controversial movies. Yet the irony in all this is when the public is presented with the original film (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut) or the original plan (SS & JL) those seem to be better received and have people screaming for. This should be very telling for them.

Reactions: MbJ
I would be all for with what misslane said and move Superman over to the Elseworld label and have a director experiment the crazieness that could become of that. Though, that would be ironic to put Superman under that label being that ever since Zack took over, many referenced his take on Superman and what would essentially become the DCEU an "Elseworld" tale as it views and narrates like a graphic novel where the characters are slightly off quilter to their classic take. Essentially, the studio would be in position to keep making the same mistake over and over by putting a Superman story in those non-traditional elements. What they could do is keep Henry and continue his franchise in that Elseworld Universe where films like BvS and/or the Snyder-Verse could ultimately exist.

I would be all for with what misslane said and move Superman over to the Elseworld label and have a director experiment the crazieness that could become of that. Though, that would be ironic to put Superman under that label being that ever since Zack took over, many referenced his take on Superman and what would essentially become the DCEU an "Elseworld" tale as it views and narrates like a graphic novel where the characters are slightly off quilter to their classic take. Essentially, the studio would be in position to keep making the same mistake over and over by putting a Superman story in those non-traditional elements. What they could do is keep Henry and continue his franchise in that Elseworld Universe where films like BvS and/or the Snyder-Verse could ultimately exist.

I still believe that if we had at least gotten Snyder's original version of "Justice League" in theaters instead, thus getting a proper closure to Superman's arc (which began in MOS) then I would not be as bitter about this who scenario as I am now.

Frankly, the real losers here are anyone who considers Superman to be their favorite hero.

Even though he's appearing in the CW Crossover later this year, it's only for three episodes and we need to remember that he isn't the star of his own show (Supergirl is), so his screen time and presence there will still be limited.

All we have left is really the animated "Reign of the Superman" film for next year. I really don't count "Krypton" as a Superman show since he is not either A active character or main character for the show. It's just like how you can't consider Superman to be the main protagonist in "Justice League" because of how we see the aftermath of his death from BvS.

And the other frustrating thing here is that even if by some heavenly miracle we get a good superman movie several years later on, there doesn't seem to be ANY PLANS to bring our heroes together again. So, what's the point of calling this the DC Universe? Even if you bring them all together again in a film, since none of this is being planned out in advance, it's going to really show how sloppy Warner Bros producers are if they manage to crank out another JL film later on when the surviving league members have already done several films by then and will probably not want to continue playing their characters for another 10 years.

I didn't watch the CW version, simply because it didn't feel deep enough to me, i wasn't going to invest in an interpretation of a character that the studio wasn't invested in, does that make sense? I felt like it was a glorified cameo - if he had his own series, i'd be there, following his journey. I actually caught a few clips on youtube and i felt that it had potential but also cashing in on nostalgia.

I felt how lois was presented in JL was an absolute waste, a mourning girlfriend with no real purpose, i would have loved to have seen what Snyder had planned for her. In BvS she was wasted too, nothing more than a prop, so i felt moving forward Lois needed to be really well written to see her positive change organic as how she was so far, i was bored of her, i didn't think they had good chemistry.

I just find myself running my hands through my hair and cringing at the state we are in with the most iconic super hero couple there is.

I have been watching lois and clark recently and loving the first season chemistry. I feel a new movie, wether it be a reboot should tap into that vibe, however, i feel that's too much a departure of the snyder verse and missed it's chance after MOS's positive ending.

Although I think having loads of girl team up movies might start to look like WB is milking it, it's still nice that female superheroes are finally having their moment; so I could get behind an idea like a Wonder Woman led team up with Supergirl, Batgirl, and possibly Mera and Black Canary. It makes me think of the successful Bombshells line that DC put out recently, actually.

91rmSB6Hp6L._SL1500_.jpg

I love the bombshell designs!

Was hoping for alive action adaptation for these versions, Maybe Elseworld

Supergirl hooked up with Lois in Bombshells, so maybe don't adapt it too closely, lol.

The date I keep hearing for that is 2024 (and it could be a film being released by then or just greenlit), but I don't know where people got that information from.

I have been saying 2024 because that could be the deadline for WB to pump out the next Sup related film, I say that because I don’t believe they are bothered with the character until they HAVE to make a film to keep the right...

To be fair if they have 3 WW films, 2 Bat films, 2-3 Aquaman films, 1-2 Flash films and maybe even a GL film under their belt before 2024, then we have a good Sup film that leads to a Darkseid invasion or a team up movie or Trinity etc, that could be quite epic...if that’s what they are thinking. People prob have forgotten about JL by then, like which general audience remembers movies from 7 years ago eg Cap one or Thor or IM2 or GL....

I have been saying 2024 because that could be the deadline for WB to pump out the next Sup related film, I say that because I don’t believe they are bothered with the character until they HAVE to make a film to keep the right...

To be fair if they have 3 WW films, 2 Bat films, 2-3 Aquaman films, 1-2 Flash films and maybe even a GL film under their belt before 2024, then we have a good Sup film that leads to a Darkseid invasion or a team up movie or Trinity etc, that could be quite epic...if that’s what they are thinking. People prob have forgotten about JL by then, like which general audience remembers movies from 7 years ago eg Cap one or Thor or IM2 or GL....
Right. I'm just trying to figure out where 2024 came from as the date for the legal requirement.

But yes, that's only 6 years away, and if they have to have another one out by then, I honestly don't mind waiting that long. Absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say, and I think if by that time we have multiple successful DC franchises going, JL will be a distant memory and people are gonna be ready for a new Supes.

Yet the irony in all this is when the public is presented with the original film (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut) or the original plan (SS & JL) those seem to be better received and have people screaming for. This should be very telling for them.

You're overselling it. Most people in the public honestly aren't all that invested in this, period. It's been almost a year since Justice League and most people have pretty much forgotten it, save perhaps for those making mustache jokes. There is a very hardcore fanbase that loves them and are clamoring for the Snyder Cut, but to say the public is screaming for it or loved the Ultimate Edition is a stretch, IMO.

This is how I feel. Am I supposed to pretend that this Diana, Arthur, and Barry never had their interactions with Superman? How does that work?

Continuity's overrated. Some of the best X-Men flicks came after they made a mess of continuity with the Wolverine prequel. A good movie is gonna stand on its own. If they keep making successful Aquaman and Wonder Woman movies and end up introducing a new Superman or Batman down the line I don't think there's really gonna be much resistance.

Continuity's overrated. Some of the best X-Men flicks came after they made a mess of continuity with the Wolverine prequel. A good movie is gonna stand on its own. If they keep making successful Aquaman and Wonder Woman movies and end up introducing a new Superman or Batman down the line I don't think there's really gonna be much resistance.

But First Class was done in a different timeline, so it was the same Eric and Xavier, but they were much younger. It acted as a prequel. That's not the same thing. We aren't pretending that Logan saw completely different characters (aside from how they changed Sabertooth from X-Men to Wolverine Origins, which was weird). After that, they specifically used a time travel movie to allow the continuity to change. That would be akin to a Flashpoint movie. But if we are getting the same Diana and Barry and Arthur, etc, but there is no explanation as to what's happened with Superman, that's pretty strange to me, imo. And even if they do eventually have a way to explain Superman's presence in the future, the fact is, as of now, I have no faith in WB right now and have no idea what they are going to do, so it's hard for me to personally care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"