• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Henry Cavill IS Superman: - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sis and I are officially in love with Cavill. We texted eachother pics of him.

Hmmm that smile, that voice, those eyes that you can get lost in...*wipes away drool*

Nope. He brings his own qualities to Jor-El. No one can replicate Brando, even when he is unmotivated and reading off cue cards.

As magical as Brando was, I prefer what Crowe is bringing to the role. His Jor-El is just so much more human, emotional and fallible. His delivery of "How?" in the new trailer was heartbreaking. There is so much going on there. I'm getting a bit of a Ned Stark vibe from Jor-El. He seems too good and honorable for his own good.

I didn't say Brando was better or worse, just that Brando cannot be replicated.

I didn't say Brando was better or worse, just that Brando cannot be replicated.

I know and I was agreeing. That is why I said I prefer Crowe's interpretation. I should have started that post: "Yep, agreed. However, despite how magical..."

I was never enamored with Brando's performance.

Brando is a legend and I'm not saying he was bad at all but it was a lazy performance and I'm not going to treat it as if it were amazing just because he is a legend.

I'm not a fan of Crowe but he can act and should be just fine. Personally, I think Costner, whom I usually hate as an actor, is going to steal the show.

Last edited:
Brando's portrayal of Jor-El will always be my favorite...However, if I could choose any modern day actor to reprise the roll it would be Russell Crowe.

I never thought Brando was all that great as Jor-El. He was good enough.

Brando had a presence most actors never had. Sadly, it gave him the ability to phone in many of his roles.

Brando had a presence most actors never had. Sadly, it gave him the ability to phone in many of his roles.

Yep. I always loved his Jor-El and I remember being shocked when I found out that he didn't give a sh** throughout the entire shoot. I WISH I had that half that much talent as an actor.

^ Yeah. I think for this movie RC>MB AA>MK HC<CR (but barely) MS>TS.
I could be wrong, though. PS. Those are totally the actors and actresses' initials.

Crowe is one of the very best actors around. Glad he's doing a film that's important to me and hopefully he hangs around in this franchise for a long time.

...I prefer what Crowe is bringing to the role. His Jor-El is just so much more human, emotional and fallible. His delivery of "How?" in the new trailer was heartbreaking. There is so much going on there.

Not sure that “heartbreaking” is quite the right description. I think people are responding to the word (and especially Crowe’s delivery) because it strikes just the right balance of plain fact, fatherly pride and outright bravado. (Sorta like: “Honey, our son’s gonna be frickin Superman!” :cwink:)

Not sure that &#8220;heartbreaking&#8221; is quite the right description. I think people are responding to the word (and especially Crowe&#8217;s delivery) because it strikes just the right balance of plain fact, fatherly pride and outright bravado. (Sorta like: &#8220;Honey, our son&#8217;s gonna be frickin Superman!&#8221; :cwink:)

Watch his eyes more closely. At the same time as having bravado in his voice, there is a certain pain and sadness in his eyes about having to send his son away. Or maybe I'm the only one who sees that...

Haha, so now all of a suddent Brando sucks. Happens everytime something is remade or rebooted.

Haha, so now all of a suddent Brando sucks. Happens everytime something is remade or rebooted.

Who said that? As far as I can see, people said they didn't think he was great or they didn't like his Jor-El. And to be honest, I feel the same way. He wasn't bad, but he did nothing for me in the role, unlike Crowe is doing by just that one trailer. And please don't think I'm saying Brando sucks, I have a ****ing poster of him on my wall since I was a kid, and it was the first poster I put there myself.

Yep. I always loved his Jor-El and I remember being shocked when I found out that he didn't give a sh** throughout the entire shoot. I WISH I had that half that much talent as an actor.

Indeed. The farewell monologue to baby Kal-El remains one of the best scenes in superhero film history. The delivery and all.

Nobody said that Brando sucks. I've never fawned over his performance in Superman: The Movie and I never really liked Superman: The Movie in general.

My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the reboot. I've been saying those two opinions for years. Read my old posts in the Superman Returns threads and you'll see that I never adored the old Superman movies like others did.

And I'm sorry but if you think that Brando's lazy work in Superman was as good as his classic performance in A Street Car Named Desire, I do not know how to process that opinion.

I respond to this post because I'm sick of being insulted as a bandwagon jumper when I've never loved the Donner films and I never loved Brando in them. He got the job done and that is it. He couldn't even ****ing say Krypton correctly and I'm not allowed to say that I don't think he deserved an Oscar for that role because I might be called a dumb fanboy who likes the shiny new thing the best. Give me a break, my opinions aren't formed by popular demand.

And no I'm not mad at ya, I'm just defending myself against what I see as a slight.

Last edited:
Nobody said that Brando sucks. I've never fawned over his performance in Superman: The Movie and I never really liked Superman: The Movie in general.

My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the reboot. I've been saying those two opinions for years. Read my old posts in the Superman Returns threads and you'll see that I never adored the old Superman movies like others did.

And I'm sorry but if you think that Brando's lazy work in Superman was as good as his classic performance in A Street Car Named Desire, I do not know how to process that opinion.

I respond to this post because I'm sick of being insulted as a bandwagon jumper when I've never loved the Donner films and I never loved Brando in them. He got the job done and that is it. He couldn't even ****ing say Krypton correctly and I'm not allowed to say that I don't think he deserved an Oscar for that role because I might be called a dumb fanboy who likes the shiny new thing the best. Give me a break, my opinions aren't formed by popular demand.

And no I'm not mad at ya, I'm just defending myself against what I see as a slight.

tumblr_m81y5lspoF1rbaxuco1_500.gif

And yeah, i'm really sick of it too.

Last edited:

Brando's performance has been criticized long before MOS came along and it will be long after (assuming anyone even remembers or talks about the old films in that time). I never liked his performance because he clearly phoned it and simply picked up a paycheck and this has nothing to do with MOS. And so tell me, based on your logic, any criticism for the Donner films that will come out from now on will be a result of a reboot? Please. :whatever:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"