Henry Cavill IS Superman - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]512043[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]511215[/split]

3. Andreth

Andreth Well-Known Member

HA! I'm glad I'm not the only one, this was so awful, it gave me second hand embarrassment.

lol :hehe:

I have a new love affair with MoS now.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

I like Cavill's acting.

5. matt47

matt47 Well-Known Member

Anyone notice how much he blinks when saying a line?

6. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Acting trick. Draws attention to the eyes.

7. Man_of_Tomorrow

Man_of_Tomorrow Nobodys Side-Kick

It's a sign of lying. Just what is that alien hiding, hmmmm.

8. matt47

matt47 Well-Known Member

But you can't see the eyes because he blinks with every syllable

9. Vaibow

Vaibow Well-Known Member

I honestly think he is focusing too much on the accent.

10. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

Someone did the research and Cavill had only around 45 lines of dialogue in BvS.

11. Man_of_Tomorrow

Man_of_Tomorrow Nobodys Side-Kick

He's doing all his talking with his eyes. Like people do in the real world...or something.

12. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Going off my post from yesterday, here is a more detailed look at Superman's lines, or lack thereof, in BvS:

Absolutely inexcusable.

13. hurley711

hurley711 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are hiding the fact that he isn't that great of an actor. It's telling. 2 movies of a pretty silent Superman. The bat is dead bury it scene was pretty wooden. His entire delivery of those lines were brutal.

14. matt47

matt47 Well-Known Member

Go watch his other movies. He ain't a bad actor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkrPDZm77ws (3:00)
    In this interview he basically says how he hasn't been allowed to bring anything from himself into the character yet because he isn't THE Superman yet. Poor guy looks frustrated by how the character is being used.

15. King23DC

King23DC Well-Known Member

I thought that was obvious the film makers, and scripters were hiding him.

His acting chops is the reason. He has the looks, and physical presence. But no charisma, and usually very wooden. "The bat is dead" delivery is horrendous, and when I first saw it, I thought it was TV movie quality.

But hey, he's not AS HIDDEN as they did the even worse, Brandon Routh. That guy was literally a card board cut out for an entire movie.

16. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I'm not sure if any of you have seen Man from UNCLE but Cavill was quite good in that. He had some really nice moments that showed how charismatic he can really be. So no, it's not Cavill's fault.

17. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

Yeah, it is inexcusable, Flint.

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. This is one of the worst representations of a classic character in recent memory.

Also, I won't begrudge anyone their own opinion on Cavill, but I disagree that this is his fault or that he's a bad actor. He was good in The Tudors and his early movies, and quite charming UNCLE. I also thought he did good in MOS when he had the opportunity. Even in BvS, there are a couple of scenes where he shines ("you're my world" and his humble little smile in the Day of the Dead scene).

I just think the character was horribly written. I mean, that godawful "no one stays good" line? If he has any understanding and appreciation of the character (and I believe he does), that must have been hard to say. I'm sure he was thinking about how he could do his best to sell it, but imagine how well he could do if he was given dialogue that actually corresponds to the character he was so keen on playing for so long.

18. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe they need to transplant his Man from UNCLE personality into these Superman films. Let him play Napoleon Solo and we'll get more of a Superman/Clark Kent character as a result.

19. Jaxon

Jaxon Well-Known Member

I'd contend he delivered those perfectly. Superman was threatening someone, something he feels terrible about doing and delivered it uncomfortably exactly the way Superman would.

Go watch Man from Uncle, Cavill is charming and bright and really shines. He's a talented actor for sure.

20. Tony Gunk

Tony Gunk Clown Prince of Crime

He's definitely a good actor, BUT, he does have some awful line deliveries in BvS, deliveries I think a good director would have insisted be redone.

"Nobody stays good"

"The bat is dead"

"The woman I love could have been blown up"

"Superman was never real"

These are all pretty badly delivered, some flat out wooden, some just awkward, but I'm very aware it's someone acting.

That's on the director though, I've seen Cavill in UNCLE, I've seen him in the Tudors. He can certainly act, and he definitely has charisma.

21. lukebrodyg

lukebrodyg Well-Known Member

Save for "Superman was never real", I think those are just poorly written lines more so than poorly acted.

Cavill is a relatively new actor (in the sense that he hasn't been in a wide variety of films) and has some growing to do but he's leaps and bounds better than some actors today.

The script has issues, not Cavill IMO.

22. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

We need a director who will tell him to stop playing Superman/ Clark Kent and play Napoleon Solo instead. Then we'll get a decent Supes/CK performance out of him.

23. titansupes

titansupes Well-Known Member

It's just a shame that two movies into this universe, we still have to look to unrelated things in his filmography to say "Hey, Henry Cavill could be a really good Superman!"

24. Tony Gunk

Tony Gunk Clown Prince of Crime

Some of them are awful lines. "Nobody stays good", that's an appalling line for a Superman film. But to be honest they're just delivered in such a flat manner that it makes them that bit worse. If someone had only seen Cavill in BvS I'd actually understand why they might assume he's not a very good actor. I mean he's hardly got any dialogue and he's a bit wooden in what dialogue he actually has.

I still firmly believe it's on Snyder though.

Actually I might be unfair on Cavill here, I do think there's wooden deliveries, but then when you think about it, Zack Snyders Superman IS very wooden, in the sense that the way he's actually written sells him as a bit one beat and wooden

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  25. King23DC

King23DC Well-Known Member

Lol um based on what? Immortals or Man from Uncle? A good actor fan take bad lines, and make it work. It's all in the delivery usually anyway. Thus why he isn't nor should be considered a good actor. It's also why he's very clearly hidden in both Superman films.