Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

Has there been any updates?
New videos reporting on the same news that's driving me/us insane, we still have Cavill's IG video that's still cryptic.
Anything new?

I am not expecting anything new. Because nothing looks like it's going to change. Maybe a few years.

Let the tv side take over. I have more faith in the CW versions

Hoechlin is genuinely better than Cavill, he just needs a better suit
Adams and Eisenberg have done well in other roles but I genuinely don’t think they are good as Lois and Lex
If they can cast a better Superman I know they can cast a better Lex and Lois

Hell, I think Welling, Durance, and Rosenbaum are all superior to Cavill, Adams, and Eisenberg

Routh and Spacey were better than Cavill and Eisenberg

Of the modern depictions of the big three Superman characters, I’d rank them as follows

Superman: Hoechlin, Routh/Welling (tie), Cavill
Lois: Durance, Adams, Bosworth
Lex: Rosenbaum...... Spacey, Eisenberg

I wouldn't be surprised if WB are planning for Superman on TV, which is why they're not worrying about Cavill and MOS2 for now.

I think WB have already decided to soft reboot the whole thing - starting with Matt Reeves Batman.

Slightly changing the aesthetic & feel, less emphasis on world building, but having story threads that could resurrect a DCEU further down the line.

Gal will obviously stay on & they'll wait to see how Aquaman & Shazam perform before they make any larger decisions. I think only after these films will we get any sort of official conformation on Cavill or plans for Superman.

You're right, but I am so sick of that being the status of DC's movies, of WB's stance! It's has been "We'll see how_____ does before making any decisions" for years now! I am so tired of that! It's an endless loop of that.

I think in ten years people will realize that Cavill wasn’t the best Superman of the modern era, he just had the best suit

I mean, who would be though? Hoechlin was good but I need more than a guest spot on a couple episodes of a TV show before I crown him the king. And Routh was terrible. Who does that leave? Welling?

Honestly, we don’t have a definitive Superman of the modern era. Everyone after Reeve has been somewhere between decent and awful.

Hoechlin's supersuit would look fine if it didn't have those stupid cape clasps. Who thought that was a good idea?

I took to Hoechlin's Superman almost right away. I like the suit and I think a mini series, even if it's on the DC universe streaming service would work out great.

A prequel about him taking down Lex and sending him to jail

I took to Hoechlin's Superman almost right away. I like the suit and I think a mini series, even if it's on the DC universe streaming service would work out great.

A prequel about him taking down Lex and sending him to jail

He was fantastic. Felt like I was actually watching a modern take on the character, rather than a moping, miserable edgelord version.

I don't know if that means the next Superman actor will be as praised and embraced by general audiences, fans, and critics, as Tom Holland's Spiderman has been, but there certainly seem to be more than a few parallels between Andrew Garfield and Henry Cavill.

Their first films very much did feel like first films and weird that yes, their sequels then went in pretty different directions.

That's because Sony and WB were trying to "catch up" to Marvel or whatever.

Has there been any updates?
New videos reporting on the same news that's driving me/us insane, we still have Cavill's IG video that's still cryptic.
Anything new?

It could be while

I mean Affleck is still officially the DCEU Batman, and supposedly going to star in the upcoming Batman solo movie. But there have been multiple rumors/speculation he's considering an out, and WB is preparing a replacement. This conversation started ever since he dropped out of directing it.

Keep Man of Steel and Wondsr Woman in continuity

Ignore the other films

Best thing to do

Ignore the other films

Best thing to do
I don’t agree. MOS was an ok movie but it had serious problems.
Just ignore Cavill’s s****y Superman altogether.

The only movie that has 100% worked was Wonder Woman. I think that movie was good not great, but it was well received by the audience and Gal really worked as Diana.

I don’t agree. MOS was an ok movie but it had serious problems.
Just ignore Cavill’s s****y Superman altogether.

The only movie that has 100% worked was Wonder Woman. I think that movie was good not great, but it was well received by the audience and Gal really worked as Diana.

Don’t agree. Heck I’d love to see a real Man of Steel sequel

Don’t agree. Heck I’d love to see a real Man of Steel sequel

Well, after a mediocre film that made mediocre money, a terrible film that suffered one of the worst box office drop offs in history, and another terrible film that bombed.... you ain’t getting one.

Sigh
So the end we predicted is here.Even the most obtuse of fanboys have to admit Snyder did more damage to Superman and the DCEU as a whole.

Cant help but imagine what could have been.

But yeah...looks like Supermans relegated to the smallscreen with Supergirl about to take his place on the big screen

Sigh
So the end we predicted is here.Even the most obtuse of fanboys have to admit Snyder did more damage to Superman and the DCEU as a whole.

But yeah...looks like Supermans relegated to the smallscreen with Supergirl about to take his place on the big screen
It wasn't that hard to predict for some of us either. Luckily it wasn't the worst case scenario... but dammit if DC/WB didn't get close to it.

Superman wont appear on the small screen so long as Supergirl exists, and they're not about to cancel Supergirl in favour of a Superman show. It just isn't going to happen. Supergirl is a popular show now, and it's female led, they're not about to can it in favour of another male-led show.

Likewise, Supergirl appearing on the big screen I can't see happening without a big screen Superman to introduce her. I know there are plans, but that's just DC/WB clutching at another wild idea because they're struggling. I don't see the Supergirl film happening anytime soon - at least not until the CW Supergirl has wrapped up (which, coincidently, may be before Arrow or Flash do) - Melissa has a lot more opportunities compared to Grant & Stephen, so if there comes a time when she's had enough, she'll be out.

Sigh

Yep. It’s a little hard to deny that Snyder’s approach was just wrong, right from the start. WB should not have handed him the keys to the kingdom. He was the wrong man for the job, pure and simple. Sigh.

I do think that's what's going to happen if the Supergirl movie is a success.

Why would there be updates? WB said what they said.

Its not Snyder's fault. Its WB's. MOS was great and WW was too, because they didn't touch them. The others they did, and the end result of the DCEU now is based on their actions, and on them not admitting they're to blame.

Ignore the other films

Best thing to do

That just causes more problems, so why bother suggesting it. Just admit they exist and move on.

Well, after a mediocre film that made mediocre money, a terrible film that suffered one of the worst box office drop offs in history, and another terrible film that bombed.... you ain’t getting one.

On that comment on MOS, neither is correct. But I hate WB because you know they wanted, for every DC film which isn't going to happen and they better know this now, they wanted Dark Knight money for MOS. THEY WERE NEVER GOING TO GET THAT. At least not until they had a great film follow up, and that could've been a MOS2 or even a unaltered BvS or even JL.

Its not Snyder's fault. Its WB's. MOS was great and WW was too, because they didn't touch them. The others they did, and the end result of the DCEU now is based on their actions, and on them not admitting they're to blame.

Oh yes, I forgot that WB chained Snyder to a chair and forced him to make poor movies for them with bad characterisations. Poor old Zack! He's just a victim in all of this.

On that comment on MOS, neither is correct. But I hate WB because you know they wanted, for every DC film which isn't going to happen and they better know this now, they wanted Dark Knight money for MOS. THEY WERE NEVER GOING TO GET THAT. At least not until they had a great film follow up, and that could've been a MOS2 or even a unaltered BvS or even JL.

MoS was mediocre, in every sense of the word. It underperformed at the box office, received middling reviews, and was received by the audience with a mediocre reception. You may love it, but that doesn't change the fact it was not a great success. Had it been, we would have had MoS 2 and not BvS.

MoS would have made Dark Knight money if it had been a better film.

Your need to absolve Snyder of all blame for this mess, prevents you from seeing things objectively. Snyder is by no means the only culprit in all of this, but he is one of the main ones. Man Of Steel is his movie, and so is BvS.

Yeah, I like MoS but some of the choices he made there kept it from being the success it could have been. And that makes the movie so frustrating to me. Like, it's so close to being a great Superman movie but some of his choices (Clark letting his dad die, Superman not becoming Superman until he's forced to, Superman literally bringing a fight with massive collateral damage into a populated area, etc.) just kept it from being the exhilarating and fun experience it should have been.

And BvS would have been a bad movie even without WB meddling in post-production. Superman being a dour pariah, Batman acting like a murdering psychopath, Lex being... whatever he was supposed to be, Doomsday looking like a cave troll with 1990s CGI, trying to pull off the Death of Superman storyline in the SECOND movie... that was all Snyder. Maybe WB made it worse but it wasn't a good movie to begin with. I believe Justice League was very much the same situation.

Sigh

Most other directors probably would have made similar films to what Snyder did. I think a lot of executives, critics, audiences believed the character needed to be made a lot more angsty. And very much believed that after SR a new Superman movie needed a lot of action.

Most other directors probably would have made similar films to what Snyder did. I think a lot of executives, critics, audiences believed the character needed to be made a lot more angsty. And very much believed that after SR a new Superman movie needed a lot of action.
I doubt that.

Snyder had a very great eye for details and a unique visual style to his movies. Even in story elements... not many directors are inclined to take such bold steps as Zack Snyder.

No director... not Spielberg, Miller, Russos, Wachowskis, could attempt to do what Snyder did.

HECK! Whedon tried "right the ship" and yet his take could not mesh with what Snyder had built. And Whedon even brought Superman back in line prior to the angst after his resurrection.

So I think you're overstating the fallacy of what other directors can and are willing do with these characters in comparison to Snyder.

Snyder for all intents and purposes... is an island unto himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"