Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

I'm okay with recasting but I don't expect it to happen for a while.

Yeah we’re probably not seeing Superman again for a while.

IMO Snyder's Superman was still wayyyy better than Singer's Superman, now that's some serious brooding !

:up: For me it's not even close!

I'm okay with recasting but I don't expect it to happen for a while.

I don't want Cavill to go but I've more or less resigned myself to it, accepted it, and am looking to move on. Really stoked about a Supergirl movie anyway.

Yeah I feel like the earliest we'll get a Superman movie is like 2022 or 2023... Isn't there some requirement that they need to make have movie in development every so many years or something like that?

Still pissed at the idea of a Supergirl movie especially if they are really planning on rebooting Superman down the line. You don't START with supergirl... it's like making a Nightwing movie before we get Batman introduced. It just doesn't make sense in my mind.

If you want to have Supergirl cameo on Krypton when you're reestablishing Superman's origin or something down the road I'm cool with that. I just feel like introducing Supergirl in the 70s before Superman in modern day just completely undermines the character and disrespects his significance to the DC universe as a whole.

I just feel like introducing Supergirl in the 70s before Superman in modern day just completely undermines the character and disrespects his significance to the DC universe as a whole.

I'd say seven Superman movies to Supergirl's one proves Warner Bros' 'respect' to the character.

Well, after a mediocre film that made mediocre money, a terrible film that suffered one of the worst box office drop offs in history, and another terrible film that bombed.... you ain’t getting one.

X-Men Apocalypse should've been the nail in the coffin for the X-Men franchise (the RT score is only a few points off from JL's), but yet Fox is making Dark Phoenix.

Another problem is that WB spends lavishly on their superhero films when they don't need to. Whether the next Superman film they do is with Cavill starring or not, they need to cap the budget at $175 million (after all Fox was able to make X-Men films at that price range with the current cast and ditto for Sony/Marvel's Spider-man Homecoming). And had they got Snyder on a tighter leash and had him listen to Nolan's suggestions, MOS would've been a thrifter $185 million film with more support behind it.

I think Cavill deserves a final film directed by someone who loves the character (like Nolan for Batman and Jenkins for Wonder Woman) and can make it for less than $200 million.

I'd say seven Superman movies to Supergirl's one proves Warner Bros' 'respect' to the character.

It's not about the number of films made, it's just that Supergirl should spin out of Superman and not precede him in the universe, standalone or shared.

Supergirl is the spin off/supporting character. While she probably should have had more than one by now, nobody should expect her to have as many as him. His brand is the one she's riding to success. Same for Robin and Batgirl.

Just doing a Supergirl movie is not disrespectful at all to Superman, but the way they seem to be prepared to go about doing it is pretty much a slap in the face. And who cares if he's had seven movies? Only two are universally considered good.

Supergirl vs Braniac is serious trolling of many fans though. I dislike this idea a lot and have wanted Superman vs Braniac for years. I am on board with doing a big budgeted supergirl film but not with braniac as the key villain

Supergirl is the spin off/supporting character. While she probably should have had more than one by now, nobody should expect her to have as many as him. His brand is the one she's riding to success. Same for Robin and Batgirl.

Just doing a Supergirl movie is not disrespectful at all to Superman, but the way they seem to be prepared to go about doing it is pretty much a slap in the face. And who cares if he's had seven movies? Only two are universally considered good.

This! The way they're going about making it just seems like a slap in the face to the character. It's like making a Robin/Nightwing standalone movie without first establishing Batman.

It's really the 70s period piece thing that bugs me. Why would you just completely undermine Superman in the present day like that?

If they wanted to bring in Supergirl so badly, I would set it completely off world, maybe Thor: Ragnarok style on War World? Have the movie end with her landing on Earth setting up a team up with Superman in a standalone Superman sequel.

This is nothing to do with insulting fans, or disrespecting fictional characters. It's simply a sensible business decision.

Superman Returns under performed, Man of Steel was not the hit Warner Bros wanted, and Batman v Superman and Justice League didn't do Superman any favours with the general public.

Supergirl has a highly successful TV series, and after the success of Wonder Woman and the huge anticipation of Captain Marvel, now is the time for another female-starring superhero movie.

I get the business side of it and I think a big budget Supergirl film is long time overdue and I really look forward to it. I just hope the villain isn’t Braniac. I have always hoped as a fan to see Superman face off against Braniac

This is nothing to do with insulting fans, or disrespecting fictional characters. It's simply a sensible business decision.

Superman Returns under performed, Man of Steel was not the hit Warner Bros wanted, and Batman v Superman and Justice League didn't do Superman any favours with the general public.

Supergirl has a highly successful TV series, and after the success of Wonder Woman and the huge anticipation of Captain Marvel, now is the time for another female-starring superhero movie.

I get the business side of it and I think a big budget Supergirl film is long time overdue and I really look forward to it. I just hope the villain isn’t Braniac. I have always hoped as a fan to see Superman face off against Braniac
One suggestion I've seen floating about as an alternative is Cyborg Superman (New 52/Zor-El version), and so long as the writers didn't try to make some Skywalkerish twist reveal out of it I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea. They could still hint at Brainiac without actually directly involving him, plus if this thing is still supposed to be part of the DCEU and the studio still has a problem with Cavill (for whatever reason) they could easily cast someone else to play CS since usually (in the comics) only an upper quarter of the guy's face is visible through the bionics.

Thing is, after BvS they could have easily introduced the reign of the superman characters - Supergirl, Superboy could be clones. Eradicator could mysteriously show up, Cyborg superman should have been a thing, as Steel.

Batman could have gone back to Gotham feeling sorry for himself, recollected his thoughts, gathered the bat family in and expressed himself, moving forward with a plan. Could have introduced us to bat girl, robin, night wing etc.

WW could have helped tracking down Flash, Cyborg, AM and GL.

Superboy and Supergirl could have really shone in this, along with Batman, night wing, WW, AM, flash and cyborg, Steel as they determine who has the body of Clark and who/what the eradicator and Cyborg are as they go rogue causing problems.

That one film introduces us to so many characters - imagine a Steel movie getting the green light from this, as well as Supergirl, Superboy, BoP would have made more sense too.

Doing a Supergirl movie may be a sensible business decision. That doesn't mean the way they are (appearing to be) going about doing it is sensible. As highly questionable as it is to introduce Supergirl with no immediate plans to have her interact with Superman (y'know, her only surviving blood relative whom she will want to meet following the horrible deaths of her mother, father and almost her entire species and world), they could still find a way to execute it. Nothing about moving forward with Supergirl requires her predating Superman as a superhero though. That's like having Dick Grayson become Robin shortly before the Waynes are murdered and then training/inspiring Bruce to become Batman. You just don't do it. It's unnecessary salt in the wound after their repeated mishandling of Superman.

Plus, we cannot put complete faith in this studio to treat Kara better than Clark. The fact that they might be thinking she should be in a period piece like WW because they are both women is raising a few red flags.

Thing is, after BvS they could have easily introduced the reign of the superman characters - Supergirl, Superboy could be clones. Eradicator could mysteriously show up, Cyborg superman should have been a thing, as Steel.

Batman could have gone back to Gotham feeling sorry for himself, recollected his thoughts, gathered the bat family in and expressed himself, moving forward with a plan. Could have introduced us to bat girl, robin, night wing etc.

WW could have helped tracking down Flash, Cyborg, AM and GL.

Superboy and Supergirl could have really shone in this, along with Batman, night wing, WW, AM, flash and cyborg, Steel as they determine who has the body of Clark and who/what the eradicator and Cyborg are as they go rogue causing problems.

That one film introduces us to so many characters - imagine a Steel movie getting the green light from this, as well as Supergirl, Superboy, BoP would have made more sense too.

It’s so disappointing the way they ignored the Reign of Supermen storyline. That’s half he appeal of doing Death of Superman. The subsequent story EXPLODED and expanded the Superman universe in a way that no other story ever really has IMO.

I love the Superfamily. They missed their perfect opportunity to introduce them.

It’s actually so unbelievable how horribly they ****ed up the DCU. I would be curious to see how it would’ve turned out if they just let Snyder do 5 movies set in an Elseworlds universe. From there, they could do the cinematic universe.

This is nothing to do with insulting fans, or disrespecting fictional characters. It's simply a sensible business decision [...] Supergirl has a highly successful TV series, and after the success of Wonder Woman and the huge anticipation of Captain Marvel, now is the time for another female-starring superhero movie.
Absolutely (and Marvel of course are also planning a Black Widow movie).

I’m very happy to see a bunch of female-led films but re Supergirl in particular, I’d like her to be done in a way that leaves open the possibility of interaction with Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"