Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

Oh totally. SR was awful. I mean yeah, Superman saved a lot of people and that's great, but Routh was like a mute in that movie, waaaaay more so than Cavill.

I thought the statistically speaking airplanes safety line didn't work, not sure if just because it was being used again or the delivery otherwise felt more smug than comforting.

I bet Singer’s sequel with Brainiac would’ve been better than MOS.

Rumors are it would have also involved Superman killing so that aspect would probably be as controversial.

I thought the statistically speaking airplanes safety line didn't work, not sure if just because it was being used again or the delivery otherwise felt more smug than comforting.

Rumors are it would have also involved Superman killing so that aspect would probably be as controversial.

Yeah, Routh's delivery of that line was so awkward. His performance in that movie was bad enough but it REALLY showed when he was rehashing lines Reeve delivered 5 MILLION times better.

Anyway, "Superman Returns Again" or whatever it was called would have concluded with SUPERMAN KILLING HIS OWN SON. If people reacted badly to Superman snapping Zod's neck, I can't imagine the backlash to Clark being forced to kill his own child.

Is there still noise about Michael B Jordan being a front runner for the new Supes?

Why do I feel like that metropolis show that was originally going to be for the DCU app is getting repurposed into this superman show?

I felt so too, simply because it came out of no where and felt forced... had superman spoke more and in that tone, it would have seemed more natural.

Honestly... what Bryan Singer thinking with that - totally misjudged it.

That whole movie was a massive miscalculation. Singer was basically trying to remake Superman (1978) as a sequel. And while other franchises have also tried that approach, with varying degrees of success, Singer’s film just felt like a desperate movie to placate the fanbase from a studio that didn’t know what to do with the character. After multiple false starts by other directors who wanted to reboot the franchise, all of a sudden Singer showed up, fresh off the success of the X-Men franchise, and sold them on the idea of tapping into the nostalgia of the Reeve movies. And I think at that point, WB was so desperate to get something going that they gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted—hence the reason the budget ballooned up to insane proportions.

^Wasn't a lot of the budget's size from the costs of the previous unmade projects?

That whole movie was a massive miscalculation. Singer was basically trying to remake Superman (1978) as a sequel. And while other franchises have also tried that approach, with varying degrees of success, Singer’s film just felt like a desperate movie to placate the fanbase from a studio that didn’t know what to do with the character. After multiple false starts by other directors who wanted to reboot the franchise, all of a sudden Singer showed up, fresh off the success of the X-Men franchise, and sold them on the idea of tapping into the nostalgia of the Reeve movies. And I think at that point, WB was so desperate to get something going that they gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted—hence the reason the budget ballooned up to insane proportions.
It came off as too campy. While Snyder's came off as too serious... there's a middle ground there that I feel hasn't been explored. A Superman movie can be grounded but part of the charm of his world comes through character interactions and development without having EVERYTHING be over the top.

It came off as too campy. While Snyder's came off as too serious... there's a middle ground there that I feel hasn't been explored. A Superman movie can be grounded but part of the charm of his world comes through character interactions and development without having EVERYTHING be over the top.
Really the only place that's gotten that right is in the animated world. If they can find the sweet spot in live action they could make something great. There's no need to reinvent the wheel for someone like superman.

It’s pretty crazy to me that people don’t look at the insanely popular/successful DCAU for inspiration. I know some people have issues with STAS’ Superman, but I think most people can agree that using his characterization as a basis for a film would be a solid start.

It’s pretty crazy to me that people don’t look at the insanely popular/successful DCAU for inspiration. I know some people have issues with STAS’ Superman, but I think most people can agree that using his characterization as a basis for a film would be a solid start.
Other than his low (relatively speaking) power level I think that version would be a great model to build from.

Other than his low (relatively speaking) power level I think that version would be a great model to build from.

I personally didn’t mind it, but I know others did and do, so I made sure to specify that I was talking about his personality (characterization).

I actually prefer his power levels being more akin to STAS and the JL cartoons. The characterization was great, I even liked the way he fought. Big massive walloping swings. The dcau was great.

The DCAU has pitch perfect adaptations of Batman and Superman, and as a whole, it's my all time favorite piece of visual media.

Yeah, for the life of me, I’ll never understand why DC’s film division ignores the animated side and seems to be like, “We’re not taking any cues from that; we know better.” Yes, because making a film that people actually like would be SUCH a terrible idea.

Egos. They sit in their ivory tower confident in the knowledge that they are the end all be all when it comes to these kinda films, and if we don't like the product they put out, then we're idiots for not liking it.

greedy and brainless. they just want the golden eggs the soonest possible. and they always thought the death of superman story is the best and most profitable. but they forgot that the comic books have been developing superman for 70s years. the film? he barely has established his name in MOS. or they thought everyone has read the comics and has the emotion investment for superman, therefore, they don't have to establish him properly.

Yeah, the reason why the Death of Superman was such an epic moment in comics (even if the writing on it was somewhat poor... basically just 8 issues or whatever of Supes and Doomsday pounding the crap out of each other) is because Superman had been such a well-known established character. WB and Snyder were banking on people already knowing Superman instead of taking the time to fully develop their version of the character, so when he dies in BvS, the audience reaction was kinda like, "Oh. That sucks. Hey, what do you guys want to do for dinner?"

Reactions: sf2
Yeah, for the life of me, I’ll never understand why DC’s film division ignores the animated side and seems to be like, “We’re not taking any cues from that; we know better.” Yes, because making a film that people actually like would be SUCH a terrible idea.

Don’t be silly Deck. You’ll be suggesting the film people pay attention to successful and popular comic writers like Scott Snyder next.

I really want a new Superman film. I have great ideas, and they really need to make this movie because everyone wants it and they think the opposite.

I really want a new Superman film. I have great ideas, and they really need to make this movie because everyone wants it and they think the opposite.
wonder... Do they know everyone wants it/ or they think everyone dislike a new superman film and don't want it. or it is purely because they think a new superman film won't make big money. or they just don't know what to do with superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"