Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

So, just so I have everything straight, in development currently we have...

- A Joker movie without Batman
- A Supergirl movie without Superman
- A Lois Lane and Lex Luthor TV series without Superman
- A Nightwing movie without Batman
- A Birds of Prey movie without Barbara Gordon
- Is that Batgirl movie (presumably without Batman) still happening?

Now all we need is a Robin origin film that Batman doesn't factor into at all, a Bizarro origin movie where he just wears street clothes so we don't have to acknowledge any relationship to Superman, and a Reverse Flash movie that's just called "Reverse" since the Flash won't be a part of it.

1g1o85.gif

Nightwing & Batgirl & that Metropolis TV Show has been cancelled for a while now & you forgot New Gods with the A Wrinkle In Time director

YAY (imagine this as sarcastic as possible)

Oh okay I hadn't heard that Metropolis was canceled. At least that's a smart move.

As for New Gods, I am interested in that because Ana Duverney is a good director (Wrinkle in Time aside) but the lack of news around that film is a bit concerning, given WB's track record of hiring directors who later jump ship.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I feel that DC didn't treat the character right....but I think that Cavill had the right look for Supes and would have done great if given the right production.

I feel bad for Cavill. He could've been a great Superman but alas, he got the short end of the stick.

I say after Aquabro, Shazam, and WW84 just cancel the whole connected universe thing and make good movies. And please, for the love of God, do not announce a new DC movie that's in development evety month

I feel bad for Cavill. He could've been a great Superman but alas, he got the short end of the stick.

I say after Aquabro, Shazam, and WW84 just cancel the whole connected universe thing and make good movies. And please, for the love of God, do not announce a new DC movie that's in development evety month

At this point, it’s obvious only Marvel knows what they are doing in regards to cinematic universes. Focus on individual movies that live in the same universe. Don’t force the connections between them.

I couldn't care less. No impact after three movies, let him go. He was just as much at fault as Snyder. A great actor can elevate the material.

Cavill leaving the role would be a real shame. I thought he was great as a more realistic, conflicted Kal-El in Man of Steel; and when the time came to do the charming, confident Reeve-style Superman in Justice League, he did that well too.

If he is going though, he's had a good run; he's fought classic villains Zod, Faora, Doomsday, Lex Luthor and Steppenwolf; he's fought Batman; he's joined the justice League (and fought them as well). He's died and been reborn. Cavil has essentially been through the main highlights of Superman's comicbook history.

WB wasted Superman again. Cavill and his team have been making moves to secure his future career whether Superman is part of it or not.

I’m kind of indifferent. Best of luck to Mr. Cavil on his future endeavors but at this point this universe is struggling and everything in this franchise besides Wonder Woman feels like it’s in limbo.

I liked Cavill in the role and I even like Man of Steel a lot. I'm not exactly sad for him because I don't think he's missing out on being in a universally acclaimed and adored superhero movie. I think the Witcher is a lot more exciting for him than what this tumultuous road has been. The fact that we got BvS and still don't have a true Superman movie shows that he isn't that much of a priority, so why should Cavill have to stick around.

DC needs to give up having a connected cinematic universe. WW is keeping everything that's working and I could care less if it fits with the continuity of other DC movies.

Very wise decision from Henry.

Now - when Aquaman underperforms.... REBOOT.

Thai disappoints me greatly and makes me lose interest in this DC universe a lot. I personally thought Cavill was a great Superman and Man of Steel is unapologetically one of my favorite superhero films.

And Michale B Jordan as Superman? I don’t care if you call me racist but he didn’t fit the role at all imo. This seems like WB immediately jumping on the Black Panther train and wanting a black superhero

When... and I do mean when Aquaman underperforms, the writing should be on the wall for the entire project.

So now DC has very pissed off Batfleck fans, Zack Snyder fans, Chris Terrio fans & Henry Cavill fans. Would any part of the fan base wanna see these movies LMAO

Thai disappoints me greatly and makes me lose interest in this DC universe a lot. I personally thought Cavill was a great Superman and Man of Steel is unapologetically one of my favorite superhero films.

And Michale B Jordan as Superman? I don’t care if you call me racist but he didn’t fit the role at all imo. This seems like WB immediately jumping on the Black Panther train and wanting a black superhero

Which is weird since there are plenty of cool Black Heroes in DC's Library but they wanna keep using the famous ones & changing them

Really terrible news day. I'm still hoping it's not true. Cavill gave me the Superman movie I waited for since the mid-90s. I absolutely, unashamedly LOVE MOS and (after a few months of thinking about it) I still consider it the greatest superhero movie of all time. I'm sure they were wasting his time and he knew it.

WB DC need to get their heads out of their demigods and stop being in such awe of these characters that they can rarely give us a decent movie. I don't watch the Supergirl TV show nowadays, but I remember when Superman first came on that show how the characters were like 'ooh' and 'aah' and 'ermagosh, it's Superman, everyone bow'. You, WBDC, haven't earned the right with that specific actor to try and manipulate us into feeling that way. It's not enough that Superman is a great fictional character. The actors you get to play the characters have to EARN those reactions from us. And unfortunately, it looks like Cavill won't get that movie. What a shame. What a waste of talent. What an overconfident, deluded and greedy bunch you had meddling with your follow-up to MOS. I thought things were going to be different now, and I still have hope for WW84, Joker, and heck, whatever else you have lined up (I'll always give a DC movie the benefit of the doubt), but if you truly lost Cavill due to your negligence, you're a bunch of spineless, incompetent, reactionary fools.

*goes and puts on MOS for the umpteenth time and dreams about what could've been*

Really terrible news day. I'm still hoping it's not true. Cavill gave me the Superman movie I waited for since the mid-90s. I absolutely, unashamedly LOVE MOS and (after a few months of thinking about it) I still consider it the greatest superhero movie of all time. I'm sure they were wasting his time and he knew it.

WB DC need to get their heads out of their demigods and stop being in such awe of these characters that they can rarely give us a decent movie. I don't watch the Supergirl TV show nowadays, but I remember when Superman first came on that show how the characters were like 'ooh' and 'aah' and 'ermagosh, it's Superman, everyone bow'. You, WBDC, haven't earned the right with that specific actor to try and manipulate us into feeling that way. It's not enough that Superman is a great fictional character. The actors you get to play the characters have to EARN those reactions from us. And unfortunately, it looks like Cavill won't get that movie. What a shame. What a waste of talent. What an overconfident, deluded and greedy bunch you had meddling with your follow-up to MOS. I thought things were going to be different now, and I still have hope for WW84, Joker, and heck, whatever else you have lined up (I'll always give a DC movie the benefit of the doubt), but if you truly lost Cavill due to your negligence, you're a bunch of spineless, incompetent, reactionary fools.

*goes and puts on MOS for the umpteenth time and dreams about what could've been*

Please include Zack Snyder in your list of people to blame, because he absolutely is partly responsible for Cavill leaving like this.

Please include Zack Snyder in your list of people to blame, because he absolutely is partly responsible for Cavill leaving like this.

& Christopher Nolan is responsible for Zack Snyder being hired lol

I'm not surprised.
MoS was ok, but was choppy. It was a good foundation to build a proper sequel on tho.
We all hoped the sequel would be better, but instead WB got cold feet and we got the BvS announcement instead.

Ok cool. It will make at least a billion, guaranteed. (Lol ) I mean how can you mess up a film with Superman, batman and wonder woman in it.

It was mediocre.

Ok fine. WB will fix things in JL.
Calls for a change of director were made.
Fans begged WB to slow down with JL, make sure you get it right, etc etc.
Less than a 2 hour run time?? Uh oh.

It will be fine tho, right? RIGHT?

NOPE. They didnt listen. JL was one big steaming pile of horses $#@&.

Now, what I feared would happen HAS happened. Cavill out, Ben most likely out as well.
The common problem going all the way back to SR and GL is WB.

THEY.DO.NOT.GET.IT.

I just dont think I have it in me anymore to have to yet again wait years and years for a glimmer of hope on a new superman film announcement from a studio that I'm about 70% sure will screw it up anyway, and then having to endure the casting search yet again.

You had a perfect superman, but you parked him like a new Ferrari that you were afraid to cut loose with and drive.

Last edited:
& Christopher Nolan is responsible for Zack Snyder being hired lol

Well, two things: he was the fourth or fifth choice of Nolan et al. And second: why does it matter? Nolan checked out of the superhero business after Rises. He had nothing to do with the DCEU.

Well, two things: he was the fourth or fifth choice of Nolan et al. And second: why does it matter? Nolan checked out of the superhero business after Rises. He had nothing to do with the DCEU.

Isnt it on record that Nolan helped get Man Of Steel green lit to begin with ? I just think you dont like the fact that Christopher Nolan played a part in this

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I hear a 'we've sacked him' / 'I quit', I ain't believing Sir Jack of S**t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"