Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

I really don't care about supergirl, not enough to spend my money to see her on the big screen anyway.
The only films they have announced that I am even remotely interested in are.
Shazam ( will see )
Joker ( may see )
WW2. ( will see )
AQ ( idk, may give it a shot, may not )

I’m still looking forward to WW2, Shazam, and Awuaman but the rest coming up after. Eh. Especially these standalone villain movies

This is Warner Brothers where bad news or rumors eventually become true

Granted, their capacity to 'manage' their properties and acting talent has a chequered history but I want Henry to stay so bad.

How can AT&T even be happy about this lol. Surely even after the short time they have owned the WB they gotta be tired of the bad PR by now

What I don't get is why there is always so much shade being thrown at DC movies, the amount of rumors that just haven't been true..yete some how marvel films can seem to do no wrong, but the rumors just aren't widespread like they are like the dceu.

We've had directors fired from both camps, yet "The Batman's" was a big deal when Affleck was brought in, and that he wanted out, and we were told he might give up before even JL...and yet as far as we know he's still in.

Now, this recent cavill news, which has already been shut down by the idea by Cavill's agent, is literally plastered over every media outlet, and yet nobody can name this "Un-named source"

I really hate to believe in conspiracy theories, but either WB just likes the discussion happening around their characters, or someone is legitimately wanting to make the DCEU come across as unsalvageable at this point, as if its even in the same realm as "the dark universe" or fox's fantastic four films.

I predicted a while ago that Batman and Superman would likely be rebooted in order to move forward. It now seems that's the way they're going . Its an shared universe ala carte in which WB is gonna pick and chose what it keeps. Gadot , Aquaman, Shazam , BOP, they stay. Joker, Supergirl, The Batman, Batgirl, and the new Superman, are gonna be their "own thing".

What I don't get is why there is always so much shade being thrown at DC movies, the amount of rumors that just haven't been true..yete some how marvel films can seem to do no wrong, but the rumors just aren't widespread like they are like the dceu.

We've had directors fired from both camps, yet "The Batman's" was a big deal when Affleck was brought in, and that he wanted out, and we were told he might give up before even JL...and yet as far as we know he's still in.

Now, this recent cavill news, which has already been shut down by the idea by Cavill's agent, is literally plastered over every media outlet, and yet nobody can name this "Un-named source"

I really hate to believe in conspiracy theories, but either WB just likes the discussion happening around their characters, or someone is legitimately wanting to make the DCEU come across as unsalvageable at this point, as if its even in the same realm as "the dark universe" or fox's fantastic four films.

Marvel get a free pass for being so 'creative' and being able to 'do no wrong', plus seemingly a lot of people think Feige walks on water.

Marvel get a free pass for being so 'creative' and being able to 'do no wrong', plus seemingly a lot of people think Feige walks on water.

The MCU does not give up when problems happen or something is not as successful like the WB does

Thats the big difference

The MCU does not give up when problems happen or something is not as successful like the WB does

Thats the big difference

When you release a template film structure 20 times in a row, it's not that difficult to 'mess up'.

The best thing they could have done is keep Man of Steel and Wonder Woman canon and ignore the rest of the films. It would be a nice compromise and respect the Snyder fans but also open things up they don’t feel restrained

When you release a template film structure 20 times in a row, it's not that difficult to 'mess up'.

& the MCU also STAYED THE PATH. They did not panic & kill Thor after Thor 2 did not work. They did not panic after The Incredible Hulk did not work etc. They did not panic when people complained about Iron Man 3. They STAYED THE PATH & LEARNED AS THEY WENT ALONG. Warner Brothers panics & changes everything when things go wrong

This is the difference between the two

Its almost as if Marvel have created a highly successful franchise, whereas as DC have ****ed it up.

Success breeds trust and goodwill. Failure, the opposite.

There were TONS of people saying that Ant-Man was gonna fail for the Edgar Wright scenario and people saying Ant-Man was way too obscure. I saw comments on every trade and even Reddit after the first GOTG trailers that the film was about Z-listers with no huge cast name and was gonna flop. I saw people even after GOTG got tremendous reviews say “I dunno, I still say it’s gonna flop.”

You don’t see that much anymore because by a lot of peoples’ standards the MCU is either 20-0 or at worst like 16-4. And by a lot of peoples’ standards the DCEU is either 1-4 or 2-3 for movies.

I refuse to entertain you discounting the source for being unnamed. That’s how sources work and how they give up information without sabotaging their careers. Some WB exec isn’t obliged to screw up their and their families’ lives to please some fanboys that want a name they’ll just discredit anyway. If Deadline, THR or Variety runs a story, they did their journalistic research because they’re known as THE reliable film trades and a clickbait title or two is not worth literally decades of journalistic reputation. Can information be outdated or no longer the case? Sure - see “Alec Baldwin in Joker.” But it’s true he was circling it at one point, the source just might have been a week behind.

You see more stories about DC shenanigans because people don’t think they have a cohesive plan. Marvel has had hiccups (see Inhumans) and plan changes but if you hear about a Marvel movie being produced, it’s almost definitely happening. And even now we know of a few rumored for the MCU - obvious sequels, Black Widow, Eternals. For DC movies that WB has hired people for we’ve got off the top of my head several Joker movies, several Harley movies, a Harley/Joker movie, the MOS sequel we know now is dead, the dead JL Volume 2, several versions of a Batman script, Supergirl, Green Lantern, Cyborg, Birds of Prey, Flashpoint, Booster Gold, a Suicide Squad sequel, and more. MAYBE a few of those get made? Now I’m sure Marvel spitballs some bad ideas behind closed doors that don’t proceed. But you have one group with a consistent and longer track record that seems to have two or three new plates to juggle, and one group with an inconsistent and shorter track record that seems to be juggling 20 new plates and is waiting to see which are the 15 or 17 that fall to the floor first.

As far as you literally suggesting conspiracy theory, who on EARTH has that power? I’m not being rhetorical - what exactly are you suggesting that the majority of critics and fans are duped by? I mean look at Star Wars (and I’m a Star Wars fan including the sequels) - look how divided the fan reception is not just compared to critics but amongst themselves. And as insane as I think the “hurr durr this company is just paying off people to say good things despite that literally being a conspiracy that would have to involve hundreds of thousands of people and would be easy to get evidence for” concept is, if DISNEY can’t do it for their own iconic property what makes you think that any studio can just force public opinion like that? It’s seriously so easy to think that say Disney can spend an impossible amount of money on trying to sabotage other cinematic universes but not apply the positive inverse to freaking STAR WARS?

Fact is and Kevin Feige will be the first to admit it and he has - millions of people that see MCU movies couldn’t tell you with confidence which films are Marvel and which are DC, which Marvel movies are done by Marvel Studios and which are made by Fox or Sony, etc. It literally would be better for the competition if DC’s movies were crushing it. Would you rather have that average casual fan saying “man, every superhero movie these days is crazy, gotta see the next one” or “oh, I might skip this one because half of the superhero movies these days are good and half aren’t.”

And please, I’m not a Marvel fanboy, I’m a comics fanboy. I think Cavill was rock solid and I’m all for more great hero films in general. But I won’t entertain conspiracy theories just because they’re easier to blame than accepting that my opinions on Man of Steel are in the relative minority.

& the MCU also STAYED THE PATH. They did not panic & kill Thor after Thor 2 did not work. They did not panic after The Incredible Hulk did not work etc. They did not panic when people complained about Iron Man 3. They STAYED THE PATH & LEARNED AS THEY WENT ALONG. Warner Brothers panics & changes everything when things go wrong

This is the difference between the two

None of those were failures...Maybe TiH didnt bring in the $$ they weren't expecting, but far from failures.

I also don't think marvel is creative with their approach, nor do I ever read that anyone is claiming that. I do think they've done some really cool scenes lately (with Ant-man / Doctor strange in particular).

WB's biggest and only panic so far was JL, there was talks about Suicide Squad being more in line as style a GotG, but when I see SS I don't see any similarities to GotG.

The rest is just trying to find the right people for the roles - sure the people talking mention what they'd like to get going on, in a set order...but if they cant find the right people for the role than obviously its not being made.

My un-named source told me all of marvels heroes are quitting.

:whatever:

WB is doing what WB has done since Superman 4. The Nolan trilogy was an aberration . The DCEU mess, the Burton/Schumacer mess, the Superman lives scripts etc, is much more their natural state as opposed to some recent development.

Basically, you have a generation of fanboys who were either too young to appreciate it, or weren't born yet, to see how WB has generally handled these projects.

The big difference now is we're in 2018 : The age of blockbuster Superhero franchises which are taken seriously by general audiences, shared cinematic universes, and social media . We can see these train wrecks happening in real time as opposed to the 80s, 90s, and early 00s when there wasn't as much of a window into what went on behind the scenes and when most people, frankly, didn't give a damn.

While WB is trying to play catch up in a lot of ways , they still have very much a 80s and 90s mind set towards these projects and they are very much reactive .

Batman returns gets backlash from some parents groups and McDonalds in 1992, which leads to Burton being replaced by Schumacer and a lighter - kid friendly ,Batman film , which then goes overboard and ends the franchise with Batman and Robin, which basically puts another film in development for 8 years which means they shift they're attention to a Superman film which they're too afraid to make because of the B & R backlash, and so on and so forth. And that's just the 90s.

So yeah, this chaos that fanboys are mad about today is actual the norm for WB.

Keep in mind they failed once with Supergirl already on the big screen

I've gotten so used to Melissa Benoist as Supergirl on tv that I havea hard time getting interested in a Supergirl movie not starring her.

there was talks about Suicide Squad being more in line as style a GotG, but when I see SS I don't see any similarities to GotG..

giphy.gif

I will believe that Cavill is no longer Superman when it is officially announced.
Right now, it is just a lot of smoke without any fire.

I've gotten so used to Melissa Benoist as Supergirl on tv that I havea hard time getting interested in a Supergirl movie not starring her.
Benoist is good casting. I have to say though, as a fan of the CW shows, Supergirl and LOT are my least favorites. Supergirl pushes a political agenda, and that's not what I'm looking for in superhero television. I want escapism. I think we can do a lot better than the show.

If they reintroduce Superman and introduce Brainiac through the Supergirl movie, then I'm 100% on board.

Believe him. There were lots of people that were claiming SS was WB's answer to GOTG. I don't feel like digging up the original sources, but I definitely remember that. I followed the production closely.

WB is doing what WB has done since Superman 4. The Nolan trilogy was an aberration . The DCEU mess, the Burton/Schumacer mess, the Superman lives scripts etc, is much more their natural state as opposed to some recent development.

Basically, you have a generation of fanboys who were either too young to appreciate it, or weren't born yet, to see how WB has generally handled these projects.

The big difference now is we're in 2018 : The age of blockbuster Superhero franchises which are taken seriously by general audiences, shared cinematic universes, and social media . We can see these train wrecks happening in real time as opposed to the 80s, 90s, and early 00s when there wasn't as much of a window into what went on behind the scenes and when most people, frankly, didn't give a damn.

While WB is trying to play catch up in a lot of ways , they still have very much a 80s and 90s mind set towards these projects and they are very much reactive .

Batman returns gets backlash from some parents groups and McDonalds in 1992, which leads to Burton being replaced by Schumacer and a lighter - kid friendly ,Batman film , which then goes overboard and ends the franchise with Batman and Robin, which basically puts another film in development for 8 years which means they shift they're attention to a Superman film which they're too afraid to make because of the B & R backlash, and so on and so forth. And that's just the 90s.

So yeah, this chaos that fanboys are mad about today is actual the norm for WB.

Preach it, brother.

DC characters aren’t getting the quality of treatment that Marvel characters do all the time DC is at WB.

...unless Nolan comes back, reboots the whole thing, and oversees a brand new DCU. And I have more chance of becoming president.

Benoist is good casting. I have to say though, as a fan of the CW shows, Supergirl and LOT are my least favorites. Supergirl pushes a political agenda, and that's not what I'm looking for in superhero television. I want escapism. I think we can do a lot better than the show.

If they reintroduce Superman and introduce Brainiac through the Supergirl movie, then I'm 100% on board.

A lower budget Supergirl movie starring Melissa Benoist makes a better profit than an expensive DCEU Supergirl film. Believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"