Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by jolldan, Sep 12, 2018.

1. StarLord

StarLord Boogeyman

You might be waiting a while. WB are s*** at announcing things.

2. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Oh but they released a statement saying they respect Cavill and have a good relationship with him. Didn't say a word about him staying on as Superman though. In other words they said a whole lot of nothing.

Kahran Ramsus, Brutikus and StarLord like this.
  3. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

...you wait until all the Snyderites realise that Cavill quitting means they’re absolutely certain to never see their Snyder cut of JL....

4. StarLord

StarLord Boogeyman

*WB Release Statement*

Everyone:

[​IMG]

Iceman, The Joker and Brutikus like this.
  5. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Maybe I should have been clear: I'm saying I don't believe that he doesn't see any similarity between Guardians and SS. It was blatantly clear well before SS premiered that's what they were going for.

6. GreenKToo

GreenKToo In the fire

I have zero faith in WB.
    It would take a nolan, spielburg, or abrams type of director to get me excited again.
    The kind of director that we know wouldn't screw things up but would have the power to tell WB to leave him alone.

7. Holy Slapper

Holy Slapper Well-Known Member

I don't see there being a political agenda. Then again women's empowerment or "girl power" has never been an issue for me. Perhaps it's due to being secure in my masculinity or living in a country where equal rights for men and women is the norm. I'm just pleased to see a comic book tv show respecting the comic origins and style so much. Arrow went so overboard with "gritty" that it became tiresome/dull. Supergirl is refreshing in that sense. Plus a Jay & Silent Bob cameo never hurts. :D

8. DoomRulz

DoomRulz A guy that comes and goes

Goodbye DCCU, we hardly knew ye.

Kill it, restart it with Nolan and Bale. Yes, I'm saying it. Fight me.

9. Blitzkrieg Bop

Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

I laughed when I read the news. Stick to the cartoons guys. Justice League: The New Frontier is on Hulu!

10. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Your condescension didn't go unnoticed, dawg. The rest I agree with.

11. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

I read it more as throwing shade than condescension. :yay:

Rodimus likes this.
  12. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

If you can't see the political agenda pushed by Supergirl and now Batwoman, then you need some glasses :)

EDIT: I don't appreciate the implication that my apprehension of the liberal agenda pushed by Supergirl (and now Batwoman) can easily be explained by an insecurity in my own masculinity. I generally have a liberal outlook, but I think Supergirl handles certain topics aggressively sometimes, and it can feel jarring and out of place when I'm just trying to watch a superhero show. Even if I agree with the ideas. But considering the current state of the internet and society at large, I'm sure everyone would love to make me out to be some alt-right a*****e, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. This very argument represents my issue with modern society. If you don't agree with 100% of the liberal agenda, you're insecure in your masculinity or worse, an alt right fascist. What happened to balanced opinions? It's really a shame, and thankfully this mindset hasn't really pervaded this side of the internet too badly yet.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. nick p

nick p Member

Keep Gal Gadot & her solo films as canon Keep Miller, Fisher & Momoa as their characters (and the Aquaman film in canon) Start fresh with Superman, Batman & the League coming together

14. JannTosh

JannTosh Well-Known Member

If they are getting rid of Cavill I would hope they get rid of Miller who sucked

Rorschach2012 likes this.
  15. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Cavill's exit, and the response to it , reminds me very much of what happened with Andrew Garfield 's ouster as Spiderman. You basically had an actor who was for the most part , favored by fans, but was saddled with polarizing films , due to studio interference, which really didn't appeal that much to general audiences.

Both films series tried to take a darker reboot approach to lighter toned characters only in the end to try to shoehorn shared universes and multiple characters. While Garfield got a direct sequel he had to share the screen with multiple characters, subplots, and clunky set ups for a shared universe. Cavill didn't get a direct sequel but ended up having to share the screen with multiple characters, subplots, and clunky set ups for a shared universe.

Then , in order to move forward from those films, and they mistakes they made, the studio decides to ditch the actor much to the backlash of fans.

I don't know if that means the next Superman actor will be as praised and embraced by general audiences, fans, and critics, as Tom Holland's Spiderman has been, but there certainly seem to be more than a few parallels between Andrew Garfield and Henry Cavill.

Rorschach2012 likes this.
  16. JannTosh

JannTosh Well-Known Member

I think there is a difference. On Garfield’s case, Spider-Man was going to join the MCU which made everyone overwhelmingly excited. Here we don’t know what WB’a future plans really are and what we hear doesn’t sound very promising

17. Monochron

Monochron Well-Known Member

Incidentally the the story WB should have look for the overall tone of their movie universe.

18. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Given this is the most talked about Supes has been in a while, WB needs to take this time to announce that Henry is staying and that a sequel is underway with a 2020 release date.

19. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Well-Known Member

I don't watch those shows.

:funny:

20. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

21. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

So vague. It's either in tribute to his time in the role, saying he's sticking around or is actually part of his negotiating to get a better deal from WB to stay?

22. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson None of this matters.

I officially have no idea who or what to believe

Wonderful

23. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

Well now the entire thing stinks of a negotiating tactic.

Still think it's a whole bunch of noise for nothing.

mclay18 likes this.
  24. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson None of this matters.

Yup, that’s the gut feeling I get as well

Henry and his manager got the reaction they were looking for, we’ll see if WB softens their stance after this

25. jmc

jmc away for a while

Definite negotiation ploy. Drum up support online. Side note, we can post Instagram posts too now? I clearly missed that announcement.