Heroes: Origins announced for next season

Philly Phanboy

LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/14/tv.newseason.ap/index.html

To stretch the normal 22-episode season of "Heroes," which faltered after its long hiatus this year, NBC will add "Heroes: Origins." The spinoff will introduce a new character each week, and viewers will select which one stays for the following season. The two series will have 30 new episodes combined

So we're not only getting more Heroes next season but a character origin specific spin off as well. Sounds cool but the idea of having the viewers select which character to add to the series could be a recipe for disaster. :word:

theres no point in voting mikah is just gonna pick who he likes to win so i refuse to vote

Yeah, I dont like the idea of viewers picking which character stays. Let the writers do what's best for the story they have planned out.

I hope this isn't overkill. They could have tried a couple of review/catch up shows to fill in the gaps. There's a lot going on in Heroes and some extended recaps, tying up the previous episodes and relationships might have been nice. Whatever, a 6 week hiatus is ridiculous.

The viewer voting thing just seems like nonsense. I rather the creators decide how this thing was going to work and a have an idea how to incorporate 'the new guy' into the mix.

The viewer voting thing just seems like nonsense. I rather the creators decide how this thing was going to work and a have an idea how to incorporate 'the new guy' into the mix.

You just know that the hottest looking actress involved in the Origin spinoff will get the most votes....unless Sanjaya gets cast somehow. :oldrazz:

You just know that the hottest looking actress involved in the Origin spinoff will get the most votes.
That's the only circumstance under which this thing works. :up:

Then I... err, people could stop ogling Hayden... cause I don't do that. :ninja:

I'm reading it... and I don't get it... like... I see the concept, but it can't materialize in my mind... is this like Hero Idol, where they'll have a super-high turnaround time on characters?

Are each of these episodes a stand-alone "Origin" story of each Hero? Is this show going to be show during the hiatus (better), or after the season finale shows in like, March (awkward) or what?

That said, it is one of the better spinoff ideas I've seen... sure beats my "Sidekicks" idea...

having one character that we get to vote on at the end of the season that would be added to the rest would be cool. This is a prety good idea that will keep me watching.I just hope they don't waste a cool super power on a lame character that we wouldn't be able to see. Like if they had a speedster(cool power) who's character personality was like D.L.'s(lame character).

I don't know. It could be good but I guess we'll have to see.

NBC will try to stretch ''Heroes'' by spinning off a related six-episode ''Heroes: Origins'' series that lets the audience choose a new cast member.

Fourth-place NBC was the first of the broadcast networks to unveil a new fall schedule to advertisers this week. After showing signs of life last fall, NBC recorded its least-watched week in prime time in at least 20 years last month then went even lower the following week.

With only four new dramas set to bow in the fall, and a drama and comedy each scheduled for midseason, it's a conservative schedule for a network badly in need of hits.

"Loading up on (new) product is not necessarily a recipe for success,'' said Kevin Reilly, NBC entertainment president. ''Particularly in this day and age, with a fragmented audience, you simply can't market them.''

"Bionic Woman'' will air Wednesday, ahead of a new drama about a detective given a second chance after being wrongly jailed for a crime.

"Journeyman,'' about the calendar-skipping reporter, gets the post-''Heroes'' time slot on Mondays. The computer geek ''Chuck'' shows off on Wednesday.

''We like the high-concept hooks,'' Reilly said. ''But this was by no means an effort to replicate what we have on 'Heroes.'''

The six-episode ''Heroes: Origins'' series is a novel way for a network to address one of its chief unpleasant lessons this season: viewers are impatient when their favorite serials disappear into reruns for a huge chunk of the year. Each episode will introduce a potential new character, and the most popular chosen by fans will join the ''Heroes'' cast full time.

http://www.craveonline.com/filmtv/articles/04647917/new_heroes_mini_series.html

The Six week spinoff sounds amazing. I'm just not 100% on the voting thing.

Being a speedster in real life is NOT a cool power... only with comic book physics is it worth anything...

And we all know DL rocks :)

That said, I think it'd be a great chance to show off some extras that get used as Syalr-fodder (or similar Hero-killing machines) in the coming season... I think it could be pretty cool as a break-filler.

Could be fun. At least nice to give viewers the chance to shape some aspect of the show.

found this little nugget:

"The 'Origins' hours will delve into the back stories of additional, new characters within the 'Heroes' universe. Viewers may vote to determine which character should join the main series the next season.

Clearly, it's a way to make the series interactive for viewers and to pad the hours without touching the main storyline.

On a conference call, NBC president Kevin Reilly cited Charlie, the waitress with the perfect memory, as an example of a peripheral character whose story will be told in 'Origins'."

http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment/ci_5912939

Being a speedster in real life is NOT a cool power... only with comic book physics is it worth anything...

Well luckily being a speedster in real life is also impossible, so that's not something we have to worry about.

Hm...I'll definitely watch this, but I'm skeptical. The idea of ancillary side stories (like the comics) is pretty cool, but I'm not sure how useful the whole "voting" aspect is. I imagine the show will either be cancelled in favor of the original or the voting aspect will eventually be dropped entirely.

I'm also hoping that when DVD time comes around for Season 2, they add these to the original Heroes set as opposed to putting out an over-priced additional set.

this smells like a disaster to me.

we'll watch heaps on origin stories and then only ONE will be worked into the story.

waste of time, and i'm guessing the production value and writing will be way under the level of your average heroes ep.

hope im wrong.

I guess I don't understand how network television works. Why can't they just make Heroes more than 22 episodes? Y'know, with NO hiatus; except maybe Christmas and New Year's.

Well there's budget reasons why networks only do roughly 22 episodes. Competition against other networks and sweeps periods. Plus attracting advertisers. Then there's holidays. Oh and overkill. Can't forget that.

I guess I don't understand how network television works. Why can't they just make Heroes more than 22 episodes? Y'know, with NO hiatus; except maybe Christmas and New Year's.

well, if your not joking, that's not how it works.

I think the voting is just a ploy and they'll predetermine the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"