Heroes Strike Thread (Post all strike related news in here)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Gold Samurai, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Superpowers Registered

That's a shame. I mean, I see where they're coming from. But they're just making it worse for themselves by not budging. Best case scenario, we'll have a repeat of 1988 and they'll go five months without work before they finally cave to something they could have had much sooner.

Worst case scenario, the networks get sick of the WGA and cut their losses and start hiring writers for less money. Then where does that leave the people who are in the WGA?

2. Eddie Brock Golden Domer

How does ANYTHING of what you're saying qualify as "constructive criticism?"

:huh:

You're basically saying that NBC has lost faith in their HIT TV SHOW, and that they're looking for a replacement in that time slot...even though people have clearly pointed out that Episode 11 is the perfect breaking point, should writing cease.

Stop trying to defend yourself if you're not going to do it well. :whatever:

3. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

No, I am making a logical assumption of a possibility based on the fact that ratings have dropped by nearly 50 % this year

4. Kelly #RESIST

I don't see the second scenario happening....

its 5:18 LA time, so hopefully we will hear something soon....

5. Gold Samurai Registered

6. Kelly #RESIST

That was said earlier this weekend......

Is that after this last meeting?

7. Kelly #RESIST

Writers Deal Could Impact Other Unions
    By GARY GENTILE – 1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood writers were back at the bargaining table Sunday in a last-minute push to avoid a strike against TV networks and movie studios over writers' share of profits from DVDs and(AP) — the Internet.

The battle has broad implications for the way Hollywood does business, since whatever deal is struck by the Writers Guild of America will likely be used as a template for talks with actors and directors, whose contracts expire next June.

"We'll get what they get," Screen Actors Guild President Alan Rosenberg told The Associated Press.

Negotiators were meeting with a federal mediator Sunday evening in hopes of avoiding a strike that writers had set to begin 12:01 a.m. Monday.

The guild announced sweeping plans to picket every major studio in Los Angeles starting at 9 a.m. Monday, along with Rockefeller Center in New York, where NBC is headquartered.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers previously called a writers' strike "precipitous and irresponsible."

Producers believe progress can be made on other issues but "it makes absolutely no sense to increase the burden of this additional compensation," said J. Nicholas Counter, the producer's chief negotiator.

The guilds have been preparing for these negotiations for years, hiring staff with extensive labor union experience, and developing joint strategies and a harder line than producers have seen in decades.

"We haven't shown particular resolve in past negotiations," said John Bowman, the WGA's chief negotiator. "The sea change is that this is an enormously galvanizing issue, and two, that the new regime at the guild actually has a plan, has an organization and a structure to respond to something."

The writers are the first union to bargain for a new deal this year. Their contract expired Wednesday.

In past years, actors have almost always gone first, although the Directors Guild of America, which is seen as the least aggressive of the three guilds, has sometimes taken the lead. Whatever deal was struck first was usually accepted by the others.

The guilds are aware that if writers fail to win concessions involving DVDs and the Internet, actors may have to take up the fight.

"This is an issue that touches every member of this guild and every member of the Screen Actors Guild as well," said Carlton Cuse, executive producer of the ABC drama "Lost."

Consumers are expected to spend $16.4 billion on DVDs this year, according to Adams Media Research. By contrast, studios could generate only $158 million from selling movies online and about $194 million from selling TV shows over the Web, although those numbers are expected to skyrocket in coming years.

Studios argue that it is too early to know how much money they can make from offering entertainment on the Internet, cell phones, iPods and other devices.

Hollywood unions have long regretted a decision made in 1984 to accept a small percentage of home video sales because studios said the technology was untested and that costs were high. Writers only get about 3 cents on a typical DVD retailing for $20.

The guilds have tried and failed for two decades to increase video payments, even as DVDs have become more profitable for studios than box office receipts.

Unions say they won't make the same mistake when it comes to the Internet.

"I think we all understand what a crucial time in history this is," Rosenberg said. "We really feel if we can't get a fair formula in new media, we'll dig ourselves into the same type of hole we've been in with DVDs."

The first casualty of the strike would be late-night talk shows, which are dependent on current events to fuel monologues and other entertainment. Daytime TV, including live talk shows such as "The View" and soap operas, which typically tape about a week's worth of shows in advance, would be next to feel the impact.

The strike would not immediately impact production of movies or prime-time TV programs. Most studios have stockpiled dozens of movie scripts, and TV shows have enough scripts or completed shows in hand to last until early next year.

The actors' union has urged its members to join the writers' picket lines during their off hours.

If a writers strike lingers and actors show support, producers could try and undermine the writers' position by seeking a more favorable deal with directors.

Writers and directors have clashed in the past, mostly over writers' feelings that directors take too much credit for a movie and neglect the contribution of writers.

In 2004, the directors' union settled its contract first and backed down from demands for a higher share of profit from the lucrative DVD marketplace. Writers and actors then had little choice but to accept a similar deal.

"This is a bare knuckle fight and a chess game," said Jonathan Handel, an entertainment lawyer at the Los Angeles law firm of TroyGould.

"If producers do reach a deal with the DGA, it would be to cut the legs right out from under the strike. Then the focus shifts to SAG."

The DGA said it has not yet scheduled contract talks but was closely monitoring developments.

8. imdaly - Part 12

All the shows should just hire other non-unionized writers to jump in place. The WGA writers don't want their jobs? Well I'm sure some others would love them!

How about Bendis? He can write all the shows. ;)

9. Kelly #RESIST

Well, the meeting was at 10:00 a.m. this morning......I guess we aren't going to hear anything until tomorrow morning...

10. shapeshifter Registered

heroes stops production.
    well three cheers for the ****ing writers.
    drinks are on me.
    **** you heroes!

11. Kelly #RESIST

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeee....

12. carrrnuttt Registered

OMG!!! Someone call the WAAAAAAAHHHMBULANCE! :dry:

Dude. It's not the "heroes-fans" that are being "fickle" around here. YOU'RE the one who keeps whining about "story-pacing" or some such crap, that takes away from YOUR enjoyment of it.

Too flipping bad for you, yes, but you don't have to get all uppity and upset when someone disagrees with you, which happens to be a large majority of the posters in the SHH Heroes forum.

Like I said, wait for the eff-ing DVD to come out, so you can fast-forward to what makes YOU enjoy the show. All of your whining about the show and those of us who actually enjoy it exactly as it is won't change a thing, except keep making you look like a whiny female dog.

YOU chose not to watch the 1st season at all, until the DVD came out. YOU only started following the show after you watched a whole first season almost all at once, which allowed you see the story unfold at a much faster pace. Now, you're whining about the pace. See how someone can perceive that as a bit "spoiled-brat-ish"?

PLEASE get the DVD if/when it comes out, and stay out of here with your whiny ways.

13. carrrnuttt Registered

What about comic book writers? :hyper:

14. Kelly #RESIST

:dry: Calm down....geeeeeez, its his opinion. We all tend to have one here.

15. carrrnuttt Registered

It's not his opinions that annoy me. It's the fact that when anyone disagrees, he gets all "female-doggish" about them. There's been quite a few "constructive criticisms" lobbied in the Heroes forums, and they never get quite as personal as when Matt tosses 'em. He even makes it seem like the Heroes crew is trying to make a personal affront to his viewing sensibilities by what they are - or are not - doing.

I don't care about his opinions. It's HIM that annoys me. :dry:

16. Kelly #RESIST

Then put him on ignore....because your annoyance is annoying to me, and I can't put you on ignore which is annoying.......:oldrazz:

17. Krozee Previously on Lost

**** the writers guild. not only is it effecting heroes, its also gonna effect lost. :cmad: :cmad: :cmad: :cmad: :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

18. SouLeSS Registered

Yeah, **** the writers guild! **** the guys that basically give us most of the enjoyment in media! **** the guys that just want a little bit more than what they're getting because in retrospect they lose money on dvd sales! **** them right up t he ass!

:rolleyes:

19. Eddie Brock Golden Domer

Just like Cavemen, Lost has been doing fine without writing, so I don't see why it'd be affected.

20. imdaly - Part 12

They've already written the first 14 of 16 episodes for this season, so if it's effected, it won't be until May's last two episodes.

That's ONE good thing about their season scheduling this year.

21. Superpowers Registered

The suspense is killing me.

22. Krozee Previously on Lost

no, actually the last fully written episode is the 8th episode, and theyre saying it could act as a potential season finale.

23. Krozee Previously on Lost

oops my bad i meant the producers and stuff who wont pay them. haha i was just thinking writers guild so i typed it

24. imdaly - Part 12

I was referring to "Lost".

25. Krozee Previously on Lost

me too