High School Musical 3: Senior Year?

And before you High School Musical buffs scream "Buuuuut Xtromaniak, Gabriella's a nerd, looks good, and is a main character!" This may be true, but it only furthers my stance. She is represented as a nerd, true. But she also gets the jock, and is a very good looking "nerd". This promotes the ideal that only good looking people are capable of being valued by good looking people. It also gives off a false impression of what a nerd could/should be. Why can't she be ugly, and still get the good looking guy? Why, for that matter, are the nerds that actually play more than bit parts all good looking? Yet the characters that don't look aesthetically pleasing all are shoved to the back of the story, movie, etc. This does not represent real life. You shouldn't have to be good looking to have friends; that sets a false pretense for children to grasp on to. Is this a positive outlook to be emboldening in children?
I think we all know by now that this is how Disney does things. Why do you think all the females on these Disney channel shows are all good looking?

Why do you think all the females on these Disney channel shows are all good looking?

That's not true. Miley Cyrus looks like a horse.

miley-cyrus-300a100606.jpg
equine-dental.jpg

^I would chalk that up to her still being in her teens. A lot of these chicks are grown ass women playing junior high schoolers.

First off to be in the entertainment industry you have to have good looks. The only exception is if you're skills are over-exceptional and then you can ignore the look of the person.

Wow, Miley Cyrus looks like a horse. :dry:

Wow, you've spent entirely too much time thinking about this. The stererotypes in High School Musical extend to just about every movie and TV show. Get over it, it's something fun for little kids to watch. Also, what isn't vapid and shallow about Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry and the like? Hell, there's a lot of old racist stereotypes on that show that are much worse than anything that could be in High School Musical.

Don't diss the amazing subliminal media influence on its people because it's been known to happen - unless you have enough commonsense and brains to think differently.

I'm not saying there aren't people who have some intelligence that don't like Monty Python, I'm just saying that higher-brow media doesn't hurt childhood development.

Because we had lots of that when we were kids, right...all those episodes of Alvin and the Chipmunks and the A-Team cartoon on Saturday mornings?

Nor did I say this. It's not the downfall of society. Though, it espouses a vapid/shallow view of the world much like other "children's" programming [As opposed to older programming... Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny.. etc and on and on]. Ever notice how all of the popular, or main, characters are all very good looking by kids' standards? Ever notice how this doesn't reflect real life at all? Ever notice how the "comedic relief"/outcast characters all have bit parts, are all not quite as good looking... and the main element of their "hilarity" would be in their physical defficiencies?

First of all, just to nitpick...Bugs Bunny is part of Looney Tunes. I watched all of those growing up, still love watching them...but I fail to find any greater view of the world from watching them, other than to watch out for falling anvils.

Secondly, gimme a break. Since when has the media ever portrayed this correctly? Watching the TV shows from the 50s, we're lead to believe that everyone lived on a pleasant street with a backyard and a white picket fence (and not an ethnicity in sight) where mom and dad slept in twin beds, and no one was allowed to say "pregnant" on the air. No one lived like that.

Third...it's not true that the outcast characters on these shows are always reduced to bit parts. Not always. Look at Ugly Betty, or Hairspray. Both are hugely successful and star characters that are out of that *perfect* realm and in the mainstream for what they are.

If anything, those stereotypes exist in the Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes cartoons you hold in higher regard as much as they exist in any other form of entertainment.

And before you High School Musical buffs scream "Buuuuut Xtromaniak, Gabriella's a nerd, looks good, and is a main character!" This may be true, but it only furthers my stance. She is represented as a nerd, true. But she also gets the jock, and is a very good looking "nerd". This promotes the ideal that only good looking people are capable of being valued by good looking people. It also gives off a false impression of what a nerd could/should be. Why can't she be ugly, and still get the good looking guy? Why, for that matter, are the nerds that actually play more than bit parts all good looking? Yet the characters that don't look aesthetically pleasing all are shoved to the back of the story, movie, etc. This does not represent real life. You shouldn't have to be good looking to have friends; that sets a false pretense for children to grasp on to. Is this a positive outlook to be emboldening in children?

There is no positive message there that isn't immediately contradicted by the presentation. "Value nerds and the like..." but not if they're not good looking. The whole concept of the movie is unraveled by the strides Disney took to secure "good looking" people for all of the main roles. This is why I despise this garbage.

Again, like everything else...the media will always portray the world of good-looking people. It's so weak to blame that on Disney and not everyone else who does it. HSM is not the first and it's far from the last. When I was in high school we learned that there are no ugly people in Beverly Hills 90210, which we know isn't true.

Why don't you go back and complain about Eugene in Grease, who was far more of a stereotype than any of the "nerds" in HSM?

I assure you, in a time where most teenagers listen to and worship "emo" and Britney Spears/Jessica Simpson/[insert another pop singer here.], they have become enthralled by mediocrity. This spans all forms of media, from television to movies to music to literature and beyond. Value is placed on the things that are ineffectual in terms of long-term influence.

But the big deal is...however silly it is, it makes their kids so happy. Yes it's a dumb movie or an annoying TV show. Their parents are more aware of that than you are. And the kids will grow up and get over it. But today, they love HSM. Or Hannah Montana. It's no different than my sister's love for New Kids on the Block when she was a kid that she laughs at now.

It's not life-damaging. It's something you liked when you were a kid. It's like looking at your old high school yearbook in disbelief that you ever looked like that person, or liked that music, or watched that TV show.

Exactly how many more students have joined school productions of Hamlet, or Romeo and Juliet? Or any other quality play/musical production? None? Probably.

Maybe they have. All it takes is one theater experience to lead to another, trust me, I was a theater kid in high school. HSM is a actually a great production for a school theater group--the music is easy, the kids are the right age. It's current, which gets them more excited to participate than the 8 millionth production of The Sound of Music.

You're taking all of this way too seriously, and blaming a silly Disney Channel movie for far too much that's wrong with the world.

When I was in high school we learned that there are no ugly people in Beverly Hills 90210, which we know isn't true.

Damn straight we know there were ugly people on Beverly Hills 90210! Did you not see Andrea?

0000005584_20060919234700.jpg

Woof!

Andrea could suck the chrome off a tailpipe though.

Wow, you've spent entirely too much time thinking about this. The stererotypes in High School Musical extend to just about every movie and TV show. Get over it, it's something fun for little kids to watch. Also, what isn't vapid and shallow about Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry and the like? Hell, there's a lot of old racist stereotypes on that show that are much worse than anything that could be in High School Musical.

It is just there is so much better quality out there. Why is it High School Musical and ONLY High School Musical that makes kids "appreciate" musical theatre? It doesn't. They appreciate staring at Zak Efron or Tisdale or whoever and having their little crushes while listening to badly digitized recordings of pop ballads that sound like they came off of either an N'Sync or Britney Spears album.

Sweeney Todd underperforms at the box office, Broadway does worse every year and these movies are "gay," but HSM is popular. Are they going to go back and watch classics like Singin in the Rain, My Fair Lady, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Holiday Inn, Top Hat, Swing Time, Show Boat, Caberet, etc.? Nah. You'd be lucky if you can get them to watch Moulin Rouge, the musical classic of this revival.

But this will probably make more than Sweeney Todd, Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera combine. I mean it makes Hairspray look deep...how depressing.

Ehhh casting rumors
http://oceanup.typepad.com/oceanup/2008/03/jake-thomas-ton.html
Jake Thomas, Tony Oller, Ali Lohan & Selena Gomez Audition For High School Musical 3, Are They The Future Of The Franchise?

High School Musical 3: Senior Year new cast member news! Tony Oller, who stars in Disney's As the Bell Rings auditioned for the part of Jimmie 'The Rocket' Soto in HSM3. Cody Linley also reportedly tried out for the same role.
Cory in the House actor and Lizzie McGuire alum Jake Thomas, is also vying for a HSM3 role, supposedly Donny Fox. Thanks to Disney Society for the scoop! Tony posted on his Myspace page:
"I hope I don’t jinx myself but I just wanted to say that i auditioned for HSM3. :) It’s for a new character called Jimmie 'The Rocket' Soto! I went to LA last week and I made it through all the rounds of auditions and got to screen test..

..I am really excited because I did my best and the whole thing was fun not nerve wracking like usual so I have pretty good feelings about it."
Jimmie 'The Rocket' Soto is a sophomore and a wiry kid with a lot of energy. He is like-able but socially awkward. Jimmy is a basketball player who envies Troy Bolton. Troy sees something in Jimmy that most people don't.
He has not grown into himself. He is like the lost puppy you want to take in and care for. Tony finds out March 12th if he got the part! Jake revealed:
"My High School Musical audition was the first time I had to sing for an audition. It was an interesting challenge for me, but I think I was up for it."
More HSM movies are a possibility, but they will be done without Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens and the rest of the current cast members. In HSM3, the current cast is graduating high school, but a new cast of characters will be introduced to carry on the song and dance routines for future movies.
Jake is auditioning for a lead male role, which would fill the void in any other HSM movies when Zefron is gone. He said, 'the character I am auditioning for would take over Zac Efron’s (function). He would be the new star basketball player at the school.'
Donny Fox, a sophomore and another basketball player. He's athletic and Jimmie's partner in crime. Donny looks up to Chad. He is a contrast to Jimmie's awkwardness. Do you think Jake is good match for Donny and Tony for Jimmie?
The female role is Tiara, a transfer student to East High. She is obsessed with Sharpay and is in many ways a mini version of her. Tiara starts out sweet and eager to help Sharpay as much as possible, but soon turns into quite a diva herself.
She is very intelligent and wise beyond her years. Supposedly, this is the role Selena Gomez and Ali Lohan tried out for. I'm so on Selena's side for this one, what about you?

I highly doubt Disney will go with another Lohan though. Ali looks alot like the mom in a bad way.:(

All 3 characters seem lame.

You know before they came up with High School Musical they were going to call it Grease 3. I read that in a HSM People Special:o

I was forced to see HSM for our Graduation from elementery school.

It was sheer, horrible, evil, disgusting barftastic boobless not hot womens no good scenes ****tacular craptastic ******** :down
Um how old are? :confused: The movie came out 2 years ago. Unless you suck at school.:o

So that would make you....way too young to even be on here. :o

Not gonna lie, I love these movies. A few reasons why...

1. Absolutely hilarious. So bad they're funny.
2. Vannessa Hudgens.
3. Zac Efron is SUCH a bad actor...again...hilarious.

Not gonna lie, I love these movies. A few reasons why...

1. Absolutely hilarious. So bad they're funny.
2. Vannessa Hudgens.
3. Zac Efron is SUCH a bad actor...again...hilarious.
I wouldn't say that, he was pretty good in "Miracle Run". But Bet On It is hilarious.:woot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...sion/news/e3iec476757724b75701bd60fa9563ced1d
'High School Musical 4' already in works

By Paul J. Gough

April 8, 2008
UPDATED 5:23 p.m. PT April 8, 2008

Even before "High School Musical 3" hits movie theaters in the fall, Disney Channel is starting work on "High School Musical 4."

"We are writing 'High School Musical 4,' " Disney Channel Worldwide president Rich Ross confirmed Tuesday after a presentation at a midtown Manhattan recording studio. It's likely to be a TV movie unlike "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," though that could change.

The news comes as the stars of the two smash hit TV movies are preparing for production on the third installment of the series, which will begin filming in two weeks in Utah. There's no word on whether the cast and behind-the-scenes talent will gather again for "HSM4," though some characters introduced in the third go-round likely will star in the fourth.

"Are we going to have all the cast back? Probably not," Ross said. "Will we have some of them? I hope so."

Even for a channel that has international multiplatform properties in "Hannah Montana" and "The Cheetah Girls," among others, "HSM" is big business. The second TV movie shattered cable TV records last summer with a premiere watched by 18.6 million viewers and it has been a hit internationally as well. It boosted Disney Channel to the No. 1 position among cable networks in primetime in 2007.

Ross said that after the original "HSM," he went to Disney Channel entertainment president Gary Marsh and asked whether there was "a new story to tell" in the saga that launched the careers of Zac Efron, Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale and Corbin Bleu.

"We have learned that just putting a number next to a title is a very old idea," Ross said. "We have to have a new story."

Marsh answered affirmatively with "HSM2" and later, "HSM3." Now Marsh and Ross are confident that the "HSM4" script is going well.

Meanwhile, Disney Channel didn't announce any new series Tuesday. Marsh said that the production pipeline was coming back after the WGA strike and expected series announcements within the next few months. He said that the network was shooting for between five and six TV movies per year, including the previously announced "Princess Protection Program," "Camp Rock" (with teen band the Jonas Brothers), "The Cheetah Girls: One World" (in production in India), "Dadnapped" and "Hatching Pete."

Seriously, 3rd movie isn't done filming yet, and it may not make as much as predicted.

and a one and a two and a NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one chick from High School Musical has naked photos on the net

That's the one good thing which HSM has given the world. :D

I agree with whoever said Ashley Tisdale needs good movie roles. She shouldn't have to rely on HSM as her claim to fame as an actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"