Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/hilary-swank-will-play-amelia-earhart-384
Date: February 8, 2008

By: Kellvin Chavez
Source: Variety

According to Variety, Hilary Swank is set to play aviatrix Amelia Earhart in "Amelia," a biopic that will be directed by Mira Nair. Ron Bass wrote the script.

Swank will play Earhart in the formative stages of her career. George Putnam, a publisher and publicist, was engaged by society denizen Amy Guest to set up a daring nonstop flight across the Atlantic Ocean. When Guest was talked out of trying to become the first woman to make the trip, she dispatched Putnam to find a female pilot, and to turn the flight into a media event.

Bass delivered the script just before the WGA strike began, and he used Susan Butler's book "East to the Dawn," Mary Lovell's "The Sound of the Wings" and Elgin Long's "Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved" as primary resources. Swank, who just starred in "P.S., I Love You," attached late last year, and Nair became available to direct after Warner Bros. postponed the Johnny Depp starrer "Shantaram."

Waitt made his fortune as the co-founder of Gateway, which he built along with his brother Norm Waitt, the financier behind Gold Circle Films. Ted Waitt, who is also the chairman of Avalon Capital Group, has quietly staked several films, but "Amelia" is the first major film he has financed.

The mandate of Waitt's Gotham-based Avalon Pictures is to produce and finance entertaining fact-based films with historical and cultural significance. Waitt has secured attorney Skip Brittenham to broker worldwide sales of "Amelia," a process that won't begin until the film has been cast.

I like Hilary Swank and this sounds like it could be superb IMO.

Amelia_earhart.jpeg
go4hilaryswank010el9.jpg

:up:

-TNC

Great casting, great movie

she is a good choice. amelias story deserves the film treatment

I'm surprised they haven't done an Earhart movie, seems like it would have been done a few times before. Either way, good casting.

This is really scary, I was just thinking about Amelia yesterday and the Bermuda Triangle, "Lost" kind of made me think of it. I can't remember if they ever discovered her plane. *googles*

Hopefully she'll disappear too.

:hehe: my thoughts exactly. I cannot stand Swank. The resemblence is there, but I dunno, I doubt I'll have much interest in this movie. The urban legends around Earhart are far more interesting than the actual story.

Another role where her character challenges male/female dynamics, with her life coming to an untimely end? I smell Oscar number three!!

I'm not a fan of Richard Gere, but Swank is perfectly cast. I'm definitely interested now.

All these "mysterious" disappearances, I never really bought it. Somebody had to have been covering that **** up....you can find wreckage usually.

I was just watching a documentary about Amelia Earhart on PBS a couple days ago and Swank would be perfect for the role as they were/are both really ugly, bony, cold-hearted hags who weren't in love with their husbands and thought/think they were/are 100 times smarter than they really were/are.:up:

:huh:

go4hilaryswank010el9.jpg

The government should look into implementing th^t picture as a non-lethal weapon in Iraq. It could just freeze the enemy in his tracks, causing violent seizures, vomiting and explosive diarrhea.
It could even succeed where their original "Gay Bomb" plans failed. :up:

Excellent.

Explains why she cut her hair short.

She's better looking with longer hair anyways.

McGregor Joining Fox Searchlight's Amelia
Source: Variety May 27, 2008

Ewan McGregor will co-star in the Amelia Earhart biopic Amelia for Fox Searchlight, reports Variety.

Hilary Swank, Richard Gere and Virginia Madsen have already boarded the project, which Mira Nair is directing.

The story centers on the legendary aviatrix (Swank) and chronicles her rise to fame, marriage to publisher George Putnam (Gere) and passionate affair with Gene Vidal (McGregor), father of author Gore Vidal. Ronald Bass wrote the screenplay.

The film, which is being produced by Ted Waitt, Lydia Dean Pilcher and Kevin Hyman, is shooting in Toronto. Don Carmody, Bass and Swank executive produce.

dd-1.jpg

fda.jpg

Very nice. I can't wait to see a teaser trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"