Hillary Can't Take Heat...

Memphis Slim

Superhero
Reaction score
Feminist says Hillary Clinton plays the 'victim'

33647314.jpg
AP

Presidential hopeful Sen. Clinton, D-N.Y., gives a hug to a supporter after announcing her comprehensive plan to address America's energy and environmental challenges, at Clipper Windpower in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Kate Michelman, advisor to the Edwards campaign, says the sole woman Democrat hopeful raises 'white flag' when pressed.
By Richard B. Schmitt, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer important]November 4, 2007
WASHINGTON -- A prominent feminist, allied with the presidential campaign of former Sen. John Edwards, accused Democratic front-runner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Saturday of "disingenuously playing the victim card" by infusing her campaign with messages about gender.

"When unchallenged, in a comfortable, controlled situation, Sen. Clinton embraces her political elevation into the 'boys club,' " Kate Michelman, the former president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, wrote in a posting on a blog of the liberal group Open Left.

"But when she's challenged, when legitimate questions are asked, questions she should be prepared to answer and discuss, she is just as quick to raise the white flag and look for a change in the rules," Michelman said. "It's trying to have it both ways."

The missive by Michelman, a senior advisor to the Edwards campaign, was the latest salvo in a week in which gender flared as an issue in the Democratic presidential contest. Her cutting comments were publicized by the Edwards campaign in a press release.

The issue erupted after the Clinton campaign complained that male Democratic rivals at Tuesday night's presidential debate in Philadelphia had subjected her to a "pile-on."

At the debate, Clinton appeared to give nonspecific answers on several topics, such as on whether she supported the controversial plan of New York's Democratic governor, Eliot Spitzer, to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Democratic rivals seized the moment as an opportunity to portray Clinton as a calculating candidate with chameleon-like views.

Clinton's campaign subsequently posted a video on her website called "The Politics of Pile-On" that showed clips of the men at the debate uttering her name in rapid-fire succession.

On Thursday, she gave a speech at her alma mater, Wellesley College, in which she spoke about her effort to break into "the all-boys club of presidential politics."

Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois, a top rival to Clinton in the Democratic race, said of the New York senator Friday that when "people start challenging her point of view, that suddenly she backs off and says, 'Don't pick on me.' "

Michelman reacted similarly.

"At one minute the strong woman ready to lead, the next, she's the woman under attack, disingenuously playing the victim card as a means of trying to avoid giving honest, direct answers to legitimate questions," Michelman wrote of Clinton.

"It is not presidential," Michelman said, adding that women "know better than to use our gender as a shield when the questions get too hot."

Phil Singer, spokesman for the Clinton campaign, said Saturday that Edwards, who represented North Carolina, and the other candidates were fabricating an issue out of desperation.

"The other candidates aren't going after Sen. Clinton because she's a woman, they're going after her because she's leading in the polls," Singer said. "Voters will make a decision about whether John Edwards' pledges to be positive" were anything more than just a political tactic.

This is part of why Obama is my candidate.

In before the flaming

EDIT: damn, waited too long before posting

She works for Edwards and says Hillary is playing the victim? :whatever: Seems to me John Edwards has been playing the sick wife card for a couple months now!

Thanks for informing us that Hilary is ingeneous Celldog. I am sure no one realized that. :whatever:

Richardson 08!

I don't even know why she's a serious candidate? Since becoming the Jr. Senator here in NY she has done nothing! She merely used my state as a springboard to the presidency. She's a flipflopping opportunistic mega mega Biatch.

She works for Edwards and says Hillary is playing the victim? :whatever: Seems to me John Edwards has been playing the sick wife card for a couple months now!
[SNL]Really!?[/SNL]

wow.
you mean, she is some sort of politician?
woah! what a revelation!!!!
thanls memphell-slimdog!!!!

I don't even know why she's a serious candidate? Since becoming the Jr. Senator here in NY she has done nothing! She merely used my state as a springboard to the presidency. She's a flipflopping opportunistic mega mega Biatch.
Thanks, Son-of-Dubya.

She strikes me as very sociopathic. I think I'll be voting for Edwards in the primary (especially since Obama has been showing his inexperience way too much in these early debates).

He's clean though.
He can talk also. :eek:
Yeah, but no one will listen to him. He doesn't know how to get other politicians and elites to do a Goddamn thing. Obama strikes me as idealistic and ethical, which is all well and good...but in the end he'll just be another Jimmy Carter.

Thanks for informing us that Hilary is ingeneous Celldog. I am sure no one realized that. :whatever:

Richardson 08!

seconded!

why is this a big deal, though? it's just campaigning 101 to try and point out your opponents' flaws, like edwards is doing here. i really didn't see how she played the gender card, as this lady contends.

My take on Hilary: Basically if your happy with the way politics are now, vote Hilary. You're probably get a war with Iran under her adminstration. You're probably get slightly higher taxes and a more balanced budget, but you'll still have the special interests and big corporations controlling Washington. The big difference is she'll be much more competent than Bush and his adminstration.

She strikes me as very sociopathic. I think I'll be voting for Edwards in the primary (especially since Obama has been showing his inexperience way too much in these early debates).

Vote Richardson. :woot:

I hear she does things like this on purpose to appeal to female voters.
Jesus Christ, is it in your Hype! contract or something that you have to forever go around stating the obvious?? It drives me insane. :csad:

Vote Richardson. :woot:
"When is someone gonna pay attention to me" Richardson. Sorry, seems like a smart guy, but he seems a little full of himself and he dubiously spends public funds from what I've heard. I'm on Edwards bandwagon at the moment. In the Republican primary I'll probably vote for Huckabee.

it's the same person who told him that all americans are greedy, lazy warmongers who despise the rest of the world.
Get it right...

Stressed Out, Fat, Lazy Workaholics who eat African American/Mexican bone soup only in months with an "R"

"When is someone gonna pay attention to me" Richardson. Sorry, seems like a smart guy, but he seems a little full of himself and he dubiously spends public funds from what I've heard. I'm on Edwards bandwagon at the moment. In the Republican primary I'll probably vote for Huckabee.

don't you think that's called for when he's the most qualified of the candidates yet he can't get any press due to the media's obsession with clinton and obama? i mean, what else are you supposed to do in a campaign if you're not selling yourself by outlining your strengths over the other candidates?

How are you voting on both primaries? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"