Luke Cage His place in the Marvel Movie Universe?

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
How do you think he should fit into the larger Marvel movie universe they are building through their movies, TV show, and Netflix shows? And what do you think his origins will be? Or do you think he will have any connections to other Marvel movie characters, like Captain America or Centipede?

I have an idea, but its not based on any evidence, that he could bridge the gap between Captain America and the Hulk. Luke Cage is sort of indestructible and super strong thanks to being experimented on in prison.
And Banner said to Captain America in the Avengers that he was trying to recreate the Super Soldier Serum (like in the Ultimates) and that is why he becomes the Hulk. Meaning a version of the Super Soldier Serum created the Hulk.
Steve_Rogers_meets_Bruce_Banner.jpg

So, what if Luke Cage was experimented on with a version of the Super Soldier Serum (by AIM or something in prison) and it put him power level wise between Captain America and the Hulk?
He is semi indestructible like the Hulk (between Cap who isn't invulnerable and Hulk is is completely invulnerable) and is between Hulk and Banner in terms of Strength too. Hulk has unlimited strength while Captain America is the peak of possible human strength. Cage could be between that too.
Also Captain America's metabolism and other things he gained from the serum could be stronger in Cage (sort of. Cage wouldn't have the sponge like mind maybe Or maybe he could.)
250px-Steven_Rogers_%28Earth-616%29_from_Avengers_Vol_5_10_cover.png
250px-New_Avengers_Vol_1_56_page_00_Luke_Cage_%28Earth-616%29.png
250px-TheIncredibleHulkBruceBanner.jpg

Anyways, this concept would bring in the idea that the Serum (like in the Ultimate comics) is/was something that everyone was trying to recreate or get their hands on. Just like in Agents of SHIELD where the Clairvoyant is trying to create his own super soldiers.
It would also put Luke Cage up there in terms of importance with Hulk and Captain America. Making an African American superhero a big name while so far mostly all the characters are white for the most part. Cap, Stark, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hill, Coulson, Loki, Odin, etc.

They could also make him connected to Agents of SHIELD by having his powers be Centipede related instead. But I think I'd rather he be Super Soldier Serum connected. He could also not have any connections, but I think the connection could help to tie him into the larger Marvel Universe and to also make the larger Marvel universe not expand too much with yet another experiment creating another super being. In the Ultimate Comics they had the concept which I loved that the Super Soldier Serum created Captain America, but also was something everyone wanted and tried to recreate resulting in the creation/powers of Green Goblin, Spider-Man, Hulk, Doc Ock, Nick Fury's Infinity type youth I think, and many others and then they gave rise to others like that red Captain America from that terrorist group, Abomination, etc. That helped tie things together in a smaller and more realistic way.
I think it would be cool if they did that in the Marvel movie universe with Cap leading to Hulk and Cage and Deathlok and Winter Soldier and others, etc.
Then again what if he is tied into GOTG? Maybe the Kree were on Earth and secretly experimented on prisoners and that created Luke Cage? Still rather it be Super Soldier related though.

Also do you think Luke Cage should be an Avenger? Or stick with the Street Level stuff with the Defenders? I like him being an Avenger and could maybe cross into that eventually, I like the comics where he has bigger status having led the Avengers. I mean the Netflix show would be his origin, the Defenders would be him on a team and maybe that could lead to him becoming an Avenger. What do you guys think?

I think his power level is less important than his perceived niche. I mean, he probably should be stronger than Cap, sure, but honestly, whether or not he could beat Cap in a fight is less important than his purpose in the setting.

That said, your Cap comparison does have a grain of accidental truth to it, because part of his possible niche in the setting is "street level leader". A lot of the best Cage portrayals come from him being charismatic and street-wise, and generally well suited to gathering street level hero types around him. Sure, I dislike the whole "New Avengers" concept by and large, but why not steal what can be put to good use?

cap could be a client of HERO FOR HIRE investigations

I think the original concept of a mix of Noah Burstein developing the SS serum (he was one of the original lab assistants) and improving upon it and there being a mix up in terms of getting the dosage right on the vita rays and the whole illegal experiment thing being shut down, I think all that should be his origin, not so much Kree or anything else. It's pretty simple, and is the original 'new SS serum' story, so keep it.

His increased stats should be a result of the serum being improved and Rackham turning the knobs up to 11, where as with Steve they kinda stopped at some point, with Cage, it basically killed him, he wasn't just screaming out and able to talk, we're talking about unimaginable traumatizing pain that Cage experiences.

I think he should get some good screentime in Avengers 3, as sort of the front man for the TV universe coming into action. He leads the Defenders, and they end up helping with the Avengers and he gets offered a role in that, but he returns to lead his down and out ragtag crew instead. Stay low key, focus on the people, and not the big silly stuff.

I think when it comes to super fights, he's kinda like Bruce Willis off of Die Hard. He has just enough juice to stay alive when he should be getting killed. That's all.

He should have his own customized chair at the big table with his own logo on it like everyone else.

Mannnnnnn! all you have to do( and i sure i am not giving away any spoilers with the winter soilder being out this long) all you have to do is to have Falcon (Anthony Mackie) tell Steve when he stops by the VA hositpal where the falcon is working. have him tell Steve! "Hey. i got this cat i think you should meet!
WHAMMO... INSTANT POWERMAN/LUKE CAGE with his own customized chair with his logo at the big table just like HYPE said!

Hell! you could have The Falcon narrated the flashback sequence of Luke's origin as the way he heard it from Luke himself!

then it time to get it on fighting bad guys!

I still want Cage to end up in Harlem. Why not? Hopefully he'll have the office at the Gem.

Nah, I think the Defenders and the Avengers should remain two separate entities. Maybe Cage will get a short cameo appearance in the movies, but i'd rather the street-level stuff remain self-contained and show another dimension of the MCU instead of bridging with the Avengers ensemble. That being said, I expect to see events in the movies cause ripples in the street-level setting.

Nah, I think the Defenders and the Avengers should remain two separate entities. Maybe Cage will get a short cameo appearance in the movies, but i'd rather the street-level stuff remain self-contained and show another dimension of the MCU instead of bridging with the Avengers ensemble. That being said, I expect to see events in the movies cause ripples in the street-level setting.

I dunno, I kind of liked the New Avengers conceit of Spider-man and Power Man joining the Avengers and having the old guard of Iron Man and Cap quarreling in the background.

I dunno, I kind of liked the New Avengers conceit of Spider-man and Power Man joining the Avengers and having the old guard of Iron Man and Cap quarreling in the background.

Yeah, the New Avengers rosters were awesome. I think I prefer them to classic Avengers. Cage, Fist, Spidey, Wolverine, Clint Ronin...I thought those teams were epic.

Agree 100%. I would be fine if they never met at all tbh. Out side of news paper clippings "Hulk Rampages through Vegas", or Ironman zooming by in the background while Cage is having a coffee, I don't see a desperate need for them to cross over. I like the idea that the world is so big, you can have these pockets of heroes that never cross paths. I guess when the major events start to happen we might see a little crossover but I don't think its that necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"