History Channel's 'Vikings' - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Dec 8, 2017.

1. squeekness

squeekness The mighty squeek!

Exactly. :(

2. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

He's probably going back. He has to because he hasn't done anything noteworthy while he was there. I wanna see him raid the hell out of some foreign countries, no more posing as traders.

3. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

Yeah, I've been hoping that the North Africa subplot will culminate in some epic raiding, maybe even a visit to Constantinople. Someone mentioned that city already had Viking bodyguards working for the Byzantine emperor and that felt like a setup for a future plotline.

4. BestGirl

Another weak episode. I hope at least the finale finishes strong.

I hope Heahmund is playing Lagertha. It doesn't seem likely to me that he'd swear loyalty to her after just having met her.

And why were Lagertha et al still hanging out at the scene of the battle? They should've gone home.

Why did Ethelred throw a hissy fit when Judith suggest Alfred be king instead of him and then turn around and nominate his brother the next day? Then it seemed as though he resented Alfred at the coronation. None of it makes any sense. It reminds me of Ivar accepting Bjoern's peace deal and then rejecting it immediately.

5. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Agreed, it was a mediocre episode.
    My stand so far, the Bishop found his female counterpart ( pious and lusty ) in Lagertha and he's in love, no subterfuge.

It was how Judith wanted it to be played out, it was an act. Her elder son could protest in private but had to obey her ( she's the brain and his mother ).

6. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Notice that as they were all saying "Long Live the King!" Aethelred was silent, even Judith picked up on that. I think he plans on setting up his brother's death so that he can take the throne afterwards.

7. KevTravels

KevTravels Well-Known Member

why again did she want the younger brother to be KING?

I can't imagine the older would have ever gone along with her plan.

Btw, what's the direction that the show is going in?

8. BestGirl

So he agreed to let Alfred be king in order to stay in his mother's good graces, but is planning on having Alfred bumped off? I can see it. That might be giving the writers a little too much credit, though.

9. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

I think Aethelred agreed with the crowning of Alfred because Aethelwulf said that Judith was wiser than both of them and she obviously sees a king in Alfred. Him not saying "long live the king" is probably just because he would've preferred to be king himself. I doubt he'll get rid of Alfred, history tells us that Alfred has a big part to play.

10. Roose Bolton

I think it was all there in the scene, Judith's reaction was pretty telling. He's going to try to off Alfred, and I think Judith may realise that she's going to have to deal with Aethelred preemptively.

11. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Despite an unusual editing I didn't really liked the last episode ( I didn't hate it either ).
    I fear that Vikings begins to lose its grip on me :(

12. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

I know what you mean. This season has left me with mixed feelings. It started out strong but the last 5 episodes or so, i dont know, im not 100% into it. Although Ragnar and Eckbert's absence are not the problem for me. I think character motivations are lacking this season. But my biggest dissapointment this season has been Lagertha. She was one of my favorite tv characters up until season 5. She just doesn't have that edge anymore, the seems dumber, colder and i don't buy her whole fling with the bishop. That was stupid. What a waste of an awesome character.

I think these 10 episodes would've worked better if they were spread out over 20 episodes. Some things just moved way too fast and it would've given us the chance to understand the motivations of certain characters better.

13. KevTravels

KevTravels Well-Known Member

why again were the seasons upgraded to 20 instead of the usual 10? I don't think they have enough storylines to expand within a season. Too much filler

14. BestGirl

Yeah, it made no sense how she said that she could die content after having kissed Heahmund. She just met him.

I've definitely detected a decrease in quality since they upped the episode count to 20. It's just too much for the writers to handle. The first part of this season seemed as though it was getting back in form but then it just collapsed.

15. Roose Bolton

I think this season has been all over the place in terms of quality, though I really liked the mid-season finale.

16. Golgo-13

Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

I liked the mid-season finale. Ivar continues to be the standout character of the show.

I'm surprised Bjorn new wife died so easy. She also looked quite clumsy during her battle sequence...but still.

17. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

Hahaha i thought the same thing. No surprise she got killed during battle, she was horrible at it. I'd take Torvi over her any day. She is loyal, sane and knows how to fight. Bjorn F'ed up.

18. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

But Torvi isn't an expert on reindeer's ball chewing :)

19. Golgo-13

Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

Glad this is back. I'm liking the Bishop.

The preview for next week shows Ivar offering up a sacrifice; any guesses who..? Maybe the guy who really impregnated his wife...

20. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

I will bet on his wife if she lost her child.
    Yeah, The Bishop is great, he makes thing more interesting as I am a bit tired by Ivar and Floki story line.

21. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

The Icrland storyline lacks stakes. Yeah Floki could die but other than that there's not much there. I don't care about those characters either.

The England story intrigues me. Although i still don't like Lagertha and her thing with Heahmund. Alfred is starting to grow on me, though the actors performance could be better in certain scenes. I wanna see him face off against Ivar, that could be awesome.

I also like Freydis but i doubt she'll survive.

22. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

AFAIC, the only part. I still find interesting is the stuff in Wessex with Alfred, The Bishop and to a lesser extend Bjorn ( the writers don't know what to do with him anymore ).
    Ivar was cool at the beginning but now he's full crazy in a bad way and his wife is not another lunatic.
    There is no more charismatic characters such as Ragnar, Ecbert, Aslaug, Lagertha and Bjorn in their prime. Only The Bishop has some edge but he does not match them.

23. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

Yeah Lagertha doesn't do anything anymore and Bjorn just throws tamper tantrums. Btw, he knows Magnus is not really Ragnar's son, right? I forgot.

Ecbert and Ragnar are still the best characters in this show. I do still like Ivar but Hvitserk is pretty useless. Bjorn, Ubbe, Ivar and even Siggurd have/had a personality. It feels like Hvitserk is just another guy but not a son of the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok.

24. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Hivtserk has always been "just here" :)
    I liked Ivar at first but now he went too crazy to be likable, I expected him to become a true leader like Ragnar was.
    About Magnus, he is Ragnar's son from Queen Kwenthrith or did I miss some plot where she lied about his ascendancy ?
    Ubbe is still ok, of all of Ragnar's son he reminds me of him the most.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  25. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

Ragnar said Kwenthrith only ever peed on him. They didnt have sex. So Magnus isnt his.