BvS Honestly did the critics effect your rating of BvS?

Cobblepot

Giant-Size Man-Thing
Reaction score
It did for me with TDK and Rises, everybody pointing out the plotholes, the bad fight scenes, nitpicking away. I enjoyed them at first, but after hearing where did the Joker go when Bats jumped the window or Bane was reduced to a simple henchman. Or that people just fall down middle in a fight,.
I just can't see those movies again without 'what was Nolan thinking!'. Too much was pointed out and I just can't unsee them anymore.

It's like looking at your girlfriend with all her guts hanging out.

I have still only watched BvS once, and I liked it a lot. Only critic I had that it felt a little chopped up. That's it. It ticked every major box I wanted it tick.
Before it hit theaters, I figured I won't let it be spoiled by internet nitpicking an just enjoy the hell out of it. And then everything went down the drain. It's seems like it's fasionable to lash out at BvS. Everyone has a different opinion though, CGI was bad, Superman was bad, Luthor was mad, Batman kills, etc.

My question to you is: Be honest, did the (internet) critics effect your rating or viewing pleasure of BvS?

Why wouldn't you put an option for "I went in with lower expectations and came out pleasantly surprised"

The critics made me think the thoughts: "well its gotta be at least an 8/10 to be a foundation for the rest of this franchise."

But I doubt my personal opinion of the movie changed much because of what the critics said.

Really was it that easy for you to go in there 'unbiased'. I was glad I watched it, without reading a single review first.

Nope. I went in and judged it for myself, like I do with any movie, and saw it for the horrid mess it is. I don't let what other people think sway me.

It didn't affect my judgement at all. The movie did plenty to show me that it wasn't good.

No. It was actually a relief I ended up loving the film the moment I walked out. I really went to bat for Man of Steel all these years and I didn't walk out of the theater loving it...whatsoever. So, it was a great experience for me to love BvS.

I can't say they didn't. The first time I watched it is was pretty much watching for every flaw pointed out wondering what the best fix would have been. The second time I watched I realized I normally wouldn't have noticed half the stuff I did the first time.

People usually don't have an effect on what i like or not.

I think it was a really bad movie. It was an honest movie with remarkable intetions (except forcing JL cameos) unlike most of blockbusters lately. Still I wouldn't change my mind about how bad it was even if it was considered as masterpiece by everyone else.

For example, i think Jurassic World is such a commercial & uninspired garbage regardless it's BO success and critics & audience popularity. Force Awakens was poor man's A New Hope. I have seen them both when they were praised a lot as almost as good as first movies. Didn't work on me.

I would love everyone to have their own opions instead of using RT scores or critics or BO as arguments.

Last edited:
There are some movies that have horrible RT percentages that I have gone into with an open mind, and come out loving.

This was not one of them.

Let me put it this way, if you disliked it at first viewing. Did someone else point out more flaws which at first you didn't notice or mind? And how do you feel about those 'flaws' now?

I watched Daredevil, Spiderman 3 and TASM2 quite long after critics had their chance to eat them up and spit them out, and I still liked (not loved) them.

I defended BvS prior to release based on my enjoyment of MOS.
I was wrong. Didn't like the film, and didn't have anything to do with critics opinions.

Yes. They lowered my expectations. They still weren't met.

My opinion of a Zack Snyder movie was already tainted by MOS which I didn't care for but I wanted to see BVS no matter what and form my own opinion. I was well aware of the critics lashing of the movie but didn't really care. After seeing it it was like watching MOS again. I like to pick apart the plots mentally whenever I see any movie, that's why I hate Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and AOU because the story was crap. BVS though somehow manage to be worse than all of them. I would have see it a dozen times at the theater if it's any good but once for me is enough in this case.

One thing I read today, made sense.
The death of Superman at the end. They really should have saved that for another movie.
Just imagine the commercial potential for the death of superman, that was a dumb move.

Really was it that easy for you to go in there 'unbiased'. I was glad I watched it, without reading a single review first.

I think maybe I didn't expect that it was quite as bad as they said. I had pretty average expectations of it a year ago, went in having heard it didn't live up to the extremely high expectations everyone else had, so I went in with average expectations.

However, one thing the reviews did make me start to consider was how good the film needed to be. A quarter billion dollar, 2.5 hour film that is supposed to kick off a 12 film franchise and do justice to several 75-80 year old characters. This film needed to be at least good to create that foundation.

Because it wasn't (by most people's standards) it did fail imo.

Not really. I went to watch it without reading any reviews and thought it was bad.

Reviews help me see the flaws or the hyperbole.
But rating based on enjoyment is not affected by what critics say.

Didn't really affect my opinion, but helped me keep my expectation in check.

The entire day before the embargo lifted was like Christmas Eve as a kid for me. I have some friends from my old job that have me on Google Hangouts that are very pro-Marvel and were extremely negative towards MoS who were constantly asking what I thought of trailers, so I personally got worked up into a huge excited mess when the early fan screening word got out, mainly as I was eager to have some firing power in response to their constant jeers.

I then woke the morning before my screening, which was the day the embargo had lifted to find a few Hangouts messages from these old work pals... The first was a direct Rotten Tomatoes link followed by a lone "lol" which effectively killed my over-the-top excitement in it's tracks. I still desperately wanted to see the movie, but it was like my mood had been hit by a freight train and I was hoping (or clinging) onto hope that the first batch of reviews were somehow not the consensus.

You can't really change your opinion after seeing the reviews as plenty of them were out even before it was released here, and we got to see it two days before the US. Unless you actively tried to avoid hearing about them of course, but I don't think many did that.

The reviews made me tone down my expectations, so I was less upset with this movie than I was with Man of Steel, but I still didn't like it.

Not for me...at least directly.

While I have issues/complaints with the film, I enjoyed it immensely and when it was over I wondered what movie they saw to give it such terrible reviews.

But then again many would ask me the same but opposite question.

Reading countless complaints of poor structure and pacing certainly lowered my expectations, but ultimately no. I disagree with critics far too frequently to ever allow them to affect my overall judgement of a film

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"