Horizon Horizon Forbidden West

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is coming to PlayStation 5 consoles on April 19 2023.

Our creative vision for the Burning Shores is an ambitious expansion which will take Aloy to the ruins of Los Angeles. It’s an overgrown and fractured city that can be fully explored via the water and flying on the back of a Sunwing. A massive machine threat lurks in its shadows – a huge challenge that Aloy must overcome by using all of her skills and abilities. To achieve this grand vision technically and creatively, we’ve made the difficult decision to focus all our efforts on making an incredible experience exclusively for the PlayStation 5 console.

Aloy’s story continues in Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores

Last edited:
It's a testament to how big of a game Forbidden West is that I never once thought while playing it, "Hey, where's Los Angeles?" and now here it is. I'm definitely on board with this DLC. I may not get around to playing it right away because it's dropping in the middle of a crowded gaming season but I'll undoubtedly revisit the game again for this.

Glad to be getting DLC for this, and it's not too far out either, can't wait to dive back into this beautiful game.

About 70% through it atm. Playing on PS4 which is going well but a little buggier than the first game. Wonder whether this is an issue on PS5. Enjoying it though. Definitely up for the DLC down the line, though it'll have to wait as it is PS5 exclusive. Can't tell if that decision is clever or scummy, but it's not the end of the world. While I quite liked the Frozen Wilds, I waited quite a while to play that one too.

Last edited:
About 70% through it atm. Playing on PS4 which is going well but a little buggier than the first game. Wonder whether this is an issue on PS5. Enjoying it though. Definitely up for the DLC down the line, though it'll have to wait as it is PS5 exclusive. Can't tell if that decision is clever or scummy, but it's not the end of the world. While I quite liked the Frozen Wilds, I waited quite a while to play that one too.
I feel like the exclusivity is due to hardware limits, FW clearly pushes the PS4 to its limits, and based on the end of that trailer they want to do even crazier things in the DLC and I'm guessing the 4 just isn't up to the task.

I feel like the exclusivity is due to hardware limits, FW clearly pushes the PS4 to its limits, and based on the end of that trailer they want to do even crazier things in the DLC and I'm guessing the 4 just isn't up to the task.

Yeah I'd expect so. Having completed H:FW, it feels kind of limited if I'm honest. It rarely seems to raise the bar, more like an expansion than a sequel. Perhaps this is partially down to the awkward transitional period it arrived in.

Was Forbidden West always planned to release simultaneously on PS4 or was that decision made because of the PS5 being hard to get?

Was Forbidden West always planned to release simultaneously on PS4 or was that decision made because of the PS5 being hard to get?

To my knowledge it was developed with a PS4 release always in mind. This is why it runs pretty well, but must surely have also limited what could have been done on the PS5 version beyond details.

I want the next Horizon game to aim for GoW levels of narrative. That would put this game right up with the best with what else it has going for it but the story for now not being as good. Absolutely beautiful locations. I really want this series to push on to the next level.

I want the next Horizon game to aim for GoW levels of narrative. That would put this game right up with the best with what else it has going for it but the story for now not being as good. Absolutely beautiful locations. I really want this series to push on to the next level.
Agreed 100%. I enjoyed the story in Zero Dawn well enough but IMO I didn't think the story in Forbidden West kept up with the gameplay and outstanding graphics. That said, story isn't a dealbreaker for me when it comes to gaming, it's just something I take note of more after being spoiled by other games like The Last of Us, Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption II where the writing is on par with if not better than Hollywood blockbusters.

Agreed 100%. I enjoyed the story in Zero Dawn well enough but IMO I didn't think the story in Forbidden West kept up with the gameplay and outstanding graphics. That said, story isn't a dealbreaker for me when it comes to gaming, it's just something I take note of more after being spoiled by other games like The Last of Us, Spider-Man, God of War and Red Dead Redemption II where the writing is on par with if not better than Hollywood blockbusters.
I don't mind B-movie level plots in games at all (can tolerate them much better than in actual films lol), just seems like a big missed opportunity and a mismatch when other elements of this game are so good. It could be right up there with all of them, plus it's hard to beat for exotic locations brought to life. Other top games have locations that are created just as well, I just have more desire to spend time in the visuals of the Horizon universe.

I'm not too disappointed in the story for Forbidden West. The first had a great ending, tied everything together well, and essentially answered all the questions the world had set up. Following that was always going to be a challenge. I think they did a pretty good job on expanding the lore and moving forward from there. I don't think these games are built to be as narrative focused as God Of War, and you'd loose some of the freedom of exploration if you were to pivot toward something like that.

That said, I do have my criticisms as well. Like the first, I think FW is quite slow to get going. I also think the RPG-lite aspects of talking to people can be a blessing and a curse. For every time I enjoy a thorough conversation with somebody, there is instance where I feel frustrated to be in another static exchange with a huge dialogue tree. Even when this stuff is optional, I find it hard to skip over. There is a LOT of dialogue in these games. I applaud the effort, but can't help but wonder if there is a better way to implement it sometimes.

The locations are beautifully rendered. It's a world that is fun to explore. But... I expected a bit more of a dramatic difference for the 'Forbidden West'. Something more ravaged, more alien, more hostile. Wandering the ruins of the old world is nice but I think I was only really wowed by Las Vegas this time around. I was quite surprised by how little the red 'plague' seemed to factor into the game. I was anticipating some sections that were absolutely decimated. That could have made for some amazing visuals. It felt like I rarely even saw it.

My final criticism is my biggest. The machines are the biggest selling point for me. The designs and animations are fantastic, and the new additions are awesome and very welcome. After the first game introduced us to this bizarre mech-animal kingdom, I was excited to see how nuts this could get in a sequel, and it didn't really. A flying mount is great. I was sad it kind of ended there. Aloy should be riding Thunderjaws into ridiculous battles, summoning squads of Watchers for cover, taking down enormous beasts in multi-stage battles where huge hides need to be stripped down and removed to hit buried weak spots. I think this is the kind of progress that the series needs to make in order to step up and give us a next level experience. I did enjoy FW quite a lot, yet I'd say it felt iterative rather than an evolution.

Footage of the multiplayer game has leaked at r/horizon. It's an alpha build from 2020 according to the leaker.

image.png

Footage of the multiplayer game has leaked at r/horizon. It's an alpha build from 2020 according to the leaker.

image.png
Oh they changed the art style to be cuter and less realistic? I’d assumed it would be the same engine and look similar to the campaign.

I heard the news from The John Wick thread yesterday and totally forgot about his contributions to this franchise. Such a big loss. :csad:

I believe Reddick had done some work for Burning Shores. It's going to suck losing Silens. I wonder how the series will move forward.

With Sylas, I can buy his character biting it doing something dangerous and not making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"