HOT!!! New Interview w/ Bryan Singer! (August 20th)

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Lightning Strykez!, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Chrono

Chrono Member

I was excited for this movie, but now I'm not. Cutting out Cyclops and Jean means I won't go see this. Meh. At this point just reboot the franchise and give the rights back to Marvel.

2. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

I am utterly confused as well, since it sounds like Wolverine 2 is definitely happening.

3. TheComicbookKid

TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

I don't think he would pick and choose X1 and X2 apart. The difference with Superman is that Singer actually wrote those X movies.

4. Backdrifter

Backdrifter Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

At this point, I would like to see Marvel retain it's rights to the X-Men and let the Fox versions die.

5. JP

JP Smelly

That must be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And I'm a massive Jean fan.

6. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

AICN just updated the article and it says:

"Oh, I just remembered, I asked Singer when we can expect our first look at some of the costumes and the look they're going for and he told me to expect something in about a month, if not sooner. So seems like we'll begin to have a clue pretty soon."

So in a month we'll get our first look at costumes! :D

7. Electrix

Electrix Well-Known Member

No X-Men film has bombed to date. Even the first film made $300 million. Hell Wolverine made nearly $400 million and it was all over the internet a month before its release. The X-Men brand it bigger than 2 characters. It's even bigger than just Wolverine (X2 and X3 made more than his solo outing).

The chances of X-Men: First Class making back its budget is high, based on the success of the X-Men franchise. Movies are released all the time and people don't have a clue who the characters are beforehand.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. JP

JP Smelly

I guess it would have made more people happy if the went with the studio bought Josh Schwartz paint by numbers script and just hired a no name director to shoot it.. like Fox usually does.

9. Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters Attorney at Law

Nope. You're a massive Jean film in denial because of her portrayal in Last Stand. Alot of people who saw that were saying things like ''Oh, I hated to see Jean do those things."

Jean is recognizable by the GA now. I'm so sorry, but she WOULD have helped this film way more than Beast, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. There's no one in this movie that will draw a GA audience members attention.

10. Backdrifter

Backdrifter Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος

Yes, Electrix... the reason they were successful was because the X-Men were actually in them... not the C team.

11. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

Gotta hand it to JP. I disagreed with him immensely about the idea of certain xmen not being in this flick.

And now my excitement has dropped dramatically. It'll probably be good, but I wont obsessively check up on pre production...

12. JP

JP Smelly

Remember when the Star Wars prequels bombed because Luke, Leah, Han Solo, and Chewy weren't in it?

:whatever:

13. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

I saw X-Men in 2000 having never read a single X-Men comic or watched a single X-Men cartoon, I and didn't know who the hell Jean and Scott were before I saw the movie. I'm fairly positive I'm not the only one, since most people I know don't read comic books but love those movies.

Since the movie will take place in the 60s, and since a good chunk of the audience are people like me who were first introduced to the characters in the first film, most of them will likely assume that neither of those characters were born yet.

Comic fans won't like it (but are they ever happy?), but the general audience probably won't care one way or the other.

14. danoyse

That's probably the USA Today story a1ant posted about yesterday, I think.

15. Jennifer Walters

Exactly. Ninety percent of the mutants cast are C List characters in the X-Men at best. The most recognizable faces left are completely recast and they were all the people that Singer cast brilliantly in his trilogy. People are going to see this movie and shrug it off.

16. Jennifer Walters

That's WAY different and such a terrible example it isn't funny. DARTH VADER, the central character of the whole damn saga was still present.

17. JP

JP Smelly

No, I am NOT in denial. Why would I say that about I character I love. If anything it bothers me that most people feel that way despite what I felt was a decent attempt at showing she was not in control.

I search twitter multiple times a day every day (that's how I continue to find most scoops on the film) and I constantly read people say things like "Watching X-Men 3, damn Jean is a *****" or "God, I hate Jean in X3".

The fact is, Wolverine and Storm where the heavy hitters of the first three films and the characters used in all promos. Obviously neither of them would ever be in a proper first class any way. To say that Jean and Scott, two characters who weren't all that present in the trilogy) somehow have a bigger presence than Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, or Beast is silly.

18. X Knight

X Knight Hope

the general audience will probably be wondering where Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is and why he's not in the movie.....lol

19. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

Well then this just confirms it, doesn't it?

20. JP

JP Smelly

Yeah, and XAVIER AND MAGNETO are still present in this.

Why is Star Wars a bad example? Did they not make money?

21. danoyse

Probably, which is why it sounds like they're suddenly racing to get Wolverine 2 started.

22. JP

JP Smelly

This.

23. Jennifer Walters

Star Wars has such a huge amount of Hype the X-Men will NEVER have. There were years upon years of rumors of more Star Wars films before the prequels happened.

Xavier and Magneto are barely in the same league in the X-Men films as Anakin/Darth Vader in the Star Wars films.

24. JP

JP Smelly

I guess I should stop reading X-Men comics since my two favorite characters are currently dead. One of which has been dead for years. I should also quit reading any X-book where Cyclops isn't the leader, cause it's just not X-men apparently.

25. Jennifer Walters

The books and the movies are TWO different creatures all together. So don't go there. What sells in a comic, won't sell in a movie.

If a book came out with the characters currently announced as a team. It'd be cancelled after five issues for not selling.