Hot Takes! What’s your provocative opinion?

Babillygunn

New Age Outlaw
Reaction score
This is the space to post and discuss your provocative opinions related to comics. Be respectful and remember that opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

To get the ball rolling:
I think The Dark Knight Returns is vastly overrated.

I was in middle school when it came out and I was mostly a follower of Batman ‘66 and then Denny O’Neil’s work (which are still some of my favorite stories.). Therefore while my understanding of Batman was that while he was dark, he was always in control and not bitter, mean spirited or a bully like he seems in TDKR and even more so in the follow ups in that universe.

While I appreciate some of what Miller was doing, I really don’t care for how Batman was represented. And The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin only serve to further make me despise Miller’s writing of the character. And don’t get me started on Miller’s treatment of Dick Grayson and Superman. That’s just criminal.

Last edited:
This is the space to post and discuss your provocative opinions related to comics. Be respectful and remember that opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

To get the ball rolling:

I was in middle school when it came out and I was mostly a follower of Batman ‘66 and then Denny O’Neil’s work (which are still some of my favorite stories.). Therefore while my understanding of Batman was that while he was dark, he was always in control and not bitter, mean spirited or a bully like he seems in TDKR and even more so in the follow ups in that universe.

While I appreciate some of what Miller was doing, I really don’t care for how Batman was represented. And The Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin only serve to further make me despise Miller’s writing of the character. And don’t get me started on Miller’s treatment of Dick Grayson and Superman. That’s just criminal.

Never finished DKR or Watchmen. Started both books over a decade ago and they still have a book mark where I left off. Both stories just didn’t interest me that much. But enjoyed the DKR animated movie and Watchmen Directors Cut. Weird, I know.

It’s funny but while I found Watchmen to be an interesting enough read, I find it overrated. I like V for Vendetta more.

Hm, i dont know if i have some that are that Provocant.

Frank Miller is overrated as hell and his batman stories are bad could be considered, Tom King being a bad Batman writer, Catwoman working best as villian, Wonderbat being the best god damn ship in DC and DC being too afraid of it glory to give it a shot(you cowards), Trunks over pants looks dumb as hell no matter who wears it...its all more or less Universally truth that people just dont want to Admit. XD XD XD

No for real, im not liking Frank Millers take at all on Batman and i feel that a lot of the modern idea people have is because of Millers take...which i dont like.
I dont like this Batman who constantly broods and just beats up people.
He is the worlds greatest detective but most of the time he beats people into telling him stuff he probably could figure out with this nickname.

But i dont really have something really provocant because im not sure what would count as such looking at how far comic book fans opinions are spread out.

No for real, im not liking Frank Millers take at all on Batman and i feel that a lot of the modern idea people have is because of Millers take...which i dont like.
I dont like this Batman who constantly broods and just beats up people.
He is the worlds greatest detective but most of the time he beats people into telling him stuff he probably could figure out with this nickname.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

To get the ball rolling:

Reactions: CJ
I wouldn't call this overly provocative but Gerry Conway's Amazing Spider-Man run is my favorite. More than Stan's run. Most point to the death of Gwen Stacy but his whole run was very gratifying. Not just a single issue. The aftermath and the emotional kick to the gut of her death was felt throughout the entire run. He also introduced the Punisher and turned Harry into Green Goblin II with an excellent two part story. There was the mystery of the Jackal and he even handled the Gwen Stacy clone storyline better than it sounds. You also saw the first real development in Peter and MJ's relationship. His stories were done in real time. So one year of stories equaled one year of Peter's life. Of course, there were few duds thrown in his run too. Like Doc Ock trying to marry Aunt May. It's as ridiculous as it sounds.

Frank Miller is overrated as hell and his batman stories are bad could be considered.
That strikes me as being less controversial and more the current popular opinion. It has become fashionable in a lot of circles to dog Miller's work.

I don’t like everything Grant Morrison does, but Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth should be held in higher regard.

That strikes me as being less controversial and more the current popular opinion. It has become fashionable in a lot of circles to dog Miller's work.

His current work sure, but im talking about his early work that people tend to praise like its the holy bible of comics.
I never got that because the pacing alone is incredible jarring and stuff.

His current work sure, but im talking about his early work that people tend to praise like its the holy bible of comics.
I never got that because the pacing alone is incredible jarring and stuff.
That is what I am talking about, too. I think it has become fashionable to take shots at Miller's work as a whole. The controversial current opinion is that his work is excellent.

I like Bill Sienkiewicz’s Neal Adams’ knock-off style better than current style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"