House of the Dragon House of the Dragon General Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

Honestly, I really just want new content from this world that isn't all about the Starks and Targaryens...

Also, it's very concerning that Martin's favorite spin-off is moving forward, at least in regards to us ever actually getting the final books.

I'm rather interested in Aegon the conqueror and the rest of the Targaryans. The world of ASOIAF is huge but i always found the Starks, the Lannisters and the Targaryans the most interesting. Eventhough Little Finger is my second favorite character. I just hope they do it right this time.

I'm just not feeling any TV show adaption of GOT anymore. Not after that disaster of a series finale. My, God that was bad!

I was more enthusiastic about the Long Night series, but all right then.

Here's hoping we see some Valyria, and learn about the Doom.

Miguel is involved and it is about the blonde people everyone wants to bang. This was always going to be the answer.

I’ll admit I’m more into this than I was with the Long Night, which had too much baggage with how the show depicted the White Walkers and the Night’s King compared to what the books implied.

With this I figure it’ll coast on a reasonably decent source material and a lot of Dragon spectacle.

Im not sure if Im down for a show where the main characters we grow to like just in the end goes crazy & gets killed by their loved ones or because of their loved ones or both & anything in between

I'm very interested about what this will pan out as. I'm getting mixed reads from these initial reports. Some make it seem like its an anthology. Others make it seem solely focused on the Dance.

Im not sure if Im down for a show where the main characters we grow to like just in the end goes crazy & gets killed by their loved ones or because of their loved ones or both & anything in between

To be fair, a lot of real world royal dynasties dont have good endings. They either wither and die or are violently destroyed. But in spite of this they're still interesting. The Targs and Valyria have some really good history, and with the dragons this show can take the characters to more locations all over Planetos if the writers want to. Personally I'm hoping the Ulthos and Sothoryos are shown.

I'm very interested about what this will pan out as. I'm getting mixed reads from these initial reports. Some make it seem like its an anthology. Others make it seem solely focused on the Dance.

It's based on Fire and Blood. The book is written like a non fiction history book and covers 300 years of the Targaryen dynasty. So the show can do time jumps and focus on different Targs and different stories in later seasons if the writers want to. For now they're prpbably just thinking about the first season and will decide where to take the show based on the response to season 1.

Now that the Long Night series has been scrapped they should cast Naomi Watts as a Targaryen.

Last edited:
Yes!!!!

Some dragon on dragon violence is what we need

It's based on Fire and Blood. The book is written like a non fiction history book and covers 300 years of the Targaryen dynasty. So the show can do time jumps and focus on different Targs and different stories in later seasons if the writers want to. For now they're prpbably just thinking about the first season and will decide where to take the show based on the response to season 1.
Given the "Based on Fire and Blood" and "Starting 300 years ago" bits, that's definitely what it seems like. But other comments (past and current, particuarily the bit about "the beginning of the end" make it sound more like The Dance) A pure, time-jumping anthology series would be difficult to put together, as some of the main stories barely have enough content for one season, while others would take three or more to tell correctly.

But yes, Naomi Watts deserves to be a Targaryen no matter what it is.

This is not the real world its a Sci-Fi / Fantasy franchise on TV / Streaming Service

Missed the point. Real world dynasties are like this. They still make shows about them, write fiction about them, and non fiction books about them. They are still worth enjoying regardless of the fate of the dynasty. And Martin's world is heavily based on real world history. He loves medieval history and transplanted real history into a fantasy setting with magic. The red wedding for example was inspired by the Black Dinner and the Glencoe Massacre.

Last edited:
Maybe they could juggle different timelines with different kings? Aegon, Maegor, and Jaehaerys?

Martin's latest "Not-A-Blog" post also points very heavily to the focus being on The Dance. In which case, we can toss up endless suggestions about who should play the assorted Targaryens. All I know is, if they're looking for a star-power role, there's one solution:

21f8f616b82fddefbd437f0bfeaf20dc.gif

FENx.gif

Timothy Dalton as Ser Otto Hightower, Hand to the King

Make it so.

Last edited:
I think that this latest Not-A-Blog post even more cements that this is going to be a more focused series (Presumably on the Dance) rather than an anthology. It seems they have the entire run of the show already mapped out.

Also, it's terrific to see women in the GOT writer's room, finally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"