How come you don’t see the Ku Klux Klan as the enemies on screen as often as nazis?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Silvermoth, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Silvermoth Avenger

It’s funny, so many films use nazis as the villains and with good reason of course. But you rarely see the klan appear and just get chased around by the hero waving a chainsaw except, like, blazing saddles or something.

of course I’m currently in Australia so maybe it’s different and we just don’t get films like that here?

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  2. Erik20 Registered

My guess is because they're American citizens, so studios prefer to mostly stay away from that. The topic also often deals with problems that are still current in society, so some people immediately seem to think you're "politicizing" the movie or tv show. Just look at what happened with the Watchmen series... "here goes Liberal Hollywood again, trying to push their agenda."

Studios probably just want to play it safe, and don't appear to be "controversial." (Even though you would think the klan are obviously the bad guys, but apparently not to some :whatever:)

Blackman, Silvermoth and Wheels like this.
  3. Wheels Groovy

I think it would be awesome to adapt Superman Smashes the Klan. I'd geek out.

Silvermoth likes this.
  4. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Nazis are very much thought of as a period appropriate group of baddies to exploit. Outside of some noteworthy versions that are about Post WWII hunts for Nazis in hiding or stories about Neo-Nazis, Nazis as villains on film and TV is gonna be a story that takes place in the 1930's/1940's. And as a time which we make tons of triumphantly heroic movies about you are very likely to have seen more than one of the many films showing the Allies against the Axis with the Nazis being right at the center of the Venn Diagram of Evil.

The Klan on the other hand have a different specific history that plays into how and how much they have been portrayed. While I am sure that reticence on the part of audiences and film makers plays some part in the lack of seeing the Klan as antagonists on screen there's also the practical fact that they are similar to the Nazis, really of a certain time or place. Post the late 1970's and into the 1980's, as both a force culturally but also criminally, the Klan was a spent force. Set your story in the 1920's to the early 1970's and sure, it's believable at how formidable the Klan is just as an organization that had so many adherents and was so widely dispersed.

But by the early 1980's both their practical power and the breadth of their presence had been greatly diminished. In entertainment there's often cases of a lag in what's being sold and the reality of the world. We STILL see American genre works where the "Italian Mafia" is shown as some kind of well funded and powerful group but the facts are La Cosa Nostra or what ever you want to label it's back was broken long ago by American Law Enforcement. As much as it still exists it's a shadow of it's former self up and down the line.

Same with the Klan. Not toothless by any means, but hardly the force it was in the past nor nearly as problematic in its influence.

Not really "of the time" oddly enough, and not realistically a group most Americans come into contact with and view as being as threatening in and of themselves as we might imagine given the history. But that's how it shakes out now.

If anything the issues and events today show that the problems with systemic racism have a lot less to do with any specific group or organization.

Pink Ranger and Schlosser85 like this.
  5. Hunter Rider Ronin

Setting a movie in WWII is an easy move as we know in the end the good guys won so it's "comfortable." If we are talking about neo nazis in the present day, I think visually they are easily identifiable as the villain, where as the KKK are often "respectable" members of society on the outside, thus harder to identify and thus much scarier, and so I guess studios don't want to dig into it as some audiences will feel uncomfortable as unlike a neo nazi who you can see their mentality up front, the KKK could be your next door neighbour with the polite kids, the good job and the BMW parked in the driveway who greets you pleasently every time he sees you, but underneath actually hates you because of your skin colour.

6. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I'm sure either Quentin Tarantino or Matthew Vaughn could produce or direct a film pitting heroes against the KKK, similar to other Tarantino movies or Kingsman. You could have the heroes fighting against a horde of KKK dressed in their white robes and pointy hood, much like you'd get the Allies fighting against the Nazis.

A lot of the KKK would just be cannon fodder like the Nazis were. And since it is a fantasy film, no-one has to worry about the KKK being supposedly "respectable" people in real life. They can just be outright villains with no redeeming qualities in general.

7. DarkKnight88 Registered

Nazis are such a worldwide symbol of evil that no matter what country you’re from, you identify it immediately. Also the WWII setting is such a grand scale.

The KKK are mostly played up as a joke.

8. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

Because a certain group of Americans hate when you reflect the mirror on them.

9. Blade Hoarder Registered

It's because Hollywood is based in America, as simple as that really.

That's also the reason for the preponderance of horribly caricatured "foreign" villains with exotic accents.

Imagine if Russians made movies where every villain was a American who was fat and racist, plus spoke with a highly exaggerated southern twang, that's what Hollywood routinely does to other ethnicities.

#9 Blade Hoarder, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    killface, Stringer and OutOfBoose like this.
  10. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I love the Outpost movies and their zombie/undead Nazis. This thread makes me want some zombie KKK!

11. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Someone ought to make a Nazis vs KKK movie. They can both battle it out to see who is more supreme out of both sets of White Supremacists.

Pink Ranger likes this.
  12. Sawyer High King

Because we as a country have yet to come to terms with the ugly parts of our history.

I mean, **** sake, we can’t even come to enough of a consensus to get rid of monuments dedicated to traitors.

13. Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Which is a tragic mistake considering how much terror they caused in their history.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  14. Shinobi Shaw Hellfire Club's Black King

But you know Hollywood. They downplay the gravity of things black Americans have faced and make a joke out of it. Nazis are cunning villains but the KKK are just bumbling rednecks in the movies.

The real KKK and the atrocities they committed like bombing homes and churches and killing innocent black people are no joke at all.

Stringer likes this.
  15. killface Registered

Because treating the KKK as a joke is much easier than portraying them realistically like what was done in the Watchmen series.

The real klan members are the ones influencing the perpetuation of the institutionalized marginalization in America. From Emmet Till to George Floyd, the more things change the more they stay the same.

The loud caricature-worthy backwoods klan members are just blind followers indoctrinated to the cause. While the Darth Sidiouses are disguised as Emperor Palpatines.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  16. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

That got me thinking about how a White Supremacist Olympics would work. I think the only even they could credibly pull off would be speedwalking.

17. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Because then you would mostly need to make the hero black and set the movie in the south.

For Hollywood thats two restrictions too many.

Plus Nazis remind America of their glory days when they became world leaders by saving the world from evil fascism.

The greatest generation.

Shinobi Shaw likes this.
  18. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Lets just say, the people who get offended by the way the Empire is portrayed in Rogue One get a little testy when the Klan, or any white supremacist, is cast as a bad guy.

KRYPTON INC. and Silvermoth like this.
  19. Silvermoth Avenger

I’m reading that at the moment, absolutely loving it! Proper classic superman. People say he’s dated but they only have to read this to realise just how to write him

20. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Or speed goose stepping. :o

21. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

On a serious note, another reason why Nazis are more utilized as cinematic villains is because of their leaders are infamous. Pretty much everyone knows who Adolf Hitler is, and underneath him you had a veritable rogue's gallery of senior Nazis like Goering, Goebbels, etc. I doubt that even most Americans can name one historical leader of the KKK without looking it up, much less its founders.

KRYPTON INC. and Schlosser85 like this.
  22. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Watchmen portrayed them realistically?
    Their treatment in Watchmen may have not been comical, it was still kinda dumb for a lot of it

#22 MadVillainy, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  23. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

In the Fantastic Four, Hitler was also Hate Monger, who was just a KKK in purple. So they combined both concepts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

Ah, that takes me back. In Marvel 616 continuity, Adolf Hitler didn't commit suicide, but was instead incinerated alive by Human Torch I (the android/Jim Hammond version).

25. killface Registered

Was referring to
    Keane and how he uses his politics to nurture the seeds of racism