Dark Phoenix How confident are you that this movie is going to be great? (No Spoilers)

TheNewSlayer

Civilian
Reaction score
Don't Spoil Dark Phoenix.
If you have any info concerning spoilers please keep to yourself or go the the spoiler thread in this board.

I only saw the first trailer and now the final trailer. Didn't watch the international trailer or the tv spot trailer. Based on these trailers that I saw, I confess that I'm not very excited for this movie. It doesn't feel right now that it's going to happen something amazing or big like what we saw in Avengers Endgame.

Even Fox X-Men best movies like Days of Future past and Deadpool 2 didn't have major action scenes. Fox relies too much on the conversation between characters. I mean, in every MCU movie so far, even movie for characters that don't have powers like Captain America (except being strong), they always shows some amazing action sequence.

Just so that we're clear I don't judge these movies on visual effects or action sequences, is just that there is so much that they could do with the X-Men.

Anyway, I still think that this movie will be great, just not something Uncanny.

From what I’ve been told - and this isn’t a spoiler - there will be some great action sequences that we’ve only seen glimpses of in the trailers. I mean, the guys responsible for the action are the guys that did the crazy awesome stuff for Mad Max: Fury Road, so...

Based on everything I've seen and the spoilers (if true; which I feel are) I think it will be very good.

I don't think it will be the level of DoFP but around First Class.

While not a panel by panel recreation of the comic, it seems to take the major story beats of the comic. Importantly Jean is the centre of the film every character revolves around her situation.

Based on what we have seen in the trailers, I think the cinematography and VFX look great.

Action wise (based of spoilers) this does seem to be the most action packed X-men film we've had especially when it comes to the use of metaphysical power combat (cyclops blasts, storms power, Jeans powers etc).

Based on everything I've seen and the spoilers (if true; which I feel are) I think it will be very good.

I don't think it will be the level of DoFP but around First Class.

While not a panel by panel recreation of the comic, it seems to take the major story beats of the comic. Importantly Jean is the centre of the film every character revolves around her situation.

Based on what we have seen in the trailers, I think the cinematography and VFX look great.

Action wise (based of spoilers) this does seem to be the most action packed X-men film we've had especially when it comes to the use of metaphysical power combat (cyclops blasts, storms power, Jeans powers etc).

The only regular member here that’s seen the film thus far, is @icekid, and by all accounts he’s very happy about this movie.

I trust his judgment, in saying that movies are subjective, and I might not end up liking it, who knows? What I’ve heard, I’ve liked so far! Time will tell.

I’m more interested in the audience reception. A lot of critics/bloggers have made their minds up about the film, some aren’t even hiding it anymore. That’s one mountain to high for it to succeed, but I hope it proves me wrong in that regard, and is a critic, audience, and box office success. I just want the best for the X men, and they will be under Disney, but I want it to do well under Fox (one last time).

Last edited:
My scale for this series is:
Great: X2, DOFP, Logan
Very Good: First Class
Good: X-Men, Apocalypse, The Wolverine
Eh: The Last Stand
Garbage: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

So going off of that I think it'll be very good.

I'm not here to start a off topic war but I don't understand how people can place First Class above Apocalypse.

In my Country I was on premier of First Class and Apocalypse. During First Class people were very bored, only in the last action scene of the movie is when we saw a reaction from the theater. I was very bored the whole movie. Yet, Apocalypse people wouldn't stop cheering and applauding some scenes of how happy they were.

To name a few, Apocalypse Vs Jean got a huge reaction from the public, Wolverine cameo, The Horsemen vs the X-Men, the Quicksilver saving people in the mansion scene. How can a movie with so many great moments be behind Fist Class which the most excited scene was Magneto stopping the missiles?

I'm not here to start a off topic war but I don't understand how people can place First Class above Apocalypse.

In my Country I was on premier of First Class and Apocalypse. During First Class people were very bored, only in the last action scene of the movie is when we saw a reaction from the theater. I was very bored the whole movie. Yet, Apocalypse people wouldn't stop cheering and applauding some scenes of how happy they were.

To name a few, Apocalypse Vs Jean got a huge reaction from the public, Wolverine cameo, The Horsemen vs the X-Men, the Quicksilver saving people in the mansion scene. How can a movie with so many great moments be behind Fist Class which the most excited scene was Magneto stopping the missiles?
I would agree that Apocalypse has more memorable moments in terms of action, but I think First Class has a better grasp on its characters. Don't get me wrong I do like the characters in Apocalypse, but I think some of them were handled a bit better in First Class.

Glad to see there's someone besides me that enjoyed the action sequences in Apocalypse.

I would agree that Apocalypse has more memorable moments in terms of action, but I think First Class has a better grasp on its characters. Don't get me wrong I do like the characters in Apocalypse, but I think some of them were handled a bit better in First Class.

Glad to see there's someone besides me that enjoyed the action sequences in Apocalypse.
I wish Apocalypse movie had been famous enough for Fox to release an extended edition. Some of the deleted scenes could have easily made into the movie like Storm speech to Xavier, Scott and Alex at home, Moira arresting William, among others.

I respect your point of view but I still disagree. I didn't really enjoy the plot itself. Sebastian Shaw being responsible for Magneto's mother death, the CIA involvement subplot, among many other things. First Class movie for me it only got interested in the final action sequence when they get the sub to the beach and the missile scene. Magneto couldn't have been able to break Emma on her diamond form, even so with that metal from the bed. And Emma sound/looked weak in this movie. They could never have been able to hold her in that prison without one of those power inhibitor. Since she was able to use her diamond form in that prison, she clearly could use her powers. She could just mind wipe everyone there since Xavier wasn't there. So many huge mistakes like this made me not like this movie. Also, Mystique being Xavier sister was another letdown for me. IMO the First Class movie is just as low as X-Men Origins Wolverine.

First Class is my favorite X-Men movie. But, you know, I value a well-constructed, dramatic film over a mess of sloppy, pixelated action sequences. Hey, to each their own. :up:

I’m not confident it will be anywhere near DoFP or Logan level. I know it won’t but I think I this time around it won’t be Apocalypse/Last Stand level either. I think it’s gonna be a fairly decent movie.

Simon Kinberg didnt direct and write all the great ones. And I doubt he was mostly responsible for Dofp's greatness. While Logan is Mangold's baby.

Not at all. I was already skeptical when this was announced and the trailers have NOT dissuaded me.

Apocalypse sucked out any remaining hope for this franchise not named Logan or Deadpool for me, sadly, so I am not expecting anything even approaching great, I wish I was, as it would be nice to have a decent send off for this franchise that has been around for longer than most, but its been a rocky road to say the least.

Fingers crossed I guess but the stories from production dont exactly raise any hope either.

I think what's really being asked (OP-correct me if I'm wrong) is if this movie will be in the same league as a certain mega-blockbuster that contains the best live-action superhero battle of all time.

The answer is no. We all know the answer is no.

For all the talk of doing things different, this is still the Singerverse folks. Anyone expecting some huge divergence from the Singer films is kidding themselves--if not outright lieing to themselves. We all know what to expect from these films by now. Why deep doing this to yourself?

Why anyone would keep setting themselves up for disappointment by these films is beyond me.

Fox relies too much on the conversation between characters.
eXcited for that. Apocalypse didn't have enough.
Also, the Mad Max trio are oozing out with these latest trailers.

I'm just hoping it's better than Apocalypse, which I found to be mediocre.

I think what's really being asked (OP-correct me if I'm wrong) is if this movie will be in the same league as a certain mega-blockbuster that contains the best live-action superhero battle of all time.

The answer is no. We all know the answer is no.
Speak for yourself

I am as confident as the guys that said the economy was great right before the financial crash.

I don't think there is any possibility of me enjoying this movie, based on everything I know about it. And it starts by the movie itself. I hated, and still do, the fact that they are adapting Dark Phoenix just after introducing Jean, a story that would be much better told with a proper build up. We don't know this Jean yet and don't care much about her.

So that's the first thing, but my major problem with this franchise is about the treatment of the characters. This is the number one thing I'm sick about it. And the fact that they were unwilling to let go of characters like Eric, give him a big role, while characters like Kurt and Ororo will be less than supporting characters... it pisses me off. Especially Storm. So the fact that they'll continue to treat those characters like garbage throws me off.

And there's also the fact that they're adapting the exact same story they adapted only 3 movies ago. And with too much familiar beats. Instead of an actual meaningful change, it seems they're going backwards with this "it needs to be grounded" thing. It seems they want to get back to early 2000s.

And the fact that they think this movie will be different because now the X-Men had a mission of Earth's orbit, and there's an alien villain (who looks very human by the way), but maintaining the same old structure, focused on the same characters... it's crazy. XMA had a completely different type of villain that we haven't seen in the franchise... and yet, it failed to bring something good. So the mission in "space" won't make any difference when they refuse to change the structure.

Anyway... I believe that will be, at best, mediocre. The action could be good, but I care about the characters. And I simply don't see myself enjoying the movie since they're clearly repeating the mistakes I hate so much about it.

The thing of it is, generally speaking, what one believes they are going to feel they often find a way to make happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"