How Do You Feel About Batman Killing?

ManWithNoName18

Sidekick
Reaction score
By now you've either seen it in theatres or have heard about it online, that yes in BVS Batman has no qualms against killing people. How do you guys feel about this

-Is Batman as bad as the criminals he locks away?
-Or is he just making sure they can't ever hurt anyone again?
-How is it some villains like Deadshot/Harley/Joker not dead yet?
-Do you think Batman in the DCEU has always been killing, or did it take Robin's death/Barbara's crippling to push him?
-Should Batman start being non-lethal after BVS?
-What would his relationship be with the Al Ghul's or Red Hood be like?

Also here is Zack Snyder's defense of Batman Killing just for more info

“I tried to do it in a technical way. There’s a great YouTube video that shows all the kills in the Christopher Nolan movies even though we would perceive them as movies where he doesn’t kill anyone. I think there’s 42 potential kills that Batman does! Also, it goes back and includes even the Tim Burton Batman movies where this reputation as a guy that doesn’t kill comes from. So, I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they’re in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy’s hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy’s are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that’s not really my problem.”

Here is the video he refers to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVIG7YvdjM&feature=youtu.be

"No, Batman should never kill under any circumstance"

why wasn't this question asked when dkr came out then? he very clearly killed people at the end of that movie

I think one has to understand the why of what has driven him to this point as we meet him in BvS.

Every ounce of faith, trust, love, pursuit of justice has been ripped from him, he is left only with a bitter distrust that man is pure evil and shall arrive at his door and he alone must purge that. Once you appreciate that view and see the stand he is faced with, in his mind, killing is the only option until Superman demonstrates the faith of humanity to him that we all have the capacity to be loved and know that hope exists....

He shouldn't do it.

He shouldn't do it, but he's been doing it in movies since '89. So I just give up and go along for the ride. :shrug:

He shouldn't kill, but every single movie version of him has. I'm used to it.

I don't generally like it, but he's killed in the other movies, so whatever. And if his choosing not to brand Lex at the end means anything, he's dialing it back down from here on out. So as long as that plays out like I think it might, I think we're good.

And even if he doesn't...I'm willing to forgive a lot because that costume is awesome.

I've always seen Batman as working outside the law with questionable methods. And I've seen the no killing policy in way too many superheroes. But I've been cool with both ways for Batman. I didn't mind him killing in Batman 89 because it wasn't like he was killing everyone. He tried to save Jack Napier, he didn't kill those two thugs at the beginning of the movie. And when Nolan came underlining the non killing policy, it worked beautifully too because it was brilliantly written, specially when it turned a battle between him and the Joker around that policy. I just want Affleck to choose one way and establish it clearly from the beginning.

I can accept killing if its a grey area where its a necessity, I hate how loss of life is at times avoided or concealed with convenient circumstances brought about by writers..
I accept killing as long as its severe circumstances and there is no indifference in the act.

All that being said I prefer my Batman to try and protect life...I get used to the idea that batman doesnt necessarily win his battles as much as he prevents a catastrophic defeat.

I don't mind it except that it calls to question why he hasn't killed Joker yet.

I don't mind that he has, but I'd prefer if he didn't going forward. And, honestly, after all the Superman stuff in BVS, I'd prefer they don't dwell on it either. He killed then, but doesn't kill now. Onward and upward.

Totally with Sawyer here. It seems to be impossible to put Batman in a movie without him inadvertently offing a few extras, but I do hope this can be quietly avoided and forgotten in future.

Batman has killed on occasion in the comics. I think one of the reasons Tim Drake sought out Richard Grayson to return as Robin was because Batman was becoming psychotic.
That being said...Batman's arc in BvS showed us a Batman that was brutal and committed murder and when he saw the sacrifice Superman made...he decided to pull back and be the man he was before...signified by him not branding Lex (which was a death sentence in prison)

Can't answer the poll. There needs to be another one added. "Only when he absolutely, positively needs to kill in order to save another persons life".

The issue with killing that people have, has everything to do with intention.

I don't mind it except that it calls to question why he hasn't killed Joker yet.

I see it as a personal battle between the two. If Batman kills Joker as revenge for killing JT then the Joker wins.

I don't mind him killing, but if it's set after BvS I don't think he will.

It's easy to explain why he didn't kill Joker, or the other big rogues. All the deaths he caused were collateral damage, it's not like he was actively going out of way to intentionally kill the bad guys. And the Big Bads are skilled and/or smart enough to wind up as collateral damage.

I'm fine with it. Never even thought it was an issue. :huh:

All superheroes have killed. Not sure why Batman has to be any different.

I'm fine with it. Never even thought it was an issue. :huh:

All superheroes have killed. Not sure why Batman has to be any different.
Why? Because he's not other superheroes. The idea is that he's unique and is his own superhero with his own moral dilemmas. His own code.

I don't understand this defense of "they all do it, sooo". Why do people want characters to be all alike? That's what separates them from each other. Punisher is Punisher. Spidey is Spidey. Cap is Cap. Batman is Batman. Etc.

Depends on the situation. If it's a situation where he is being shot at by helicopter guns and other kinds of heavy artillery and it is his survival or the survival of an innocent at stake then I have no problem with it.

I'm ok with some gray area on this but I recognize that some people want it be all absolute, he should never kill under any circumstance type of thing which I don't necessarily buy into.

I don't mind it really. He was always on about his no killing code in the dark knight trilogy but still did it. It didn't bother me then. Doesn't now.

It's easy to explain why he didn't kill Joker, or the other big rogues. All the deaths he caused were collateral damage, it's not like he was actively going out of way to intentionally kill the bad guys. And the Big Bads are skilled and/or smart enough to not wind up as collateral damage.

Good points

tumblr_lspto73PR71qbvn8yo2_250.gif

WRdWpW.gif

It's easy to explain why he didn't kill Joker, or the other big rogues. All the deaths he caused were collateral damage, it's not like he was actively going out of way to intentionally kill the bad guys. And the Big Bads are skilled and/or smart enough to wind up as collateral damage.
Nah, only Superman :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"