How do you feel about Marvel's second wave heroes?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
If Iron Man, Hulk, Cap and Thor are Marvel's first wave (heroes starring in their own series'), then Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Spidey, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are the second.

We know some of the first wavers won't survive Infinity War (my money's on Cap and Hulk going down fighting), but it's safe to say all the second lot will live to fight another day as they are Marvel's future.

Question is, how do you feel about the second wave? Better than the first lot? Not as good? They are are mainly B or C listers in comic history, but their box office takings have been A+.

Their first films definitely made more money than the first's big four. Ant-Man both outgrossed Hulk/First Avenger, Dr. Strange made more money than Thor and black Panther will soon outcross Avengers 1 in North America. While Captain Marvel would probably perform better than the first films of the bug four minus Iron Man.

I just hope when Ms finally introduces F4/XM, the films would be as successful as the biggest MCU movies.

Very strong makings of a new Avengers team. Even the supporting characters have rocked.

I'm happy with them all although I'd prefer if some of the originals at least stuck around in the background.

Yeah, I'm very optimistic about the potential of the new roster. Part of the excitement is the freshness of it all. Plus we've got a Black Widow movie on the way.

The holdover may be Thor, but there is no certainty he gets another film or even appears again in a substantial way.

I don't like any of them as much as I like the original wave, really. But we obviously haven't gotten as much time with the new heroes yet.

Dr Strange: I didn't mind his film and cameo in Ragnarok and I am looking forward to seeing more of him.

Ant-Man: Honestly might be my favorite of the new heroes.

Spider-Man: I loathe the fanboy Spidey but looks like he matured in IW

Black Panther: Highlight of Civil War. Didn't do a whole lot for me in his own film though.

Captain Marvel: To be seen

Dr. Strange: Weird combination of interesting and boring. He should be weirder and cooler than he is, but he's still a little bit weird and a little bit cool.

Black Panther: The King. I'll hear nothing other than his greatness.

Captain Marvel: Highly optimistic about this one, for a number of reasons. It's been cooking a long time.

Ant-Man: Don't get the appeal. I much more enjoy him as a comedic supporting character ala Civil War. Wish these were Wasp movies.

Spider-Man: Adorable kid who I can't even help but root for. He can't do the same trick again though, he has to grow.

It's hard to say which I prefer more, though. Like, Cap is my fave from the first wave, and BP my fave from the new wave, but Cap can never replace BP, and BP can never replace Cap. And I like both BP and Cap far more than any others, say Iron Man and Dr. Strange. If I had to pick either first wave Avengers or New Wave characters as an Avengers squad, at, like, gunpoint, I'd pick New Wave, but that's mostly because of possibilities and advancement, not because I think they're better as a foundation.

I agree with Sprrd Force they'll do but they aren't really ever going to replace the originals.

This is why I feel Captain America will not die, I think they will want one of the originals to mentor the new team, and he is the best fit.

That said, I do like how the new team is shaping up :up:

I remember back when everyone was acting like there was no way that they'd replace the original heroes, that it just wasn't possible. I think that's been proved quite throughly wrong. Marvel is in very good hands passing off the torch to a new generation of heroes.

I remember back when everyone was acting like there was no way that they'd replace the original heroes, that it just wasn't possible. I think that's been proved quite throughly wrong. Marvel is in very good hands passing off the torch to a new generation of heroes.

I have always felt they would be phased out eventually, just not until after Avengers 3 back in the day (and now Avengers 4), so I was right on that front. I still think they will keep Cap for the new team's first outing as New Avengers.

I have always felt they would be phased out eventually, just not until after Avengers 3 back in the day (and now Avengers 4), so I was right on that front. I still think they will keep Cap for the new team's first outing as New Avengers.

Cap does definitely seem like the clear choice for a surviving veteran to mentor the new team. But his death at the same time almost seems like too great a moment to pass up. Given that they're moving forward with a Black Widow film post-Avengers 4, I think there's a chance she'll be the one that sticks around as a mentor.

Cap does definitely seem like the clear choice for a surviving veteran to mentor the new team. But his death at the same time almost seems like too great a moment to pass up. Given that they're moving forward with a Black Widow film post-Avengers 4, I think there's a chance she'll be the one that sticks around as a mentor.

I still say Stark is the money death.

I'm afraid I am very old fashioned in my mind as to what makes the characteristics of any set of superheroes, I'd want there to be continuity between the characters of whats gone previously and what comes next.

Appreciate though story lines have to evolve and demonstrate 'heft' of consequences.

I agree with Sprrd Force they'll do but they aren't really ever going to replace the originals.

Is that because the characters themselves just aren't as good? Except Spidey, they are B and C listers.

Whoever's contract is the most expensive to re-new will be the one(s) to go plus Hawkeye.

I'm afraid I am very old fashioned in my mind as to what makes the characteristics of any set of superheroes, I'd want there to be continuity between the characters of whats gone previously and what comes next.

Appreciate though story lines have to evolve and demonstrate 'heft' of consequences.

Same here. If you outright replace the whole group it doesn't feel like it can be called the same team any more. Different when you slowly change out members over time.

Hedging my bets, but I think Stark and Cap. And Hulk.

I don't see them permanently killing more than 1 of the big 4. I honestly see less death in the movie happening than people seem to think will happen.

When there's too many deaths you don't get to really react to them properly or in the way you would if they happened one at a time. Also you want to see everyone else's reactions to that death, especially those who have known the character the longest. I think one of the biggest characters will die, along with a couple of other heroes. The likes of Drax, Nebula, Heimdall, Loki all have a big chance of going IMO.

When there's too many deaths you don't get to really react to them properly or in the way you would if they happened one at a time. Also you want to see everyone else's reactions to that death, especially those who have known the character the longest. I think one of the biggest characters will die, along with a couple of other heroes. The likes of Drax, Nebula, Heimdall, Loki all have a big chance of going IMO.

I think Loki is a shoe-in. However, as we all know, MCU really doesn't do death in it's finite meaning.

I don't see them permanently killing more than 1 of the big 4. I honestly see less death in the movie happening than people seem to think will happen.

This. If Cap or Tony die, then the most entertaining move is to have one stick around to mourn the other. I don't see Hulk dying, but find it much more likely that Banner will "transform for the last time" to end his story.

Yeah, Loki kind of has to go to end Thor's story. Wouldn't count on Drax biting it, even though he's the most expendable GotG, that is a shame, not a conclusion. Besides, GotG still has to happen.

Also, how did this turn into a convo about killing off the old guard? It's not like they're going away because people like the new ones more. That's not how any of this works.

This :up:

You want stakes, but you also need the deaths to be meaningful. Therefore, you cannot overplay that card. Just think of an event like Ultimatum. Killed lots of people, did anyone care? No. Sometimes less is more

This. If Cap or Tony die, then the most entertaining move is to have one stick around to mourn the other. I don't see Hulk dying, but find it much more likely that Banner will "transform for the last time" to end his story.

This. Plus, no part of me think Disney wants to retire all 4 of the guys they built their entire merchandise strategy for the better part of 10 years altogether.

Yeah, Loki kind of has to go to end Thor's story. Wouldn't count on Drax biting it, even though he's the most expendable GotG, that is a shame, not a conclusion. Besides, GotG still has to happen.

Also, how did this turn into a convo about killing off the old guard? It's not like they're going away because people like the new ones more. That's not how any of this works.

Drax is just a possible due to his back story with Thanos. I'd prefer he stayed for future Guardians films.

I didn't expect more than one of the original 6 to die here until recent comments about the guard changing by the likes of Scarlett. Not necessarily death for all of them, but it has sounded like at least retirement from many of the originals and I hope either that that is not the case, or that they continue to show up in other character's films or in the background of future team films.

Retiring the 'big 4' hitters on the original line up does mean they evade the re-cast debate, so will probably take that if it's an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"