Luke Cage How Do You Rate Luke Cage Season One?

This could have been easily my most liked Netflix series but like Daredevil season 2, the last few episodes just weren't as strong as the first few episodes. The finale was a letdown. So its just okay for me.

IMO-

Daredevil season 2/Luke Cage- 9.5
Jessica Jones- 9
Daredevil season 1- 8.5

I'll go with a 7.5

None of the villains really stood out and I didn't end up caring for Luke as much as I do about Matt or Jessica. That's not a knock on Mike Colter or Luke Cage.

One thing I liked about this show is the side characters were much better than the ones in Jessica Jones. Other than Trish and Malcolm, none of the side characters worked for me.

At the end of the day, I just felt like something was missing.

I'm going to rate this show an 8.5. The strengths of the show far out weighed the bad for me, but the flaws of the show were significant for me to shave off 1.5 points.

The good:

1) Great lead - Luke cage is a very interesting character, with a nice backstory, a strong acting from Mike Colter, and overall an easy person root for. Luke Cage is the only character out of the three Netflix shows so far where he never did anything that frustrated me as a viewer at any point. I like Matt Murdock, and Jessica Jones, but Luke is my favorite defender so far.

2)Supporting Cast - I loved most of the supporting players in this show. Cottonmouth and Mariah were great antagonists and both interesting in their right. Misty Knight was very strong character in both portrayal by her actress, and by the way she was written. The majority of characters had good chemistry with Luke, especially Claire Temple.

3)Setting- The setting of the show felt more true to life for me since I live in a NYC neighborhood similar to what's depicted in the show. It's easier for me to accept the need for a superhero to defend the people there more so than Daredevil defending hell's kitchen (not to say that it's a negative for DD).

4)Soundtrack is great, nothing else to add.

5)Story is very good for the most part save for finale couple episodes, which felt slightly stretched out. There was never a completely boring episode in this season.

Bad:

1) This show had two season ending climaxes for no real reason. The last 3 episodes could have been condensed into 2 while shaving off the lull in between. The final climax was weak and reminded me too much of Rocky V. The show would have finished stronger during the first climax. A 12 episode season rather than 13 would have made this show a lot better.

2) While most of the characters were great there was one villain who was hyped up earlier in the season that disappointed me because he acted nothing like he was supposed to be. Without the pre-hype, he's actually pretty good, though not as good as the other antagonists. Long story short, I expected Gustavo Fring, but I got Tuco instead. People who watched breaking bad know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
First seven episodes better than all the Marvel Netflix shows. Overall the whole thing was on par with the rest of the Marvel Netflix shows.

1. DD S1
2. LC
3. DD S2
4. JJ

^ Los pollos totally agree I was expecting like Darth Vader/Fring/Thanos lol

We got Dr. Evil/Scooby Doo villain instead

1. DDS1
2. DDS2
3. Jessica Jones
4. Luke Cage

Overall, I thought Luke Cage was a great show. The characters were engaging, and served their purposes well. Cottonmouth was a fantastically vicious villain, as was Mariah (totally didn't see it coming how her and Cottonmouth's arc developed). I thought that Diamondback was a great callback to earlier films, and was a believable threat. The setting was great, and I really believed that this is Harlem. Leading into the (few) negatives I had with the show, although the music was awesome in establishing this world, I feel it might have been a bit overdone. The show also lapses into some exposition-heavy moments like the other Netflix series. I also thought the show got a little preachy and on-the-nose with its message- almost as though the writers forgot the "sub" in "subtext". As others have mentioned, it could have also benefited, like the other shows, from a bit tighter/shorter of a story- maybe eleven or twelve episodes per season. On the whole, Luke Cage is a tremendous contribution to the MCU.

Loved the characters (even Diamondback, he was crazy fun), Colter was charismatic as ever with strong acting, Simone was awesome as Misty. Ali's Cottonmouth is one the best MCU villains, i'd rank him right up there with Kingpin, Loki and Purple Man
Too bad he was killed off soo early, would've loved to see him in S2
Dillard was someone you love to hate and Shades was charismatic and badass, definitely one of my favorite characters in the show. The soundtrack was great as well.

I know everybody says otherwise, but I think the show actually started picking when
After Dillard killed Cornell
I was even more hooked into the show
when Diamondback shot and penetrated his skin. I was like "Holy ****!! the Weapon DOES indeed work like Shades said. I was legitimately scared for Luke when Claire couldn't get the shrapnel out of his body.
My only/main problem with this show was the anticlimactic ending
You're really going to bring Luke back to Seagate even though he's innocent of the crimes accused and all of the good he's done for the City? The bad guys are STILL in power (Shades & Mariah) abd Diamondback is going through treatment/experiments to become like like Luke... Sigh. What the hell, dude.

But I loved the show. 8/10.

Started off great but then fell off roughly midway through the season. I give it an 8.5. The music was sick. Can't wait for the soundtrack

DD1>DD2>LC>JJ

My only/main problem with this show was the anticlimactic ending
You're really going to bring Luke back to Seagate even though he's innocent of the crimes accused and all of the good he's done for the City? The bad guys are STILL in power (Shades & Mariah) abd Diamondback is going through treatment/experiments to become like like Luke... Sigh. What the hell, dude.

The city of New York has no authority to say no to an extradition request from the state of Georgia. On top of that, Luke is clearly not innocent of the crime of escaping from prison. People innocent of crimes have to either establish that in court or get a pardon from that state's governor. Either way, he has to be brought back to Georgia to do that.

DD Season 1 9.5/10
DD Season 2 8.8/10
Luke Cage 7.2/10
JJ - DNF

Right now, LC has become my 2nd favorite all-time super hero TV show. Power Man doesn't have the most unique power set, so it was imperative that the writers nail his personality and backdrop. They did just that, and added 3 outstanding villains to Marvel's live-action collection. Plus, this show touched on many of the current social issues of the world, giving it a bigger feel than just entertainment.

I tip my hat to everyone involved. I can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:
It was good, but I'd probably rank it last among the 4 Netflix series.

I got it in this order.

DD1 - 10
JJ - 9
DD2 - 9
Cage - 8.5

Overall I would say about 8.5 out of 10. I think great in the first half, but the second half just didn't quite meet the initial ambitions.

That being said, I liked that Luke Cage sort of had its own style and sound from the other shows.

Damn. This show was fantastic. Easily the best thing to come out of Marvel Netflix since Daredevil Season 1.

Personally I'd say 6/10.
It was good but not on par with DD or JJ. Most of my friends that normally smash through whole seasons in a weekend are still going with this as it gets really slow in the end half of the season and hard to keep interested in.

Diamondback was a pantomime villain I would have expected to come form an episode of the Flash. He really stood out as being bad and blew away any authenticity to the world they'd been building.

I think I set the bar way too high in my mind for this. IT was ok. Misty was great though - I'd prefer to see a Daughters of the Dragon season rather than a S2 of Luke Cage.

None of these Netflix shows deserve 'Perfection' score, the closest thing to get that score to me is 'Daredevil' season 2.

So ok, this is how I rank them:

1. DD S2 - 9.5/10
2. Jessica Jones - 9/10
3. DD S1 - 8/10
4. Luke Cage - 7/10

I'm still only finished 8 but I give a Great or a 9.5 I LOVE the show very much, but I can't quite put my finger on what's missing other than Misty's arm, unless that's coming later

I had high expectations and I wasn't disappointed. It avoided the hardcore idiot ball holding that hurt JJ's overall score. I don't cry but I did laugh at the comedic beats (some like "man I don't even like dem n***as" really had me rolling) I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack and even the cheesiest parts felt appropriate

Last edited:
I was really hoping Jessica Jones was the worst a Netflix show would get. Not that it was terrible, but it was a significant step down from Daredevil, with a lot of filler and irritating/pointless characters (basically, the only good parts were when David Tennant was on screen). But, my hopes were never high for this show (just not a big fan of Cage or hip-hop/black culture), so I wasn't too disappointed. I was hoping the writing would be strong enough to hold my interest, but that never happened. The show started out well enough but quickly became predictable, rote and silly. After episode 7 I just skimmed through the rest.

DD S1: 9/10
DD S2: 8/10
JJ: 7/10
LC: 5/10

I'm still only finished 8 but I give a Great or a 9.5 I LOVE the show very much, but I can't quite put my finger on what's missing other than Misty's arm, unless that's coming later
:hehe:
Glad this is not a pun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"