First Avenger How do you think Nick Fury will be worked into the film?

The Question

Objectivism doesn't work.
Reaction score
Just in the present day bookends, or as a Howler in the 40s? If he is in the 40s, why doesn't he look any older? Infinity Formula? Something related to the SSS? What do you think?

I hope it involves the Infinity Formula. And I hope we get to see him in action in this film.

Haven't we already been told Cap's gonna encounter The Howling Commando's in the movie?

That seems like the obvious place....

I've applied to be an extra whilst they are filming over here (not heard back yet) but apparently one of the scenes that might be filmed over here is with Nick Fury in some offices.
The casting for extras is those willing to have 40's short back and sides plus long on top.
Now i don't know whether the two are connected but if they are it could be possible that Fury has something to do with WWII other than that it could simply be them filming the bookends in present day.

It's certainly an interesting question. Something else to consider is, IF he is present in the 40's, will he have the origin/storyline of 616 Fury, where he is a normal soldier throughout the war, leading the HCs and is later given the Infinity Formula......OR, Ultimate Fury's origin where he is the original "guinea pig" of the SSS (alot like Isaiah Bradley in 616 continuity)?

it'd be cool if he was in the present day bookends and we get to see him in action as a Howling Commando

Wouldn't mind seeing greeting Cap in the present day and telling him about the Avengers as well as being in WW2 era. I'd hope for him to be leading the Howling Commandos/Invaders/whatever they are at this point.

I agree that Nick Fury could be a great way of linking WWII Captain America to the present day and introducing him to the Avengers.

Surfer

Though I wouldn't want Nick Fury to be a copy and paste of his modern day self. I'd still want him to be what is essentially the Nick Fury we know, but a little less experienced. Just a little less though. Maybe 10% less cocky/badass as he is in the modern day since he pretty much learned all his stuff in WW2.

Last edited:
I hope they don't try and modernise the setting too much. For me the success or failure of this film depends entirely on the authenticity of the time.

I don't know man. We are talking about the 40's here. I don't see the U.S. Army putting a black man in charge of a covert ops team back then.

It's just another part of the movie where you have to suspend disbelief. If you can swallow that said squad have superpowers then you can believe in a black man.

I don't know man. We are talking about the 40's here. I don't see the U.S. Army putting a black man in charge of a covert ops team back then.

Maybe they could have someone else in charge that was like a close friend to Fury and he tells him that if anything happens to him on the battlefield, lead the troops, his friend dies, Fury is in charge. He should be a little bit lighter in attitude than Samuel Jackson

This.

If they didn't let them be grunts, there's no way in hell they'd let a black guy be a secret operative.

Ultimate has some thing in 616 Nick have something beside being leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a eypatch:
Leader of Howling Cammandos as seen in Ultimate X-men
He was in WW2 and experimented as a supersoldier serum(which someone viewed it as a simplified version of the infinitie serum as he lives for years)
AND SOME OTHER THINGS.

While I dug the Truth mini, I don't think you neccesarily need to put a similar situation in the first movie. (Or at all really). I think we are better off with Fury being there when they find him in the Ice at the end and call it a day.

Basically just make Fury the exception to the rule due to him being experimented on. Just like the Tuskegee thing.

this is an interesting question that i always ask myself whenever fury would bring up WWII in the comics. how old is this guy and how old was he in WWII. then i found out about the infinity serum, this question doesnt just pertain to fury though lots of the marvel characters are really old and it makes you wonder how comicbook time is relative to real time. how long ago was WWII for the heroes of the marvel universe.

It's certainly an interesting question. Something else to consider is, IF he is present in the 40's, will he have the origin/storyline of 616 Fury, where he is a normal soldier throughout the war, leading the HCs and is later given the Infinity Formula......OR, Ultimate Fury's origin where he is the original "guinea pig" of the SSS (alot like Isaiah Bradley in 616 continuity)?

I personally love both origins!,"original guinea pig"may be great to show Fury as a true unique badass and damn special,But then again....Fury as a normal soldier type makes much more sense realistic wise cause of a blackman in the US in the the military in 40's.

I also personally would love to see Fury referenced once in the movie as a HC,While then having a cameo in a battle scene as still an overall rookie even though leading HC!,Then of course another little scene towards the end with him taking the serum.

this is an interesting question that i always ask myself whenever fury would bring up WWII in the comics. how old is this guy and how old was he in WWII. then i found out about the infinity serum, this question doesnt just pertain to fury though lots of the marvel characters are really old and it makes you wonder how comicbook time is relative to real time. how long ago was WWII for the heroes of the marvel universe.

Same amount of time. It's just that the people that were alive during WWII usually stay young in various ways. Like Mags got deaged to a baby once. And The Red Skull got a body cloned from Captain America. You know, stuff like that. Marvel, and DC have what is known as a sliding timeline. About 10 to 15 years. The modern day MU starts when the FF took their first flight, which was roughly 10 to 15 years ago.

i just hope we get to see some lmd's of fury in the avengers. or maybe cap when he wakes up fury tells him he is in a different time and cap doesnt believe him. he takes out fury then sees its a robot and realizes he is in a different time. or they could do the racist comment from ultimates that was a good line. "im general fury", then cap says "nice try but if you did your homework you would have known black people dont hold rank"

That is good actually. There's none of the awkwardness which is present in some posters' ideas; "negro president" anyone? But it establishes the difference in time and the changes he will have to make.

i looked at it again and cap said "the highest ranking black man in the US army is a brooklyn born captain i grew up with". then he attacks fury.

This.

If they didn't let them be grunts, there's no way in hell they'd let a black guy be a secret operative.
This was my main concern when they went with Ultimate Fury. I was wondering how he would be in WW2. I hope they don't cut him out, but find a way to keep him in. :(

Maybe Dum Dum will be the head of the Howling Commandos and that Nick Fury will not be a Sgt. yet (maybe a battlefield promotion during the movie or something might be a nice tip of the hat) There was a black member of the howling commandos... maybe they just replace him with a young Nick Fury and you don't find out who he is untilt he end of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"