The Dark Knight Rises How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I think it will take a little more than just announcing the reboot or JLA movie. I say once we see the new Batman costume and if it is even close to how it looks in the comics the fan base will turn on Nolan. I can hear it now, "finally Batman is brought to life on the big screen." It happened when Batman Begins came out it will happen again.

You know, that's a good call. I'm vaguely aware of the "Batman II" premise and you're right, it is kind of reminiscent of the Court of Owls.

And man...the latter part of that arc is...controversial, to say the least.

Can't find anything related to the original Batman II premise...

IF they hit it out of the park with the rebooted Batman (Justice League & first solo movie) then i think people will turn on Nolan a great deal. It's how i see it at this very moment.

I've been going back watching episodes of The Animated Series this week, as well as Batman Beyond (and thinking about how the Arkham games could play into the next set of movies) and i can say...if they accurately bring Arkham/BTAS to life, eventually setting up a Batman Beyond? Then Nolans films will be hammered by the hardcore fans big time.

Ill never turn on the trilogy and the same can be said by others, and i certainly dont want people spitting on their memory. But i really do want a change. And others do as well. Whether they like Nolan or not.

I will always cherish the TDK trilogy though and I will defend the films when that day comes! Lol.

"They need you right now...but when they don't, they'll cast you out...like a leper."

Heh. Nolan can take it.

I'll defend and cherish what was done right, and acknowledge what was done poorly or left out.

Never seen a perfect Batman interpretation. Nolan's kicks ass, but I'm going to remain realistic about it, not black or white.

Ill defend them with my life lol. But i AM absolutely ready for some Arkham style ****. Batman Beyond too. Bring it on!

I predicted a while ago that if TDKR disappointed in any way, the fans would slowly turn against the films and magnify the flaws.

It happened with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. Although admittedly that film series had a lot more problems.

Who turns against a movie they...liked it ? Or if they didn't , did they kept lying to themselves ? I don't even understand the concept (although i agree it happens). I've seen people loving Spidey 3 in the movie theatre , and 3 days later they never liked it...

A guy must be quite an ass ,a complete tool to change his opinion based on what someone else thinks. This is not a fan. Its just an idiot.

Or some people liked a film but saw some things they didn't like, saw the film again, and then the flaws stood out more and they are not as enthusiastic towards the film

Or some people liked a film but saw some things they didn't like, saw the film again, and then the flaws stood out more and they are not as enthusiastic towards the film

Yes...but that has nothing to do with turning against the movie because something is new , or because they didn't liked a particular one.

That's a normal opinion. It happens all the time.

Well it could...if the new movie handles some aspect better than the original it could cause you to like the new film more and not really care for the older film after awhile.

I guess it depends on how you define 'turning against the movie'.

Well it could...if the new movie handles some aspect better than the original it could cause you to like the new film more and not really care for the older film after awhile.

I guess it depends on how you define 'turning against the movie'.

I cant grasp the notion of someone not liking one movie because of....another. That's called idiocy.

Ill defend them with my life lol. But i AM absolutely ready for some Arkham style ****. Batman Beyond too. Bring it on!

If you mean the Arkham game series, that would be a huge downgrade in my opinion. I like certain things about it (plot twists, atmosphere, all the sneaking and investigating and gadgets), but the whole steroids and hooker outfits theme puts me off, severely shames the franchise.

I'd like some more Jeph Loeb and Paul Dini influence though. :up: I'd also like a bigger sense of adventure, and less car chases replaced by more parkourish on-foot chases. Rooftop scrambling, chasing someone through an old abandoned building, or sewer, or construction site.

More mystery, athleticism, and darkness.

Last edited:
I cant grasp the notion of someone not liking one movie because of....another. That's called idiocy.

TASM trumped the SM trilogy's portrayal of Peter Parker and Spider-Man as characters, as well as the relationship Peter has with Doc Connors, and also does Gwen Stacy much more enjoyably. So while the Raimi interpretations were acceptable before, the new interpretation goes beyond being merely 'acceptable', and steps up to 'awesome'. So, by comparison, those elements of SM now seem less impressive.

It's a matter of having a comparison point when you didn't before. The movie no longer gets away with the novelty of being the only interpretation.

It's not idiocy. Idiocy is blind praise and absence of critical thinking.

TASM trumped the SM trilogy's portrayal of Peter Parker and Spider-Man as characters, as well as the relationship Peter has with Doc Connors, and also does Gwen Stacy much more enjoyably. So while the Raimi interpretations were acceptable before, the new interpretation goes beyond being merely 'acceptable', and steps up to 'awesome'. So, by comparison, those elements of SM now seem less impressive.

It's a matter of having a comparison point when you didn't before. The movie no longer gets away with the novelty of being the only interpretation.

It's not idiocy. Idiocy is blind praise and absence of critical thinking.

I dont agree with a single sentence you wrote about TASM and SM .

I agree blind praise is stupid . That's why people who liked something and now they dont because of something else are...stupids. Idiots. Because they praised it blindly. They have , what you called , absence of critical thinking.

That's like someone saying they dont enjoy 2001 right now because they saw a new space movie. Its just...irrational. To me that's idiocy.

Raimi movies have exactly the same flaws they had the day before TASM was released. You might prefer one over the other , but that has nothing to do with turning against a movie.

Let me give you an example then. I loved Batman and Robin when I was a kid. Didn't watch it for years after it came out. Saw Batman Begins, caught Batman Forever and Batman and Robin after and hated them, thought they were terrible....

People outgrow movies sometimes. Especially if a newer film, like begins, just knocks it out of the park and you begin to see how bad the films you used to like really are.

I'll defend and cherish what was done right, and acknowledge what was done poorly or left out.

Never seen a perfect Batman interpretation. Nolan's kicks ass, but I'm going to remain realistic about it, not black or white.

That's because there's no such thing as a perfect Batman interpretation. Never will be. There are only different interpretations with varying levels of quality and comic book accuracy.

In every adaptation, there are going to be things left out, changed, or added to gel with a filmmaker's vision. Not everyone will be, unless you can accept this. I feel that I can, which is why I pretty much appreciate each Batman film series for what they are: one-shot stories pulled from different eras of the comics. Now, it's time for someone else to write the words and create the images, but either way, more Batman is on the way.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be because of a newer film. I really liked the Star Wars prequels when I was younger too and when I got older I realized that they really weren't that great of films

JAK®;25133039 said:
I predicted a while ago that if TDKR disappointed in any way, the fans would slowly turn against the films and magnify the flaws.

It happened with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. Although admittedly that film series had a lot more problems.

It wouldn't have happened with Raimi's trilogy is SM3 wasn't a complete atrocity.

That's because there's no such thing as a perfect Batman interpretation. Never will be. There are only different interpretations with varying levels of quality and comic book accuracy.

In every adaptation, there are going to be things left out, changed, or added to gel with a filmmaker's vision. Not everyone will be, unless you can accept this. I feel that I can, which is why I pretty much appreciate each Batman film series for what they are: one-shot stories pulled from different eras of the comics. Now, it's time for someone else to write the words and create the images, but either way, more Batman is on the way.

Took the words right out of my mouth. There's way too many interpretations and preferences out there for Batman in particular for there ever to be the one be all, end all movie version.

Frankly, I think this is a good thing. Batman has always thrived on a very specific vision.

Let me give you an example then. I loved Batman and Robin when I was a kid. Didn't watch it for years after it came out. Saw Batman Begins, caught Batman Forever and Batman and Robin after and hated them, thought they were terrible....

People outgrow movies sometimes. Especially if a newer film, like begins, just knocks it out of the park and you begin to see how bad the films you used to like really are.

Well but that situation has to do with being young , and how we saw things as kids. That was obviously not the people i was referring. That's very normal.

This just sounds like typical bandwagon fashion tbh. I can easily notice the flaws in Superman: The Movie or Spider-Man, but I still really love those films.

I dont agree with a single sentence you wrote about TASM and SM .

Whether you do or not (and frankly the fact that you don't baffles me lol), people can arrive at that conclusion and it will be based on something. That's the point.

You could make the same argument about comparing your favorite bits of SM to the version of TASM you thought wasn't done as well.

Raimi movies have exactly the same flaws they had the day before TASM was released. You might prefer one over the other , but that has nothing to do with turning against a movie.

Sometimes the flaws aren't as obvious when you don't have a point of comparison to help expose them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"