The Dark Knight Rises How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

TDKR over-rated? How on Earth could you think of that when all you hear on the TDKR boards are polarizing opinions?

Small minority. But when I look at, for example, imdb page of the movie with rating 8.6 and 550 000 votes... What else should I think? Feels like majority voted like this: "Nolan's new Batman??? 10 ONLY by default." Or look at RT...

Some people see this craziness and obviously they have questions. Why the hell this movie has so much praising?

What's really funny, I remember how I reacted to rotten reviews. "WHAT? Nolan made a weak movie? After Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Inception??? No way this is truth." Now I clearly see MANY issues with the movie. Many points in rotten reviews had their reason.

Heck i went to imdb to see how rises was and noticed tdk almost has 1 million votes !! Damn !

TDK being in the top 10 with almost a million votes is baffling. Truly baffling. Then again, Shawshank being #1 on there is also truly baffling. That list is just heavily biased towards newer films. No way in hell I would put Shawshank above films like The Godfather or Casablanca.

TDK being in the top 10 with almost a million votes is baffling. Truly baffling. Then again, Shawshank being #1 on there is also truly baffling. That list is just heavily biased towards newer films. No way in hell I would put Shawshank above films like The Godfather or Casablanca.

The whole top 250 list is baffling.

But i understand those movies popularity , and tdk specifically (which was quite a pop culture phenomenon ).

I have to admit, from a pure Batman fanboy perspective it was pretty trippy to see TDK as #1 for a brief period in the summer of '08. I loved the absurdity of it.

Yeah, that list really needs help. I mean, I love TDK and TDKR, they are two of my top 10 favourite films of all time. But WTF is with 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange and many others being so low? And Shawshank Redemption, while good, is definitely not the best movie of all time.

That list is pretty pretentious. Crap like Tree of Life is in the top 1000 but Inception isn't? That's a joke to me.

Why would a list be pretentious ?

And Tree of Life is anything ...but crap.

theyshootpictures aggregated an amazing slice of worldwide cinema .

Oh, Malick, how I hate thee. The only decent movie he's done was Thin Red Line, in my opinion.

Small minority. But when I look at, for example, imdb page of the movie with rating 8.6 and 550 000 votes... What else should I think? Feels like majority voted like this: "Nolan's new Batman??? 10 ONLY by default." Or look at RT...

Some people see this craziness and obviously they have questions. Why the hell this movie has so much praising?

What's really funny, I remember how I reacted to rotten reviews. "WHAT? Nolan made a weak movie? After Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight and Inception??? No way this is truth." Now I clearly see MANY issues with the movie. Many points in rotten reviews had their reason.

Or...you're just trying to reach if you didn't enjoy TDKR and only think others give TDKR a "default" vote.

I don't think this movie is overrated or underrated.

A large group of people feel a certain way, either loving and praising the movie or disliking and criticizing the movie. That's all there is.

One site loves it, one site hates it. One fan loves it, the other, hates it. This person said that, this person said this. This person reviewed it that way, this person reviewed it this way. This person said "meh", this person thinks it's alright. One says flawed, the other indifferent. There's also the folks that don't give a damn, where the movie is old news and they have better things to do. There's also people that haven't seen it, or don't care about Batman. Or who are sports enthusiasts, or have other hobbies, or don't like movies. etc. etc.

That's all there is.

Pretentious crap, just like The New World (another Malick film on that top 1000 list).

Oh, Malick, how I hate thee. The only decent movie he's done was Thin Red Line, in my opinion.

Horrible taste both of you
icon6.gif

But seriously i hate todays criticism of pretentious. If anything Tree of Life is ambitious.

Pretentious is a movie that mendaciously defines a high goal but doesn't have any intellectual depth to achieve it. A LOT of blockbusters fit under this. Not one that purposely aims high (even if someone doesn't like the execution )

What's shameful is how low is the distribution of projects like Tree of Life in comparison to the crap that gets released every week.

As for that particular list , i certainly don't agree with it completely. Mine would be radically different. But i love the diversity of it. Its a nice slice of 100 years of worldwide cinema.

Last edited:
I don't think this movie is overrated or underrated.

A large group of people feel a certain way, either loving and praising the movie or disliking and criticizing the movie. That's all there is.

One site loves it, one site hates it. One fan loves it, the other, hates it. This person said that, this person said this. This person reviewed it that way, this person reviewed it this way. This person said "meh", this person thinks it's alright. One says flawed, the other indifferent. There's also the folks that don't give a damn, where the movie is old news and they have better things to do. There's also people that haven't seen it, or don't care about Batman. Or who are sports enthusiasts, or have other hobbies, or don't like movies. etc. etc.

That's all there is.

Yeah, it's kind of beyond all of that. It's a bit reductive to try and classify the film's reception in such a narrow way.

Polarizing seems like maybe the best way to describe it, but I think even that misses all the shades of gray.

Overall though, I still firmly believe Nolan's trilogy will go down as a classic. Not too many true auteurs have made trilogies, never mind ones with such pop culture significance and social relevance.

That is only within the fanbase. To the critics and general public, there aren't a lot of polarizing opinions compared to the ones on the TDKR boards. TDKR is just as good as TDK or even better most of them.

I do not think it had as strong a reception critically or commercially as TDK considering it made less and did not have the Oscar season push TDK did (when TDK was snubbed, people were so outraged we got 10 nomination slots in 2009, everybody shrugged in 2012).

However, yes most people enjoyed the movie and many critics recognized it as a strong effort from a master craftsman and arguably the strongest blockbuster fare of 2012.

Fans did not because they obsess over minutia and are never happy. Hence this thread's existence. From a critical standpoint, it stands up much stronger than from a fan demanding comic book fidelity and good-as-TDK-or-bust quality. Ironic that the tables turned on this one.

Tree of Life > any Batman story ever

Bit apples to oranges there. I'll express my thoughts on Tree of Life in another roundabout way.

I loved the visuals of Tree Life. They were astonishing. I also think those may be the best performances of Pitt and Chstain's careers thus far. I also strongly agree with its thesis on existence and logic.

I hate, hate, hate the shallow, selfish, narcissistic theme of Melancholia. I think it is a very vain way of looking at the world.

With all that said, Melancholia is about 1000x better than Tree of Life.

In a weird way, I feel that says enough about the Malick film and its supposed narrative.

Tree of Life is AMAZING. It deserves every praise it got IMO.

Can't way the same for To The Wonder but that's a different topic altogether.

RE: TDKR - I feel like it also has the disadvantage of being the last in the trilogy if that makes sense. The flaws and faults of BB and TDK are more easily forgiven or discounted because there's the thought that they could fix it in the sequel. In a way, TDKR bears the burden of having to fix all the flaws people found in BB and TDK on top of it also having to be good on its own. When not all of those problems were answered, then of course, the dissatisfaction comes in.

RE: TDKR - I feel like it also has the disadvantage of being the last in the trilogy if that makes sense. The flaws and faults of BB and TDK are more easily forgiven or discounted because there's the thought that they could fix it in the sequel. In a way, TDKR bears the burden of having to fix all the flaws people found in BB and TDK on top of it also having to be good on its own. When not all of those problems were answered, then of course, the dissatisfaction comes in.

Can you elaborate on flaws of BB and TDK, that TDKR had to fix?

The typical complaints here and there made by some - Batsuit, fighting style, Batvoice, underdeveloped villains (in BB), poor writing of the female characters, lack of scenes showing Batman's detective skills, the Waynes not addressed in TDK, bad acting of the extras, Bruce's philantrophic side not shown, no Batcave/Wayne Manor in TDK, etc. Not all of these are necessarily issues but most were hoping that these would be addressed in TDKR.

Do you really think that TDKR is nearly flawless?

I don't think BB or TDK are flawless at all either, but that doesn't stop someone from giving it a high score because all CBMs will be flawed with just how they are CBMs period, but some things you'd have to look past for a movie about a superhero.

I just know it in my heart that revenge of the fallen is a masterpiece. Thankfully I have the GA to vindicate it. :o

:whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"