The Dark Knight Rises How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

I can only speak for myself when I say it wasn't just that Nolan didnt stick to source material, but the plot holes in the third movie made it almost unwatchable. Bane not using venom/PCP/HGH, Talia Al Ghul popping up out of nowhere after being "on the board" for several years, Batman being the WORST detective in doing almost zero background checks of house servants, his board members and friends.... The list goes on and it does force you to reevaluate the past work he put together in the trilogy. Heath Ledger diverted a lot of attention of the same issues in the 2nd movie but his superior portrayal of the Joker took a lot of focus away from the fact that Bale was being a pretty poor Batman and Bruce Wayne. I'm sorry, and I repeat this is only my opinion, but TDKR was so director message driven I was almost glad it was over because I was tired of things just not making any sense not to mention the weak tie ins to elements from the comics.
First of all you don't know what the definition of a plot hole is. Second of all if you understood that this is FILM NOT THE COMICS, then you would finally understand the definition of a plot hole. Seriously, think before you speak. Plot holes are only illogical things that don't fit within the universe that was set-up. This is not the comics, I repeat. Bane not having venom means this is the director's interpretation. These movies will never be exactly like the comics because it is a different medium that allows different interpretations.

Calm down... TDKR wasn't SM3

For me it was, especially with it's contrived plot points that take it back to film 1 and change things up.

Then again, Bernard's revelation about Norman is nowhere near as bad as Blake's revelation based on "I knew who you were based in your face and a feeling I had in my bones". He was also a better Butler in the end.

For me it was, especially with it's contrived plot points that take it back to film 1 and change things up.

Then again, Bernard's revelation about Norman is nowhere near as bad as Blake's revelation based on "I knew who you were based in your face and a feeling I had in my bones". He was also a better Butler in the end.

Yea but Harry took a F***ing grenade to the face.

I think the average SHH member would be a much better writer and director than Nolan. They know what´s logic and what´s not. Nolan doesn´t seem to know, according to them. He wrote something full of plot holes easily identifiable and made a kid suspecting Bruce is Batman, wich according SHH, it´s impossible. Members of this forum are by far more intelligent than Nolan.

Forget Nolan. Forget Snyder and Goyer. Just get someone from the internet forums to direct the next movie. I mean, they know so much about logic and flawless storytelling that i believe they would be able to make a perfect movie.

I think the average SHH member would be a much better writer and director than Nolan. They know what´s logic and what´s not. Nolan doesn´t seem to know, according to them. He wrote something full of plot holes easily identifiable and made a kid suspecting Bruce is Batman, wich according SHH, it´s impossible. Members of this forum are by far more intelligent than Nolan.

Forget Nolan. Forget Snyder and Goyer. Just get someone from the internet forums to direct the next movie. I mean, they know so much about logic and flawless storytelling that i believe they would be able to make a perfect movie.
:funny:

:applaud

Come on now joker, your not saying this film was SM3 bad? I thought you liked it?

No I'm saying the Bernard scene is not nearly as bad as the Blake feeling it in his bones scene.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying that about Blake? He said he felt the anger deep in his bones. Get the quote right people. It's also an emotional scene, id like to see these forumers write something emotional and then come back and criticize that scene.

Why do people keep saying that about Blake? He said he felt the anger deep in his bones. Get the quote right people. It's also an emotional scene, id like to see these forumers write something emotional and then come back and criticize that scene.

This is what pops in my head whenever someone says that:

[YT]XloQ7wgGfPU[/YT]

That scene is actually one of Jonah's favorites.

One of my favourite scenes is when John tells Bruce how he knew he was Batman. It’s like that scene in The Prestige where the little kid sees through Christian’s trick. Little kids, they don’t have any illusions, they just see the truth of the situation. I feel there’s a kind of spiritual connection between the two movies there.
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1609

What the hell does a writer like Jonah knows ? :funny:

Outside of the Will to Act , its probably the best scene in the whole trilogy.

He isn't some writing God, I'm sure even he would tell you that. I mean, the guy had more than a helping hand with Terminator Salvation and that was horrid.

He seems like a humble, really cool guy. I'm sure he'd be the first to say it's all a process and every idea that's translated to script isn't a perfect one and he has his share of duds in there.

It might be his favorite, but his stamp of approval doesn't make it "good". That's subjective. Let's not play the tired and cliched, "if you don't think it's good, write it yourself" card. There's a reason that scene is always brought up negatively, a lot of folks don't like it. You don't have to be a writer to know it doesn't feel right to you.

Last edited:
Online, some of the most virulent criticism of TDKR emerged in December 2012.

Not July 2012. December 2012.

So what does this tell us?

That these haters - "Christopher Nolan's reckoning", LOL - preemptively dissed it by refusing to see it in the theater and just waited for the home video release.

Which makes their stance kind of a fait accompli, doesn't it?

icon14.gif

He isn't some writing God, I'm sure even he would tell you that. I mean, the guy had more than a helping hand with Terminator Salvation and that was horrid.

He seems like a humble, really cool guy. I'm sure he'd be the first to say it's all a process and every idea that's translated to script isn't a perfect one and he has his share of duds in there.

It might be his favorite, but his stamp of approval doesn't make it "good". That's subjective. Let's not play the tired and cliched, "if you don't think it's good, write it yourself" card. There's a reason that scene is always brought up negatively, a lot of folks don't like it. You don't have to be a writer to know it doesn't feel right to you.
He was stymied while trying to "fix" Terminator Salvation. There's not much you can do when you're tasked with beefing up a part that should have been made smaller instead. :oldrazz:

Also yeah, just because it's his favorite doesn't mean other people have to like it too. I mean, he helped write it from scratch so he shouldn't hate it, but sometimes you have emotional reactions to things that other people don't have. -shrug-

The only cliche is writing that i said he was some God , or hyperbolizing to dismiss an opinion. I didn't said that , nor did i said his seal of approval makes it good , bad , excellent , whatever.

But i value his opinion much more than some random dude. Maybe you don't. You have every right. In my opinion he is a good writer , and him being one of the architectures of this movies, only makes his opinion much more valid to me , whether i agree or not. In this case i simply do.

Exactly :up:

It's like directors who also dislike their own movies. Should we all think they're right just because they don't care for a movie they did?

Jonah Nolan's opinion has no more weight than anyone else's. If anything you could accuse him of bias because he helped write it.

Jonah Nolan's opinion has no more weight than anyone else's

Of course not. It actually has less weight. Next time he writes a movie he should consult you first in order to avoid any further mistakes.

I confess i´d love to see your cut of the movie "The Joker from SHH´s Cut. Limited Edition"

I´d pay for that.

Of course not. It actually has less weight. Next time he writes a movie he should consult you first in order to avoid any further mistakes.

I know this is just butt hurt sarcasm, but he actually should have consulted someone, and avoided one of the most criticized things in the trilogy next to the Bane and Batman voices :o

I know this is just butt hurt sarcasm, but he actually should have consulted someone, and avoided one of the most criticized things in the trilogy next to the Bane and Batman voices

Yes. If you didn´t exist, i could definitely understand the reason for so many plot holes. But you exist. You´re here. Why didn´t he just call you and said: "Hey Joker, how do i write this ****? Me and my brother are too dumb to write this **** by ourselves". He should have been more humble.

Yes. If you didn´t exist, i could definitely understand the reason for so many plot holes. But you exist. You´re here.

I'm humbled you think my existence has such an impact on the minds of everyone else. It's true, I brain washed everyone into seeing all these plot holes.

It's all part of a diabolical plan to annoy you. So far so good :woot:

Exactly :up:

It's like directors who also dislike their own movies. Should we all think they're right just because they don't care for a movie they did?

Jonah Nolan's opinion has no more weight than anyone else's. If anything you could accuse him of bias because he helped write it.

I wasn't a fan of Blake's "deduction" either. I wouldn't have minded if they had used it in addition to multiple other things. He had a hunch as a kid, as he got older he did some digging, maybe found Mr. Reese.

Or even simpler, he realized "hmm, who would have enough money to fund a personal war on crime and buy a car that's essentially a tank?"

The other thing that bugged me a lot was the fact that the little kid Talia was able to make the jump...because she was scared. I understand it was a visual metaphor and all that, but I'm sorry, if full grown men can't make that jump, there's no way in hell a little kid who's grown up in a pit her whole life is going to be able to, no matter how scared she was. If I sneak up behind my ten year old brother and scare the crap out of him he's not going to suddenly turn into a world-class long jumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"