The Dark Knight Rises How long before the fan community turns on the Nolan films?

Same thing happened with Raimi's Spider-Man.

The difference is that Nolan's third movie is actually good. A Spider-Man 3 level of director and franchise backlash has and only will happen in a very limited fashion for Nolan's Batman.

The difference is that Nolan's third movie is actually good. A Spider-Man 3 level of director and franchise backlash has and only will happen in a very limited fashion for Nolan's Batman.
Exactly.

Although there might be a few very vocal people here and in real life that voice their hatred for the film they are actual in quite a small minority. Look at the reviews, general audience and fanbase (obviously other than the black pit that is IMDB) for this film and you will notice that its rated just as good if not better than the other two.

I disagree.Apart from the bat-boards most people are viewing the film as average.I personally don't think it (or SM3,to be honest) deserves the bashing,but it is happening.I imagine it will only get more vocal with the future bat-films.

Good time to bring back this thread.

After all, read this one: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=400837

By the time we get a reboot in three to five years, fans will positively loath this trilogy and insist they always did. :oldrazz:

It is the fan community's circle of life. Be ready.

This is especially true in internet age. I can never forget i saw Spidey 3 with a group of friends , two of them very vocal fans of the character and Raimi's approach. When the movie ended they loved it. After a few days talking about it on the internet , they started to despise the movie. I was always baffled by that sort of reaction (i also want to say i always liked spidey 3. Very flawed but very funny. The rotten egg was the first one) bad place , even this year i saw so many people enthusiastically talking about Prometheus after they saw it , and a few days later ....bam. The same sort of reaction. Using the exact same arguments some people thought about it (regarding behavior of characters , etc).

There's always been this type of sheep behaviour. Following something they dont even know why. People grab little things they read about a movie and repeat it Ad nauseam. I always say how i find funny people talking about exposition in Inception , because you can see clearly how a lot of people who bring that up dont even know what the bad place they're talking about. But they read it somewhere....

So maybe in the future the same will happen to Nolan films. That's why people shouldn't get upset over what anyone thinks about a movie. I love them , and that's all that matters.

I disagree.Apart from the bat-boards most people are viewing the film as average.I personally don't think it (or SM3,to be honest) deserves the bashing,but it is happening.I imagine it will only get more vocal with the future bat-films.

Outside of the remote possibility you have some type of technology , like the bat-sonar in TDK :-)woot:) , that allows you to hear what everyone says...i think that type of generalization isn't grounded in anything.

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are just sick of hearing about Nolan's batman films everytime another superhero is brought up or even another movie completely (i.e. skyfall, with Mendes drawing inspiration).

At the end of the day though, these films have been very influential on other films and for the better. Regardess if you like this series or not, at least it has had a positive impact on superhero films.

If you look at the criticism from sites such as RT or Metacritic, or look at individual bloggers, or even talk to most fans on here, you'd find that there is a huge difference from TDKR and S-M 3. TDKR is at least polarizing where there is a very small minority that actually likes S-M 3.

I think it has more to do with the fact that people are just sick of hearing about Nolan's batman films everytime another superhero is brought up or even another movie completely (i.e. skyfall, with Mendes drawing inspiration).

At the end of the day though, these films have been very influential on other films and for the better. Regardess if you like this series or not, at least it has had a positive impact on superhero films.

Fans hate the truth that The Dark Knight Trilogy indeed inspired other films/directors.

It's because SM2 is overrated as bad place. Out of all the Raimi movies, the first is the only one that is good.

SM2 was overrated once. But now fans paint the whole trilogy in the same brush as SM3, so I would argue different. When people say something as terribly written, paced and directed as TASM is better than SM2, it's no long overrated.

Just my opinion, of course.

My prediction is that people will bash the Batman that's featured in Justice League. Even if it's better than Avengers, i can see fans bashing the bad place out of Batman and how it's a joke compared to Nolans version.

I then give it 1 or 2 movies on its own and most fans on this board will be bashing Nolans trilogy and loving the reboot. Loving the tone, thinking it's closer to the comics, loving the suit, the voice a little more, the look of Gotham City. Blah blah blah. It's going to happen i just know it. Somewhere between 2016 and 2019 these boards will be filled with Dark Knight Trilogy haters. When it gets to the point when they need to re-cast Batman next decade and/or a new director once again? People will start hating on it and longing for a return to the Nolan style.

It's a cycle.

My guess is that the fan community will never be completely happy. The chances are far greater that the hardcore fans will really dig the new look and stylized feel of the reboot, with all the nods to the source material, but the story won't be on par with the Nolan films, specifically TDK, and you'll get a bunch of people complaining saying "Why couldn't the story be as good as The Dark Knight trilogy? If I wanted this kind of Batman, I'd just play the Arkham games..."

My guess is that the fan community will never be completely happy. The chances are far greater that the hardcore fans will really dig the new look and stylized feel of the reboot, with all the nods to the source material, but the story won't be on par with the Nolan films, specifically TDK, and you'll get a bunch of people complaining saying "Why couldn't the story be as good as The Dark Knight trilogy? If I wanted this kind of Batman, I'd just play the Arkham games..."
Sounds pretty accurate. The performances from the actors might not be on par with the trilogy or the stories but i'm sure the look & tone & nods to the source material will get everybody excited. The bashing will happen no doubt about it.

I personally don't think that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight will ever be superseded by any other movie in the superhero genre. It's gonna take an amazing movie to shake me of that belief. I don't like TDKR, and the eight year absence in a way trivializes that epic TDK ending, but I still think it's the best trilogy in the genre based off the strength of the first two movies. I didn't like TDKR from the moment I saw it in theaters, so I wasn't effected by critics reviews or even the viewers on here. I just don't think it's that good of a movie

Sounds pretty accurate. The performances from the actors might not be on par with the trilogy or the stories but i'm sure the look & tone & nods to the source material will get everybody excited. The bashing will happen no doubt about it.

I agree, but I still think in the grand scheme of comic book movies Nolan's films were very faithful to the comics and had a ton of references. Between the long halloween, year one, no mans land, Knightfall, it was all there. Sure there were changes, but what film hasn't made any (yes even the marvel films have). I have the art of the trilogy book and at the back they have the picture with all the villains. To me they look very much like the comics.

I agree, but I still think in the grand scheme of comic book movies Nolan's films were very faithful to the comics and had a ton of references. Between the long halloween, year one, no mans land, Knightfall, it was all there. Sure there were changes, but what film hasn't made any (yes even the marvel films have). I have the art of the trilogy book and at the back they have the picture with all the villains. To me they look very much like the comics.
I agree man. But a lot of others don't. I prefer it when a writer/director takes bits or chunks from the source material but not all of it. Then messes with it a bit for a new version. That's my number one preference but im open to other ways too.

But it's like Gill says. People are never happy. And there's a lot of purists around. Even though Nolans movies are so far the most faithful in terms of characterization, i understand the desire for Burtons visuals again. Or Arkham City. It's a cool look and it fits the Batman. Also there's always time to make the future bat-flicks even closer to the source material. And it will make a lot of people happy, hence my prediction of TDK-Trilogy hating in about 4 years from now.

I can see those same people complaining about the unoriginal scripts though lol. It's bound to happen. Especially if they cast an average actor in the lead....even the great visuals won't help them in that case.

Nolans movies avoided the silver-age like the plague. It referenced 80s and 90s graphic novels in a large way. My guess is the reboot will win over the Arkham video game crowd or the Animated Series crowd. Maybe a new twist on the silver-age or golden-age of Batman. I dont know..but i guess it comes down to different fans of different eras of the Batman.

You will never win over the entire fanbase of Batman. It's impossible i think.

You will never win over the entire fanbase of Batman. It's impossible i think.

Thats for sure, but thats the great thing with this character, there are so many takes which keep him viable. This just happened to be one version of the character. I still enjoy the 60s tv series, when your a kid you don't realize how silly it is, but that series is partially why batman is so iconic, along with his villains, today.

I love how there are so many different takes on Batman and all the other characters across different media. A light-hearted, comedic romp? Check. Silly and entertaining toy-tastic fun? Check. Mobster drama? Check. Detective story? Check. War stories? Check. And so much more. So much variety.

Totally agree guys, you can never make the entire fanbase happy but Batman being so versatile a character is why he's the most popular comic book hero today.

I don't exactly see where this "Raimi backlash" is coming from, but it seems to me like there are at least as many fans rallying against the new incarnation.

Very few have called the film "The best of the 4" or "The REAL Spider-man"; Most seem to be ranging b/w "Better than SM3 but below the first two" at best to "Worse than SM3 and totally unnecessary" at worst.

Back to Bats, I personally feel that there will be a much stronger FRONT-lash & backlash against the new incarnation than backlash against Nolan's.

I don't exactly see where this "Raimi backlash" is coming from, but it seems to me like there are at least as many fans rallying against the new incarnation.

Very few have called the film "The best of the 4" or "The REAL Spider-man"; Most seem to be ranging b/w "Better than SM3 but below the first two" at best to "Worse than SM3 and totally unnecessary" at worst.

Back to Bats, I personally feel that there will be a much stronger FRONT-lash & backlash against the new incarnation than backlash against Nolan's.
That isn't what I've been seeing.It seems like overnight all three films suddenly became cornball,Toby can't act,the SFX are pre-historic,etc.

For mainstream audiences, there is a general sense of apathy for a bland Spidey film. But if you go to fan communities (like on this site), it is like a feeding frenzy of hate for the Raimi films.

As for Batman, I would not mind the Arkham visual style being embraced to a degree (though I hope no actress has to wear those outfits designed in those games!), but I honestly think Nolan took who I always thought were the five best Bat-villains (Joker, Ra's, Two-Face, Catwoman and Bane in that order) and crafted a great trilogy around them that both was heavily influenced by iconic Batman stories (Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc) and equally took influences from our culture and society during the turbulent years the films were produced in.

I like that approach a lot. The only major villain I felt like they missed was Harley Quinn. So, if the new trilogy is forced to do what Webb did at least with the origin, which is arbitrarily the opposite of what came before, while the tone may be great, narratively there will be problems.

Spider-Man 3 wasn't even bad, it was just a big disapointment, and The Dark Knight Rises reaction among fans is very divided, it's inevitable that people will turn against nolan's film to make way for the new

For mainstream audiences, there is a general sense of apathy for a bland Spidey film. But if you go to fan communities (like on this site), it is like a feeding frenzy of hate for the Raimi films.

As for Batman, I would not mind the Arkham visual style being embraced to a degree (though I hope no actress has to wear those outfits designed in those games!), but I honestly think Nolan took who I always thought were the five best Bat-villains (Joker, Ra's, Two-Face, Catwoman and Bane in that order) and crafted a great trilogy around them that both was heavily influenced by iconic Batman stories (Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Knightfall, No Man's Land, etc) and equally took influences from our culture and society during the turbulent years the films were produced in.

I like that approach a lot. The only major villain I felt like they missed was Harley Quinn. So, if the new trilogy is forced to do what Webb did at least with the origin, which is arbitrarily the opposite of what came before, while the tone may be great, narratively there will be problems.

I agree. Nolan definitely used most of the "essential" villains. Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman and Bane all received their second cinematic incarnation. It's going to get harder and harder to deliver something sufficiently different and to the fans' liking the more reboots there are. All of those had a minimum of 15 years between versions (as long as we're not counting Halle Berry's Catwoman), which helped. Even still, a lot of people weren't excited about seeing Catwoman again because they felt she was done justice in BR. Hathaway's version still managed to impress most people, but it does get trickier each time you have to reinvent it.

I think the reboot would definitely be wise to focus strictly on villains Nolan didn't use first. One thing I'm liking so far with the ASM series is that the main villains for films 1 and 2 haven't been done yet.

I think that normal people enjoyed TDKR's but I don't see any proof that they thought it was as good as TDK. The movie is out and I don't see this huge backlash because the movie wasn't terrible. I thought that the movie was cute and fun but nothing special.

Cute and fun? lol then what the heck do ya call Marvels movies? Or past batmans? yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"