HOw much danger was New York Actually in during Spidey 2

It acted like a sun, so while maybe not half of NY would have been sucked in (may have been a bit small for that), but it still would have cause significant damage.

Pete said alot of things in that film...

perhaps it was a hyperbole in order to get harry to snap out of his rage and give him the information, even though he had no idea....

After Ock's first demonstration went haywire, one of the Board member guys said something like "With a mere drop of tritium he could have destroyed the city".

When Ock went to Harry and demanded more tritium, Harry said "More tritium, are you crazy? You'll destroy the city".

All three of them exaggerating?

Nah!

After Ock's first demonstration went haywire, one of the Board member guys said something like "With a mere drop of tritium he could have destroyed the city".

When Ock went to Harry and demanded more tritium, Harry said "More tritium, are you crazy? You'll destroy the city".

I think it was "If he had more then a drop of tritium, he could've destroyed the entire city," Not 100% sure. But yeah, NYC was in danger.

Since cars and stuff started to be sucked towards it from the get-go, I'm guessing that by the time it did eventually go under by itself, alot of damage would have been done to New York.

See, that's the thing that bugged me. They randomly show these taxis and things getting sucked towards it, but all sorts of things inside the building, and even outside around them don't.

It was a nice try and showing the severity, but it wasn't planned out very well.

But for the sake of the movie, I think it would have destroyed the city were it to go unchecked. When they said it was 'self-sustaining', I assume that means independent of those 4 devices that kept it in place, so those prolly were a couple steps away from being consumed (I'm assuming they're also impervious to magnetism like the arms, they'd have to be).

Actually, that's another thing.
That arms are "impervious to heat and magnetism".
How much heat do you think we're talking here? Ock gets blown up, the arms remain?

yea i got that, but i just watched it again, and i thought it was weird that pete already had the web spun out for mj and was crawling to her by the time that thing had just went down under
Actually, when I saw that I thought about how fast it was... but I remembered the traditional-looking web he made to try and hold back the Green Goblin in their last battle (which he rips down just as quickly). It was pretty fast.

I think it was "If he had more then a drop of tritium, he could've destroyed the entire city," Not 100% sure. But yeah, NYC was in danger.

Yeah, I just re-watched it. You're right, he said a drop of tritium. And Ock had much more than a drop of it:

152.jpg

See, that's the thing that bugged me. They randomly show these taxis and things getting sucked towards it, but all sorts of things inside the building, and even outside around them don't.

What are you talking about? We see loads of pieces of the inside the building being sucked in. How did you miss that?

Even MJ nearly gets flattened by a collapsing wall because of it.

Actually, that's another thing.
That arms are "impervious to heat and magnetism".
How much heat do you think we're talking here? Ock gets blown up, the arms remain?

Why would Ock get blown up? He was in the water with it. That was the whole point. Water drowns the fusion ball.

Actually, when I saw that I thought about how fast it was... but I remembered the traditional-looking web he made to try and hold back the Green Goblin in their last battle (which he rips down just as quickly). It was pretty fast.

Good point.

Forgot about that scene.

If you think the size of the tritium is impressive... take a look at the machine near the end of the movie compared to the size of the one in the first experiment.

Like, I saw it be bigger the first time I saw the movie, but just how much more massive it was didn't register until the last time I watched SM2 a few months ago.

The way I see it is that if the device continued to absorb matter, it's mass would've only increased. The taxis and signs we saw being dragged in by the sun's pull would've been in mid-air by the time the building collapsed, and would've made contact as soon as the building caved in on itself, thus feeding the sun more energy. Thereby, even if the sun had made contact with the water, the inevitable increase in items and objects that it was absorbing, would've caused it to grow, and grow, and grow, until it grew so hot that it vaporized the water it came into contact with, only minutely affecting it's total mass.

The way I see it is that if the device continued to absorb matter, it's mass would've only increased. The taxis and signs we saw being dragged in by the sun's pull would've been in mid-air by the time the building collapsed, and would've made contact as soon as the building caved in on itself, thus feeding the sun more energy. Thereby, even if the sun had made contact with the water, the inevitable increase in items and objects that it was absorbing, would've caused it to grow, and grow, and grow, until it grew so hot that it vaporized the water it came into contact with, only minutely affecting it's total mass.

I agree with this and everything Joker has said. And I would assume that Otto made the support beams for the experiment, out of metal that would be unaffected by magnetism, like the tentacles.

All three of them exaggerating?

Nah!

Well sure, a larger amount of tritium used would have been more disastrous in theory but the first experiment wasn't set up over a river that coudl have easily drown if it started reaching a truelly dangerous size.

it was only a maximum of a few meters away from drowning itself.

Well sure, a larger amount of tritium used would have been more disastrous in theory but the first experiment wasn't set up over a river that coudl have easily drown if it started reaching a truelly dangerous size.

it was only a maximum of a few meters away from drowning itself.

Once the fusion ball gained enough power it wouldn't be effected by the structure holding it and it would just float and grow. When it keeps growing it would be hot enough to evaporate the water it comes in contact with, and even if it didn't, it would cause a lot of destruction and kill a lot of people before it would drown. Also, there was water beneath the reactors in the first experiment.

Yes, no one is arguing that Ock had more destructive potential in his hands in the 2nd experiment, just that its location made it less of a risk.

Personally, I think this was intentional. Dock Ock was still arrogant as hell about his invention, but he had the bit of humily to pick a place above a lot of water in case it went wrong again. I don't think he wanted to destroy the city, he wanted to fulfill he and his wife's dream. I don't think it was a coincidence that out of all the places he chose to make the experiment, it was a boathouse that he settled on.

Also, there was water beneath the reactors in the first experiment.
I never really noticed it if there was, I guess maybe a small amount, but we're talking about the top of a building here, versus an entire ocean off of New York, there' definately more 'anti-fuel' to smother a larger ball with.

Yes, no one is arguing that Ock had more destructive potential in his hands in the 2nd experiment, just that its location made it less of a risk.

But still a deadly risk with the potential for major destruction and kill many people. As was seen within the first 30 seconds of it going haywire when cars and cabs started to be sucked towards it.

Personally, I think this was intentional. Dock Ock was still arrogant as hell about his invention, but he had the bit of humily to pick a place above a lot of water in case it went wrong again. I don't think he wanted to destroy the city, he wanted to fulfill he and his wife's dream. I don't think it was a coincidence that out of all the places he chose to make the experiment, it was a boathouse that he settled on.

I don't think it was intentional. He went to that warehouse on the docks before he even decided to rebuild his experiment. Of course his intention was not mass destruction. He wanted to make his dream succeed. And he was willing to do anything to make it happen.

Once the fusion ball gained enough power it wouldn't be effected by the structure holding it and it would just float and grow. When it keeps growing it would be hot enough to evaporate the water it comes in contact with, and even if it didn't, it would cause a lot of destruction and kill a lot of people before it would drown. Also, there was water beneath the reactors in the first experiment.
this is rubbish.

sorry, if a structure is hot enough to vapourise metal on contact with melting temperature of a couple thousand degrees, than it should have evaporated the water on already and the entire complex would have been full of steam.

the film shows us the object can't float, it sank and was drowned, that was advise given by an expert in that realm, the whole floating aspect doesn't work.

where was the water in the first experiment?

no need to sound bad but you can't take real world physics to describe a way a process would have occurred if the film openly contradicts real world physics.

ultimately it comes down to the evidence provided that the size of the entity was not big enough to cause any real city wide damage and it was not likely to grow to a size big enough to cause such damage because of its close proximity to water, limiting its potential growth.

was it there on purpose because ock never mentioned drowning it as his first idea, he thought it couldn't be stopped when spidey enquired at the end of the film.

was it there on purpose because ock never mentioned drowning it as his first idea, he thought it couldn't be stopped when spidey enquired at the end of the film.

I imagine it was there on purpose as scientists don't add such features to their experiments for no reason :cwink: The first fusion reactor had a little pool unit built into the bottom of it.

Ock never mentioned it as his first idea because the first idea would usually be to unplug it. Which Spidey had already done. But the fusion ball had become self sustaining by that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"