How much is too much Television?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Optimus_Prime_, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Optimus_Prime_ Registered

I'm not going to start off by assuming X amount of hours make you fat (although make the case if you like) but I am interested in what your take on the PSYCHOLOGICAL affects are in your opinion, and what counts as too much.

I think there is a point where people need to stop watching TV.

I don't believe in censorship, at all, but I believe the decision to watch is all yours. I watch very little TV. Mostly Patriots Football on Sundays and maybe Family Guy.

Since I limited my TV watching to a few hours a week I feel more sane, more happy, and I'm very repulsed by violence now. Certain movies are a turn off.

I do feel like TV can promote a lot of negative emotions, however certainly some clever channel surfing can keep you away from negative emotions.

However as I turn thirty I wondered if I had kids would I want them watching TV. No. I decided at least not for a while. Let them learn to be active mostly, then give freedom for more TV when older. My guess is though by that point real life will have made a case for itself over TV.

2. bullets bang bang

I really don't know. I spend all my time on the internet.

3. Optimus_Prime_ Registered

I'd have to make a special thread for us then, lol.

4. redmarvel Red, White and Buxom

If Television or the Internet is stopping you from talking to other people, finishing your household tasks or preventing you from getting 1 hour of exercise a day... then you're in front of the screen too much.

5. Figs Registered

Same here. I made the mistake of watching too much TV growing up and now my social skills are lacking because of that. Doesn't help that I'm naturally introverted as well.

I really think people should limit themselves to an hour(for a show they like), then get up to do something else. Doesn't have to only be an hour per day, but at least spread it out throughout the day and evening.

6. Piper Maru Guest

I mostly just watch nature shows, and of course, The Walking Dead. Other then that, meh.

7. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

As usual....she hits the nail on the head.

8. redmarvel Red, White and Buxom

And as usually when I see C. Lee talking about head and nail, I get a thrill ;)

9. NewYorkSpider EndGame

I watched a lot of TV as a kid and it ruined my social skills. I was always the shy one and didn't like to talk to people. Getting a job as a bag boy helped that though. I kinda wonder what I would be like if I hadn't watched so much telivison.