How Much Is Your Student Loan Debt?

Holiday

Superhero
Reaction score
I noticed in the Lotto thread a few folks saying they would pay theirs off and that got me curious. So what's your student loan debt and do you feel it is/was worth it?

$0. :up:

Paid off like 5-6 years after college.

$12,000 and no, because I dropped out.

Never go to those private colleges you see on TV commercials, kids.

$12,000 and no, because I dropped out.

Never go to those private colleges you see on TV commercials, kids.
That's how I got my debt, mine is about $11,000

I went to ITT for a semester but had to drop out when they wouldn't accommodate my work schedule. I was told there would be night classes but they changed the schedule second semester. So anyway my Montegomery G.I. bill from the Army never kicked in and I was forced to pay $7,000.00.

I didn't have the money at the time so they took it out of my tax refund( $2,000 the first time and so on) .Then I wound up owing the IRS. Now I'm down to $0.

100 K

Though, I am eligible to have some of that written off soon...Thank God!

$18k left to pay

I've been out of school for 2 years and I was in school for 7 years (damn Engineering, you hard).

$0 never had to pay it. But, I'll pay it forward. :woot:

About $13,000. I have more than half paid off, been out of school for over 4 years. Major was architecture.

Though, after I pay off my loan, I have to help my parents pay off theirs.

less than 4000 now, somewhere around 3500. i've got it set up to pay $50 the middle of every month

I owe the old man about $9,000...for now. That will increase.

More than anyone else in this thread so far. Ugh.

Last letter I had from the student loans company put it at aroun £20,000.

In England they automatically start taking a percentage of your wage if you're earning more than 15k a year... but I haven't earned that much yet (my local newspaper job paid me a pitiful 12k which I topped up a bit with bar work) so none of it's paid off, and interest keeps adding up.

Oh and I also have a 2 grand overdraft that's maxed out, and has been since the 3rd month at uni :(

By the time I graduate it'll probably be close to $13,000. Pell Grants carried my most of the way, but I had to dip into the student loan pool for some stuff.

Probably more than some in this thread, as I have graduate loans atop of the undergraduate. It was worth it.

14 large right now. Still trying to pay it down over time.

Not going to tell you guys, but let's just say now that I've seen everyone else's numbers, I don't feel so alone anymore. :)

I am 12K right now. By the time undergrad is done, it will be 19K more than likely. That is nothing, though. If I go to physical therapy school, it will be probably 150K in total. This is why I have a strong chance of joining the military. Help pay off my loans in exchange for 6 years of service plus benefits? I'll take it!

Looking in this thread makes me wonder how much less money i'd owe if I was American :(

I noticed in the Lotto thread a few folks saying they would pay theirs off and that got me curious. So what's your student loan debt and do you feel it is/was worth it?
Nothing, thankfully

Was it worth it? Kinda, I have a small degree
Was expelled from the bachelor degree over a year ago, under the required GPA

100 K

Though, I am eligible to have some of that written off soon...Thank God!
:eek:
OMG, my prayers go for you

More than anyone else in this thread so far. Ugh.
More than $100,000? Prayers for you as well

Looking in this thread makes me wonder how much less money i'd owe if I was American :(

It'd be even less if universities weren't nickel and diming students. If only we didn't have to do BS general education requirements and were just able to focus solely on classes geared toward our desired career. Aside from the social aspect, universities are a scam. It's just sad that it's almost absolutely necessary in order to get anywhere in white collar America. It's all a rat race.

It'd be even less if universities weren't nickel and diming students. If only we didn't have to do BS general education requirements and were just able to focus solely on classes geared toward our desired career. Aside from the social aspect, universities are a scam. It's just sad that it's almost absolutely necessary in order to get anywhere in white collar America. It's all a rat race.

The depressing thing is that there are so few jobs going in my industry (journalism) that will actually PAY you to work (it's hard enough winning a place doing it for free!) that actual job wise i'm applying all over the place - admin, call centres, customer service, receptionist etc etc... and I have not seen a SINGLE one that requires anything above GCSE's :(

I mean, I guess I could still be grateful I did the degree in the future if I get a job that someone without one couldn't have, but you can't help but feel like nobody actually gives a damn about something you wasted 3 years doing, and what they actually care about it experiance... which obviously you don't have much of because you started in the world of work a lot later than people who only have GCSE's (16) or A Levels (18).

The depressing thing is that there are so few jobs going in my industry (journalism) that will actually PAY you to work (it's hard enough winning a place doing it for free!) that actual job wise i'm applying all over the place - admin, call centres, customer service, receptionist etc etc... and I have not seen a SINGLE one that requires anything above GCSE's :(

I mean, I guess I could still be grateful I did the degree in the future if I get a job that someone without one couldn't have, but you can't help but feel like nobody actually gives a damn about something you wasted 3 years doing, and what they actually care about it experiance... which obviously you don't have much of because you started in the world of work a lot later than people who only have GCSE's (16) or A Levels (18).

If it's any consolation, having higher education is some type of security. In this country at least, some may not realize it initially, but when they are in their late-30s and beyond, they may become expendable. Six or seven years ago, my father used his GI bill to go back to school because his co-workers were getting laid off in favor of young, fresh graduates. Nowadays, he is now a supervisor with credentials and clearances that far exceed his position, but he at least has security and leverage to get other jobs if he wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"