How near do people you know live to you, and do you like it?

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Do your relatives, friends, acquaintances or work colleagues live near you?

And do you like them living nearby (eg in the same street, round the corner or the next street over) or do you prefer to have some distance between you?

On the one hand, it makes it easy to drop round and if someone is having a party, you don't have to travel far at all.

But on the other hand, if they live too near, it feels like you can't go out anywhere without running into them and feel you might always have to be well dressed or looking at your best. Sometimes it's good to have that breathing room and not have anyone near you.

I personally prefer people I know not to live too close at all. Not within at least half a mile. Definitely wouldn't like them living next door or in my street.

What about you?

Last edited:
My dad and brother both live about a half hour away. I'm fine with that. My in laws live 5 minutes away. It's good because her dad is a handyman. It's bad because he's a jackass. Our friends live all over the country, which sucks.

I wish I had friends who lived closer and would drop by unannounced, like Kramer, except more racist.

I'm quite a private person anyway; I don't see the need, nor have the desire to share my entire life with everyone I know. I'm actually probably more likely to talk about some stuff on here, than with people I see on a daily basis.

In any case, the majority of my immediate family are quite close (within five miles, give or take), the majority of my friends are also within the same radius, though I've a few others scattered around the county, and maybe one or two others abroad. Colleagues aren't friends; I see them at work, I'll stop and have a chat if I see them outside of work, and occasionally I'll do something with them (birthday/work event/pub crawl) but they're few and far between.

My neighbours aren't any of the above.

I'm quite extrovert :D and I love having some of my friends close but it doesn't mean that we get to see each other on a daily basis. But we do talk every day (with most of them, at least).

I still was living at home while in college so I don't really regret having everyone about 50 minutes away.

Really interesting debate question DR.

Family

I share a flat with my elder brother (not through choice for either of us, although its harmonious, it's a question of financial need or sharing cost).

My Mum and Dad moved south from the north of the country to be closer as they're health (and mine is fading), travelling 300+ miles each weekend to support them was getting very tough.

We are now geographically closer and it's easier to support them, they both have pretty extreme health needs and as I say, mine hasn't / isn't great.

Friends

My long term (life time) friends, bar a few, are all miles away in terms of being able to see them on a regular or weekly basis.

Circle of friends I keep company with and see, again nobody directly local to me.

Local friends are car-able from where I live but I don't have any friends that I can just 'call up' and say 'fancy a pint at last orders'.

Perspective

I am very able in my own company, I've had to be in my life and these last 4-5 years, with having to withdraw from my friends to get the space required to assess my life and space to get well, a lot of long term, life long friends have 'backed away' and we have to some degree, disconnected. Also, I have friends in different countries, so I rarely get to see them. As far as work colleagues, as I work from home, I don't have any, but back when I did 9-5 office, I have friends from those era's.

Last edited:
I share a property with my youngest Brother,his Wife and my Niece and Nephew,my Sister and her family live about 10 mins away as does my Mother and other Sister.

One other Sister left for Italy on a 3 mth holiday but she lived with Mother and Sister.

It's good to be close to family for me cause we are a very close family.

One friend and I used to live a lot closer but he had to move and is now about 25 mins drive away.

Work wise I have no one near me at all.

Wish my friend was closer but it's a 1st world problem really given I can quite easily drive there to see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"