Days of Future Past How should they handle Wolverine in this movie? (if he had to be in it..)

3:Transporting the biggest star of series and most popular X-Man to past makes
sense In Fox's answer to the Avengers.It allows crossover between casts of
Trilogy and First Class.

Adding characters to First Class world Isn't their priority In this film.
You have 8 characters from trilgoy vs 4 from first Class.Plus you added 4 to
OT characters.This Is more X4 than First Class 2.

Wolverine was seen in first class already. so technically we had that crossover, it could be wolverine that timetravels but it doesnt have to be wolverine, takin him out of the future stuff probably wouldnt be well fittin.

And i think this film will be split, singer has already said he doesnt see this as a sequel but its own thing

If wolverine stays In future some will complain him overshadowing Storm In future.

Hugh Jackman defently Isn't just doing a cameo In this film.He may even receive top billing.

Maybe Blink transports herself,Kitty,and maybe Xavier to past.James Mcavoy's comment that he may share screen with Patrick Stewart hints at Xavier going to past.

I firmly expect wolverine,Xavier,and Magneto to be characters from OT with largest roles with possibly decent role of Kitty If mark Millar's fans won't be disappointed with Kitty's role comments pan out.

1: Omar Sy starts another film In late may.Bishop will only be In future scenes
most likely with that schedule

3:Transporting the biggest star of series and most popular X-Man to past makes
sense In Fox's answer to the Avengers.It allows crossover between casts of
Trilogy and First Class.

Adding characters to First Class world Isn't their priority In this film.
You have 8 characters from trilgoy vs 4 from first Class.Plus you added 4 to
OT characters.This Is more X4 than First Class 2.

1. This film is shooting all the way until October, we don't how long the current cast members are going to be shooting the future scenes nor do we know when the First Class actors are arriving on set, not to mention that Sy's film isn't locked in as starting in May for sure. He could most certainly shoot future scenes, go off do filming for another movie then come back and continue shooting when the First Class actors arrive. It's not unheard of for actors to shoot multiple films at once.

3. Transporting the big characters back in time doesn't really help the future storyline either because there really wouldn't be any point to having scenes in the future if the majority of the characters go back to the 70's. That's why is really doesn't make sense to have Magneto, Xavier, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, or Colossus go back in time. Not to mention, transporting them back to the 70's would almost certainly overshadow McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Hoult, which most certainly won't happen.

3. Saying this is more of an X4 than First Class sequel is inaccurate since we've been told repeatedly the majority of the movie takes place in 1973 which cuts to the future.

What I'm getting at is that if we are to believe Singer when he says that EVERY character has a point and is needed in the story and plot, knowing Bishop is in this most certainly makes him the biggest candidate for being one of the time travelers. With his connection to time travel in the comics and television series, it really makes logical sense and there really wouldn't be any point in just making him a character in the future storyline. If you add in Blink to that, where they can most certainly tweak her powers a bit and make her portals time jumping the pieces just fall into place.

That way, you keep the the original cast in the future where the story can solely focus on that team and then you have the First Class actors where they story can slowly focus on them with out either team being overshadowed by one or the either and each characters plays their part.

Of course, this is just my speculation on things. :yay:

Last edited:
1. This film is shooting all the way until October, we don't how long the current cast members are going to be shooting the future scenes nor do we know when the First Class actors are arriving on set, not to mention that Sy's film isn't locked in as starting in May for sure. He could most certainly shoot future scenes, go off do filming for another movie then come back and continue shooting when First Class actors arrive. It's not unheard of for actors to shoot to films at once.

3. Transporting the big characters back in time doesn't really help the future storyline either because there really wouldn't be any point to having scenes in the future if the majority of the characters go back to the 70's which is why is really doesn't make sense to have Magneto, Xavier, Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, or Colossus go back in time. Not to mention, transporting them back to the 70's would almost certainly overshadow McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Hoult, which most certainly won't happen.

3. Saying this is more of an X4 than First Class sequel is inaccurate since we've been told repeatedly the majority of the movie takes place in 1973 which cuts to the future.

What I'm getting at is that if we are to believe Singer when he says that EVERY character has a point and is needed in the story and plot, knowing Bishop is in this most certainly makes in the biggest candidate for being one of the time travelers. With his connection to time travel in the comics and television series, it really makes logical sense and there really would be any point in just making him a character in the future storyline. If you add in Blink to that, where they can most certainly tweak her powers a bit and make her portals time jumping the pieces just fall into place.

That way, you keep the the original cast in the future where the story can solely focus on that team and then you have the First Class actors where they story can slowly focus on them with out either team being overshadowed by one or the either and each characters plays their part.

Of course, this is just my speculation on things. :yay:

1:Time Traveler Is likely to have large role In 1973 role.So Omar Sy will likely be working on another film from Late may to late july/August and then come back for large role.Not very likely

2:The Idea of Bishop and Blink getting larger roles than OT cast Isn't very likely.To be X_Men's answer to avengers suggests there will be crossover between casts

3:you have 8 cast members from OT and only 4 from First Class.That Immedetly raises a more X4 feeling.Plus you have Bishop,Blink,Warpath,and possibly Suspot In future.

4:Filmmakers lie about films
Iron Man 3-Mark Ruffalo was said not to appear In Iron Man 3.He Is in post Credit scene.Star Trek:Into Darkness-Khan Isn't villain only he Is.Alice Eve Isn't cannon character.She Is as Carol marcus.Leonard Nimoy doesn't return yet he does make a cameo Man of steel-Zach Snyder lied to people and said Zod wasn't villain

i think what made wolverine successful to these films was that not only was he the most developed but also the most mysterious and i think that really helped his character and the last time wolverine was really important to an Xmen film was X2 and thats because it was about him and this mystery of his character, by X3 there was nothing there for him and he was forced into the role of lead

then Origins pretty much explained everything about him and the wolverine is the next step in trying in trying to find something to explore for his character

im not sure he is quite the character is audiences eyes he used too be

but i think to give him top billing wouldn't help singer or Fox at all in what they are trying to do, if they keep throwing wolverine in every Xmen related film and giving him top billing it will mean if FOX ever wanted to created some spinoffs no one would give it a chance because wolverine isn't in it and they are almost so used to seeing wolverine in these films, i know many think we will get X4,5 and 6 and then a reboot but i honestly think fox want to do more with this current franchise, i'm betting a 3rd solo wolverine movie, possibly another 1st class and other possible mutant spin offs

4:Filmmakers lie about films
Iron Man 3-Mark Ruffalo was said not to appear In Iron Man 3.He Is in post Credit scene.Star Trek:Into Darkness-Khan Isn't villain only he Is.Alice Eve Isn't cannon character.She Is as Carol marcus.Leonard Nimoy doesn't return yet he does make a cameo Man of steel-Zach Snyder lied to people and said Zod wasn't villain

yeah they are spoilers, what singer said about not being a sequel more its own thing isn't a spoiler and he has no reason to lie about that

if singer said cyclops aint in it and then he turns up at end in a cameo it wouldn't be the same thing, that would be more not to spoil a surprise

I was more responding to those who Insist this Is more of first class sequel yet they dropped most of first Class and most of new actors cast are In future scenes.

back In 2003 Bryan and fox had promo pics of Jean In white house to mislead people Into thinking Jean would survive.

Wolverine may be part of crossover with the 4 remaining first Class actors or he may remain In future scenes.

Two main points...

First, Wolverine is the most popular character in the X-men movies. Definitely my favorite. So those suggesting he will have large roles in both the future and past are likely right.

But, we all know that Wolverine is already in both timelines, alive, meaning why send him back if he's already there?

Second, a lot of it depends on how they do this movie. If it is per the comic then no one will be traveling back in time physically, only mentally. It could be Kate/Kitty, or it could be Prof. X (which would match the "sharing screen time" comment).

If they go the non-physical time travel route then Bishop and Blink will not be main characters since they will be more so AOA related.

In many ways, this makes more sense. Since the AOA storyline is about someone traveling back and changing the past so others need to travel back and fix it, would you really want to do that twice? I think Singer might want to keep DOFP different enough from AOA.

So, DOFP would be someone contacting the past mentally to try to stop something and then AOA would be someone (I.E. Fitzroy or Legion) going back and changing the past which creates the AOA...

wolverine would be better suited to the future where the danger is, being in the 70s restricts him more i think

Maybe the future version is fried by a Sentinel and the time travellers have to find the 70s version to help them on their mission. By 1973, America ended its involvement with Vietnam so Wolverine would be back home (although Origins appeared to show Stryker recruiting Wolverine and Sabretooth directly from Vietnam).

The past version of Wolverine is a bit of a plothole potentially.

Second, a lot of it depends on how they do this movie. If it is per the comic then no one will be traveling back in time physically, only mentally. It could be Kate/Kitty

No, it won't. She has no body in 1973 to mentally travel to.

i think what made wolverine successful to these films was that not only was he the most developed but also the most mysterious and i think that really helped his character and the last time wolverine was really important to an Xmen film was X2 and thats because it was about him and this mystery of his character, by X3 there was nothing there for him and he was forced into the role of lead

then Origins pretty much explained everything about him and the wolverine is the next step in trying in trying to find something to explore for his character

im not sure he is quite the character is audiences eyes he used too be

but i think to give him top billing wouldn't help singer or Fox at all in what they are trying to do, if they keep throwing wolverine in every Xmen related film and giving him top billing it will mean if FOX ever wanted to created some spinoffs no one would give it a chance because wolverine isn't in it and they are almost so used to seeing wolverine in these films, i know many think we will get X4,5 and 6 and then a reboot but i honestly think fox want to do more with this current franchise, i'm betting a 3rd solo wolverine movie, possibly another 1st class and other possible mutant spin
Wolverine was the most successful character in the franchise simply because he's Wolverine. Even before the movies, he was the most popular X-Man. Heh, I remember when I was young and I would call him X-Man because I didn't know his actual name. He is the face of the team.

I think that if physical time travel happens, it makes more sense for time traveller(s) to be the younger cast members like Kitty. One, they IMO would work much better with the younger Professor X and Beast than the grumpy uncle Wolverine, and if the team needs to go against Magneto Wolverine would not be much use against him. Two, I don't think that time traveller automatically means a large role in the past - their main function could be just to warn the past mutants about the future and then help them to prevent it. Three, taking characters like Wolverine out of the future scenes and battles would IMO kinda lessen that timeline and its poignancy in a way. There was a good reason why, in the original story, there was just one time traveller rather than a whole bunch of X-Men travelling into the past - yes the mind-travel was also a reason but the time travel device was totally up to the writer, he easily could have come up with something else.

And I've said this before, but I think it's not a matter of how many actors from each series there are but more about who will actually be the focus of the story. I'm sure that DoFP will tell the stories of a few characters, but if at the heart of it it is mainly about Professor X and Magneto, I'd consider it more of a sequel to First Class because that's what was at the heart of that film. Whereas, while the characters and their relationship was very important in the OT (mostly the first film), they were not really the main focus.

Last edited:
No, it won't. She has no body in 1973 to mentally travel to.

You're right, the Kate/Kitty thing doesn't really work for 1973...

If it is to go the route of the comic then it is likely to be Prefessor X, since he has the mental powers. But since he's "dead" it will have to be the twin brother with Prof. X's memories/powers. I just hate that whole concept...

WHo else could or would make sense to send their "mind" back in time, or be able to contact the past?

Forge maybe, using technology?

Does anyone else make sense? Wolverine or Storm, no. Colossus, Rogue or Bobby, no. Magneto, not really...

I think it's safe to say that if it is the contacting the past storyline, meaning no physical time travel, then it will be either Prof. X (in his twin's body) or a new character...

You're right, the Kate/Kitty thing doesn't really work for 1973...

If it is to go the route of the comic then it is likely to be Prefessor X, since he has the mental powers. But since he's "dead" it will have to be the twin brother with Prof. X's memories/powers. I just hate that whole concept...

WHo else could or would make sense to send their "mind" back in time, or be able to contact the past?

Forge maybe, using technology?

Does anyone else make sense? Wolverine or Storm, no. Colossus, Rogue or Bobby, no. Magneto, not really...

I think it's safe to say that if it is the contacting the past storyline, meaning no physical time travel, then it will be either Prof. X (in his twin's body) or a new character...

Forge isn't in this, so that rules that out. Plus Singer hinted at the time displacement being achieved through mutant powers and typical X-Men devices, so it's likely to be astral projection, telepathy, teleportation or Cerebro that are involved.

Also, there's likely to be several people travelling to the past. Singer mentioned the comedy possibilities of people who find themselves in another era (like Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, when they end up in the 70s looking for blue whales), and it's also hinted that one of the inspirations for the story is All-New X-Men (where all the past X-Men find themselves in the present day).

Plus, it would be too good a chance to pass up. Why keep two sets of characters isolated apart from one traveller (mentally or physically)?

Also, the 70s line-up of returning First Class characters is very light (Magneto, Mystique, Xavier, Beast), which suggests they are joined by others from the future.

I believe several characters will somehow be transferred into the past, while the others will be left fighting in the future and gradually being killed off, ramping up the tension and desperation of the mission in the past.

Forge isn't in this, so that rules that out. Plus Singer hinted at the time displacement being achieved through mutant powers and typical X-Men devices, so it's likely to be astral projection, telepathy, teleportation or Cerebro that are involved.

Also, there's likely to be several people travelling to the past. Singer mentioned the comedy possibilities of people who find themselves in another era (like Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, when they end up in the 70s looking for blue whales), and it's also hinted that one of the inspirations for the story is All-New X-Men (where all the past X-Men find themselves in the present day).

Plus, it would be too good a chance to pass up. Why keep two sets of characters isolated apart from one traveller (mentally or physically)?

Also, the 70s line-up of returning First Class characters is very light (Magneto, Mystique, Xavier, Beast), which suggests they are joined by others from the future.

I believe several characters will somehow be transferred into the past, while the others will be left fighting in the future and gradually being killed off, ramping up the tension and desperation of the mission in the past.

I do see your point about the 1973 X-men being light on characters, which would make it very likely that some from the future go back in time. My only concern is that the Age of Apocalypse is based on almost the same exact storyline. Would Singer really want to do this twice?

Maybe it won't be the whole team traveling back and only one, like Bishop. I think Bishop, Xavier (in a wheel chair), Beast, Magneto and Mystique, along with one or two other newbies (Adon's and/or BooBoo's characters) could work well. Magneto and Mystique might work with Xavier to save the future in the right storyline.

As far as the idea of the past X-men traveling forward, I can't see that.

My money Is on Blink's powers being adjusted so she can transport people to
past.But people need to remember

1:Unlikely there will be any sentinles In 1973.You have to believe sentinles aren't unleashed till after the trilogy and the Wolverine
2:You can't have a nearly a dozen characters against just Magneto and
Mystique In 1973.

My theory Is on Blink trnasporting herself,2 x-men and possibilly Xavier back to

The fact all new actors except Peter Dinklage are part of future scenes discounts the mind switch theory.

I do see your point about the 1973 X-men being light on characters, which would make it very likely that some from the future go back in time. My only concern is that the Age of Apocalypse is based on almost the same exact storyline. Would Singer really want to do this twice?

Maybe it won't be the whole team traveling back and only one, like Bishop. I think Bishop, Xavier (in a wheel chair), Beast, Magneto and Mystique, along with one or two other newbies (Adon's and/or BooBoo's characters) could work well. Magneto and Mystique might work with Xavier to save the future in the right storyline.

As far as the idea of the past X-men traveling forward, I can't see that.

Travelling forward could possibly happen in a new, fixed timeline but the reason I mentioned All-New X-Men is because of the idea of a GROUP of people travelling in time, not because of the direction they were going in. Singer will mainly do it in reverse, with a group going back in time, or that's what I think.

How they handle Wolverine - who also exists in the past - is another matter. As I already suggested, it might be that the future version is fried by a Sentinel and the time travellers have to find the 70s version to help them on their mission. But Wolverine is likely to be among the main players in this so either he travels back in time, or it's as I suggested (he dies and they have to find the past version).

i suspect singer will go with the brother idea, maybe with a twist so it isn't as silly as it was but overall i doubt singer will ignore it

As I already suggested, it might be that the future version is fried by a Sentinel and the time travellers have to find the 70s version to help them on their mission. But Wolverine is likely to be among the main players in this so either he travels back in time, or it's as I suggested (he dies and they have to find the past version).

I kind of like that idea. Definitely a different twist on the whole DOFP storyline. Needing Wolverine, maybe the adamantium, to do something in the future, and the future version having been killed, and having someone or a team go back to get him and bring him back is interesting...

But here's the thing...

We know that Singer is using 1973 for a reason and that he was scouting out areas in Washington D.C. Also that Nixon is a plot device. That means the 1973 scenes aren't about just finding Wolverine to bring him back to the future. Instead they will be focused on changing something that happened in the past, which is more aligned with the standard DOFP storyline.

I am still feeling my X Envelope idea, or maybe Watergate, which is tied into Vietnam, but Singer could tie it into anything. For example, maybe Watergate happened because this X Envelope wasn't proof of Nixon trying to prevent the South Vietnameese from coming to peace talks, but instead it has something to do with mutants. Maybe it's a list of all mutants, their powers and locations. Or maybe it is plans to an inhibitor collar/device or maybe even plans for Sentinals and/or Mastermold.

I think you guys can see where I'm going with this.

But the point is that the 1973 story arc will be around something Nixon related and likely Watergate.

And as I've argued in another thread, if there was a real thing called the "X Envelope" that applied to Watergate and Nixon, and specifically to the 1970's, wouldn't you use it if you were Singer?

Read about it here:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/mass-dest...uction-1.298992/nixon-the-x-envelope-1.382324

I kind of like that idea. Definitely a different twist on the whole DOFP storyline. Needing Wolverine, maybe the adamantium, to do something in the future, and the future version having been killed, and having someone or a team go back to get him and bring him back is interesting...

No, no, I didn't mean finding Wolverine to bring him back to the future. The time travel has to have a greater purpose than that. But the time travellers might need Wolverine to help them on their mission in the past.

But here's the thing...

We know that Singer is using 1973 for a reason and that he was scouting out areas in Washington D.C. Also that Nixon is a plot device. That means the 1973 scenes aren't about just finding Wolverine to bring him back to the future. Instead they will be focused on changing something that happened in the past, which is more aligned with the standard DOFP storyline.

Yes, as I was saying, the time travel won't be about finding Wolverine, it will have a much greater reason. Wolverine's death in the future is not a pivotal event, it will be something that happens in the past. But maybe the time travellers need Wolverine to help them, that's what I was saying (which you didn't seem to grasp!!)

I am still feeling my X Envelope idea, or maybe Watergate, which is tied into Vietnam, but Singer could tie it into anything. For example, maybe Watergate happened because this X Envelope wasn't proof of Nixon trying to prevent the South Vietnameese from coming to peace talks, but instead it has something to do with mutants. Maybe it's a list of all mutants, their powers and locations. Or maybe it is plans to an inhibitor collar/device or maybe even plans for Sentinals and/or Mastermold.

I think you guys can see where I'm going with this.

But the point is that the 1973 story arc will be around something Nixon related and likely Watergate.

And as I've argued in another thread, if there was a real thing called the "X Envelope" that applied to Watergate and Nixon, and specifically to the 1970's, wouldn't you use it if you were Singer?

Read about it here:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/mass-dest...uction-1.298992/nixon-the-x-envelope-1.382324

It could be anything. It could be a development in robotics, it could be a political thing, who knows.

Recently watching the 90s version, wolverine was the only xmen alive in the future, so I guess he'll have a substantial role as he is in past/present/future. If I'm honest it be nice if he took a supporting role and let the others flourish a bit more

Wolverine is at his most interesting when he is used less. He should definitely not be the leader of the X-men like Marvel is constantly trying to force

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"