How to avoid rehashing elements from the Nolan Trilogy

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Shikamaru, Apr 12, 2013.

1. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Batman Titles in Veins of Other Movies

Once Upon A Time in Gotham
    The Masked, Unmasked, and Permawhite
    Big Trouble in Little Gotham
    All Criminals Go to Gotham
    The Last Vigilante

2. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I get what you're saying.

Some might think that it's a sequel to TDKR (Batman "dying", and 'rising'/resurrecting/being reborn at the end with Blake).

This would probably feel even more this way if it was titled "The Dark Knight Reborn".

However, I think a new actor, a new look, and a trailer/dialogue that shows some 'origin' stuff ("Yes father, I shall become a bat"), and the resulting PR will make people aware that it's a reboot.

Batman 'Reborn' would then emphasize this, letting the audience know that they're getting something new and fresh; it almost sounds proud that it is a reboot, and not The Dark Knight 4.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  3. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

lol

Batman Unchained
    Kingdom of gotham
    gotham independence
    the little batman
    bats got to have it

4. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Batman Has Already Started, And This Is His Second Year As A Crimefighter

There :woot:

5. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

If they do want to restructure specific minutia of Batman's origin (for story purposes and otherwise), I wouldn't want them to simply redo the origin again, but pepper those deviations in the form of flashbacks throughout the next series of films if they can.

6. TheWiseGuy487

TheWiseGuy487 Electrifying!

They could do something ala The Incredible Hulk, with a few minute intro sequence chronicling all the major events in his life from his parents being murdered to his training and all the way up to his current status as the Caped Crusader of Gotham.

Then sprinkle flashbacks of his life throughout the film.

7. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

I don't like the "Batman Reborn" idea. I mean, I DO but not after the trilogy we just had. That rumor from last year of the reboot being named "The Batman" sounded cool to me. Very simple. It could be a hint that the upcoming series will be The batman interpretation of the comics/animation.

My question is, if they model the movie after Arkham Asylum (even in storyline to an extent) would they call the film "Arkham Asylum" or "Batman: Arkham Asylum"?? With it being a title for a comic, video game..i guess it wouldn't hurt. But what do u guys think..

The origin wont happen but I can see them pulling a Batman Forever moment where Bruce thinks of his past in a short flashback. Or they can go the Spider-Man route and do a montage in its opening credits with the new theme music playing over it. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Key points like angles/sounds of Bats coming towards him as a child, cut to the Waynes shot in an alley in front of him, doing martial arts somewhere in the outdoors, quick shot of the batcave with Bruce/Alfred standing inside, more bats flying around, the cowl & suit but not revealing too much, Joker laughing.

Just examples but that would be pretty cool.

8. Neo-god

Neo-god Member

Treat Batman Begins as unofficial canon, and go from there. Less bulky suit, and more focus on Batman's intelligence, a Sherlock Holmes/Ozymandias type.

9. James Howlett

James Howlett Member

Keep Nolan's style of serious and dark storytelling but don't make it too realistic. The action scenes should be more "superheroic". Make Batman jump and kick more and more agile than the previous ones.

1st Film: Start with "Year One" which covers the origin and training in 5-10 mins thru flashback. Then adapt the story of "Batman: Prey" for the second half. So, Hugo Strange would be the main villain. Use Penguin in place of Carmine Falcone as the secondary villain and Deadshot in place of Night Scourge as the henchman. Deadshot would provide some hardcore action sequences with lots of bullets and bombs. Deadshot would keep the comic book feel while HS would maintain the dark Nolan approach.

[​IMG]

Batman/Superman: Since this is a "DC Cinematic Universe", this movie is bound to happen. We will Batman against Poison Ivy who would try to control Supes like she did in Hush. In the end she would be revealed to be working for Lex Luthor. The film would focus on the strained relationship between Bats and Supes. Their 1st encounter could be a fight.

2nd Film: The Riddler is the main villain - a crazy genius determined to prove his superior intellect. Trying to solve his riddles would lead Batman to encounters with other villains like Killer Croc and Catwoman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3rd Film: Best villain for a third film would be none other than the Joker himself. He would be introduced in the previous films and in this one's beginning, he's locked up in arkham when harley quinn would free him. "The Man Who Laughs" would provide an interesting story and would feature the Joker venom. Also, "The Killing Joke" would be incorporated with the joker paralyzing Barbara Gordon. So, she would become Oracle and help batman in tracking him down. And since I'm talking of a shared universe, oracle could be used in future JLA films or a "Birds of Prey" movie. Harley Quinn would be Arkham City style, providing some action scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TruerToTheCore

TruerToTheCore Well-Known Member

:up:

11. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

I 100% agree on everything in johnathancrane's post!

12. IamtheBatman

IamtheBatman Well-Known Member

I am hoping for a Arkham movie.

13. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Does this really matter? When the European slant of the actors will be hidden beneath the American identity of the characters they are playing anyways?

14. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

It'd be interesting IF they made a film based on the Arkham Asylum game,It'd be like The Raid Redemption/Dredd and Lockdown mixed together..But with Batman stuck in the crazy house for one night as he fights through many psycho inmates and super villains to get to Joker who set up the trap and let the crazies free!!

No origin story/No direct sequel or anything fancy/No Bruce relying on people for help..Just one big quality Batman story where he has to use his own intellect/gadgets/martial arts and detective skills!

15. itsthebatman

itsthebatman Well-Known Member

No origin story. Please God not again.

16. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Yeah,Doing it like B'89 would be great

17. Galactus123

Galactus123 Well-Known Member

I hope reboot will be darker and not so reality based. I want that characters like Clayface and Killer Crock can exist in that world. I have always wanted to see live action version of the 90s animated series style of world. I like the style:

[​IMG]

I hope Gotham City will not be city that already exist. Nolan's Gotham was Chicago and New York. I don't want that.

18. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Yeah,I really miss the comic book fantasy element in a Bat film,Yes it had some in the in the Nolan trilogy But I mean more like Burton's films and Forever to an extend.

It has to be balanced though and not overdone like in the Schumacher films and especially B&R,Should be more like..

-Dark and Gritty:B'89

-Type of Gotham:B'89 or Begins

-Seriousness and characters handled:Nolan Trilogy

-Humor:Toned down version of Returns's dark humor

-Bruce Wayne:Similar to Val Kilmer or Christian Bale's

-Batman:Similar to Keaton or Val Kilmer's

Add all those elements together and more comic faithful:perfect Bat film(IMO)

19. Bad Superman

Bad Superman World's Grimmest Hero

Totally agree with this. More fantastical elements are needed to open the door for other cool villians.

I would add a more gothic "look" or "tone" similar to Burton's.

20. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

I want to let people know that I changed my mind on this after seeing the latest MOS trailer. I don't think MOS looks anywhere as realistic as I thought it was going to look. It seems to be more of a mix between the maturity & intelligence of the Nolan Batman films, the heart of Favreau's Iron Man and of Donner's Superman, and the fun action tone of The Avengers. Thus you have more room for a Batman reboot that is not a rehash of the Nolan stuff.

21. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Man, I would love to see a shot of a silhouette fight, ala Skyfall, on a stage in a creepy theatre with some pounding drums in the back.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  23. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

Make it more fantastical like the comics and the Arkham game for instance.

This time, I want a "Mark Hamill"-like Joker! Bring it on! :)

24. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Ehh...I don't think it would be smart to have someone in a live action film trying to feel like they sound like a cartoon version or a video game. Every new adaptation needs to be new, as new as Ledger's was to Nicholson's.

25. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Avoid rehashing elements of Nolan's trilogy? Get Richard Grayson and add more fantasy oriented villains