First Avenger How well does the general public in the Films Universe know about Capt. America?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
I've been wondering, ever since seeing the first Iron Man film as to how well known Captain America's deeds were since I found it odd that in the three films we've had so far (IM, TIH, IM2), that there has been no reference of him being acknowledged as having existed along with his heroic deds by the general populace or by a lot of the characters other than the scene involving Coulson recognizing Captain America's shield in Tony's box.

Well, in TIH, Blonsky obviously knew about Cap. When Gen. Ross talked about experiments, Blonsky first reaction was "Super Soldier"
Stark is probably a Cap fan, given that the shield was in his garage in both movies.

Well, in TIH, Blonsky obviously knew about Cap. When Gen. Ross talked about experiments, Blonsky first reaction was "Super Soldier"
Stark is probably a Cap fan, given that the shield was in his garage in both movies.

If I remember correctly, I think that the reason that was supposedly given for Capt America's shield being in Tony's lab was because of how the material/metal used to make Tony's armor was from the same source that was used to make Capt America' s shield. And given on how Tony treated it in Iron man 2, it didn't look like to me that he was a cap fan.lol

as for Blonsky's comments, well..there could have been talks about how the military was into trying to make a super soldier back in the WW2 days, but it wasn't made clear for me if he knew specifically about Capt himself.

I'm thinking his heroic deeds are kept secret.

Edit....

I misinterpreted the question and thought it referred to moviegoers. Sorry. :O

Last edited:
Well I think it might be a case of they know who he is but they don't really think of him all the time because he is 'dead' and they aren't gonna jump around in joy for this guy because the war is over and there are people like Iron Man and the Hulk running about.

Once he is brought back into the public eye he will be worshipped like the hero he is.

all his deeds happened in the 40's and most people have either forgotten or just don't think about him. not like he had a camera crew with him all the time in war zones so everything would've been passed down in story form. maybe people think he is a myth and only people in the military know who he is. or the family members of the people he saved know about him. probably just forgotten or he could have been swept under the rug after his "death", mostly so no other countries would look for him and the secret to the serum would not be uncovered by other nations.

all his deeds happened in the 40's and most people have either forgotten or just don't think about him. not like he had a camera crew with him all the time in war zones so everything would've been passed down in story form. maybe people think he is a myth and only people in the military know who he is. or the family members of the people he saved know about him. probably just forgotten or he could have been swept under the rug after his "death", mostly so no other countries would look for him and the secret to the serum would not be uncovered by other nations.

that's probably the case. Since I'm not as familiar with Captain America's character as much, I'm not sure if he was considered just a war hero back in the 40's if he was also considered again, as the first "superhero" of his time as well.

My guess is that whlie the ordinary military fought the Nazis... Cap was fighting Hydra (the super secret elite military branch of the nazis) Since the general public doesn't know about Hydra... they probably don't know about Cap.

My theory is that people know that Cap existed... but they all assume that he's a fictional character like uncle sam played by an actor. He did USO shows and appeared on magazine covers... but only those who actually saw Cap in action would realize that he was a super soldier. Once he dies (or is pressumed dead) the government covers up his wartime exploits. So now... he's more of an urban legend to the general populace and only people in the military with clearance (Blonsky) would know of what he really did.

Everybody knows Cap and what the general deal is. HYDRA and Skull will probably be foreign concepts, but I am sure they will catch onto the fact that the dude with a red skull is the baddy that wants to destroy the world.

My impression from TIH was that Blonky just made an assumption as to where Ross was going in that talk, rather than actually knowing anything about it. That Ross never mentions Cap at all suggests the general public will know nothing about Cap being an enhanced human, but that doesn't mean they never heard of him or some of his exploits in the War (can't be a 'living legend' unless the public knew something about you and your adventures beforehand)

My guess is the public will be aware there was a Captain America who did serve and apparently died in the war, he would have been considered a great hero of that time, but they would know nothing about his origins, who he really was, who he winds up fighting (Hydra) etc.

btw, making Cap unknown to the public was just one of the many mistakes the 90's film made. His resurrection loses a lot of significance if hardly anyone ever knew about him in the first place.

For the most part I'd people in Europe have an extremely vague recollection of the name 'Captain America' and maybe even an awareness of what he looks like, but that's it. Marketing will have its work cut out overseas, that's for sure.

EDIT - haha, I didn't realise this was about the film's own universe...

He could basically be a little-known secret during the WWII days if his mission was a secretive one, with only the era's equivalent of special forces involved with him. It would kinda' make sense rather than having him storm the beaches of Normandy or the islands of Guadalcanal and so on along with the bulk of the infantry.

I'm not familiar with the Captain America canon...so can those who are tell me how he got frozen in ice? Did his own government try to eliminate him after the mission was over, etc?

Well I'm sure they knew OF Cap just not too much of what he did.
I liked the idea of Bucky being a reporter or Newspaper photographer, over some tag along kid from the 40's book. Granted the Military would only allow certain photos, but, like Uncle Sam Cap would have been a moral booster for Soldiers if you ask me. The soldiers in turn would write home as well about Cap letting the general population know about him.
I really wouldn't like Cap being completely Covered up, just where he came from and what EXACTLY he did like any military secret weapon.

He could basically be a little-known secret during the WWII days if his mission was a secretive one, with only the era's equivalent of special forces involved with him. It would kinda' make sense rather than having him storm the beaches of Normandy or the islands of Guadalcanal and so on along with the bulk of the infantry.

I'm not familiar with the Captain America canon...so can those who are tell me how he got frozen in ice? Did his own government try to eliminate him after the mission was over, etc?

Very near end of the war (in Europe) he was on a mission in Newfoundland to stop a Baron Zemo V1 style rocket. He and Bucky chased after the rocket on a motorbike as it was about to launch and both jumped onto the thing. Trying to disable it Steve slipped off, Bucky stayed on thing and was unable to get loose when it blew up. Bucky's 'death' was the last thing Steve saw before falling into the sea and being frozen. Steve never actually saw the end of the war, but by late 44 everyone knew it was just a matter of time anyway.

He was only found and thawed later due to Namor, but that's another story.

Also, in canon, Caps WW2 efforts were very publicly known and revered (hence the whole 'living legend' tagline he has carried for so long). So when he returned people people meeting him tended to be a little in awe of the man.
Personally would love a scene in Avengers when Tony first meets Cap, and the usually charming, smooth, and quick with a quip Tony acts like a starstruck little kid meeting his childhood hero.

Last edited:
Also, in canon, he was at Normandy for the D-Day landings. I don't think they will have that here though (might be seen as disrespectful for those that really did serve there).
I think it would probably be better to have him as one the parachute troops that went in behind the enemy lines that day, with his mission not related to any real ones that happened.

Also, in canon, he was at Normandy for the D-Day landings. I don't think they will have that here though (might be seen as disrespectful for those that really did serve there).
I think it would probably be better to have him as one the parachute troops that went in behind the enemy lines that day, with his mission not related to any real ones that happened.

Yeah....more of a secretive/surgical strike kind of thing.

I don't think it'd make much sense to viewers to have USA's super soldier rolling out first wave on Omaha, because it'd be about luck more than skill whether he survived. I'd like to see him involved in at least one battle though, even though the movie is not directly a war movie.

I too have thought that that would be best way to do it. The D-Day landings were a slaughterhouse.....a mission headed by Cap to stop some big weapon or the like before the invasion would be a good way to go.

Plus...it'd be pretty hard to beat that opening scene from Saving Private Ryan...especially if they want to keep it to a PG-13 rating at worst.

Man...they should've consulted Tom Clancy on the story, yo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"