How would you fix the Academy Awards?

sithgoblin

King of the Castle
Reaction score
Over the years, the Academy Awards have made some amazing gaffes (like making some winners accept their award from the aisle - wtf!), but fortunately they have been isolated to individual years. However, there are some fundamental problems with the Oscars as a whole that I think should be fixed.

1. Don't drown out the winners with music
Jon Stewart did a commendable thing when he let that woman back on stage to give her acceptance speech. It's the winner's night, for christsakes. Let them have their moment. That's what it's all about, celebrating their talent. If you want to save time, how about less focus on the inane presenter banter - which is always lame - and more on the winners?

2. Don't perform every Best Original Song nomination live
This is a huge snoozefest for me, and also an annoying one. This isn't a music awards show, it's a film awards show. And they don't play complete cues for the original film score nominations, they place short excerpts. They should do the same for Best Original Song. If they want to honour them so badly, they could perform the winner live, but performing every damn song is time that could be spent on other things - like, oh I don't know, letting the winners give an acceptance speech? Or just making the show not go overtime?

Anyone else?

I agree with your suggestions. I also think they should move the show along briskly and cut out montages that just seemed to prolong the show. I also think they should bring John Stewart back; having a competent host can help increase the enjoyment of the show.

No more stupid montages :o

Keep the ones for the people that died in the past year, the honorary award, etc. But none of the crappy ones they do (tribute to gay cowboys, people having bad dreams, etc).

Best Superhero Movie/ Best Blockbuster Category :oldrazz:

I like the montages. :csad:
I do to...just not after every commercial break:o

I would hire multiple hosts, maybe 2-3 like Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Conan, Colbert, Letterman, etc...John Stewart clearly had no set and his jokes that he 'winged' were awful.

I like the montages. :csad:

I like the ones for the people that died and the honorary ones...but the other ones that are just supposed to be funny are stupid. THAT IS WHAT THE HOST IS FOR!!!

I like the ones for the people that died and the honorary ones...but the other ones that are just supposed to be funny are stupid. THAT IS WHAT THE HOST IS FOR!!!
Like how John Stewart said that if it wasn't for the writers being back, they would have more dumb montages...yet there was still one every 10 minutes:o

When you say "fix." You mean so every year Denzel and DiCaprio gets one, right?

Actually nominate movies that people care about? And while I love Jon Stewart (seriously, I watch the Daily Show all the time), I think they need a host like Billy Crystal that can perform and do a GRAND entrance.

Actually nominate movies that people care about? And while I love Jon Stewart (seriously, I watch the Daily Show all the time), I think they need a host like Billy Crystal that can perform and do a GRAND entrance.

I think they're swinging away from the Steve Martins and Billy Crystals because they want someone the youngsters can relate to. Someone ironically funny. You seriously think they'd try to bring Crystal back?

they don't play complete cues for the original film score nominations

I remember a time when they DID do that. In fact...I remember 10 years ago they had dancers perform to the nominees. I'll never forget a bunch of dancers in suits and dark glasses dancing to Danny Elfman's Men In Black theme. :heart:

No more stupid montages :o

Agreed. I like the montages but they over do it.

I think they need a host like Billy Crystal that can perform and do a GRAND entrance.

Agreed. Billy Crystal was the best. Steve Martin, Whoopi, Ellen, Jon Stewart, etc haven't lived up to the greatness that was Billy Crystal. Chris Rock was close but I missed the song and dance.

Dont be so bias towards comedies. Only thing I would change

Not about the show but the process. No mater what the perception is, most academy members do not see the majority of films nominated. That's a fact. They vote on hype and recomendations. Much of the Acedemy is made up of old geezers who neither go to see the noms or know how to use the DVD's that the Academy sends them. The rest are stars and workers who do not have the time to see the films.

A friend of mine has an uncle in he Academy, he was a cinematographer in the 60's. My friend told me he voted for No Country For Old Men because and I quote, "was the favorite and it had to be good", he never saw it.

I don't know what he answer is, but when you have people voting on films they have not even seen, I think that's a bigger problem than the host or a montage.

Montages funny? Are we seeing the same montages? I dont believe that this is their point. The point of the montages is to honor cinema which is what the whole point of the show is in the first place.

We don't need entire performances of " song of the year ", just a snippet from the film will do. Also, quit showing Jack Nicholsen wearing his shades every 2 minutes.

We don't need entire performances of " song of the year ", just a snippet from the film will do. Also, quit showing Jack Nicholsen wearing his shades every 2 minutes.

I like that the performances are played. This is suppose to be a show afterall.

That year Robin Williams covered Blame Canada was one of the better ones. Those should be kept, because usually the songs are pretty good.

Two words:

CONAN DAMNIT! :cmad:

Ellen Degeneres should never host again... she was not very entertaining last year... but if they need a woman in there which they probably do then keep her I guess... the third person in the rotation should probably be Conan but I wouldn't mind some new blood... I don't like Chris Rock that much either...

:huh:

Tons of people cared about "Juno", "No Country", and "There Will Be Blood".

Not the general public. Juno was the ONLY movie people have seen of the five movies nominated. No wonder when Titanic was nominated it was the highest rated Oscar telecast.

Actually nominate movies that people care about?

You suck, sorry, no explanation is needed when you make a stupid statement like that.

Explanation: I'm bored... The oscars are not meant to nominate movies people care about, if you want that then go watch the PEOPLE's Choice Award. The Oscars pick the BEST movies of the year whether people care or not doesn't matter. These are movies chosen by the artists themselves. Now whether those movies are actually the best is another matter but that's not what you said. So this is why your statement is so undeniably dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"