BvS How would you have changed the plot in BvS?

Seahawksfan

Civilian
Reaction score
For all of the armchair screenplay writers, I wanted to ask what you would have done differently re: the plot. The only thing I'd immediately do would be to scrap the Louis Lane investigation subplot. What would you do?

More BATMAN vs SUPERMAN and less DAWN OF JUSTICE

Felt like to me that they squandered a potentially awesome movie all in order to rush to the Justice League as fast as possible, resulting in a highly overstuffed movie.

Oh and Dear Snyder.

I asked for Lex Luthor, not the Riddler. :o

The first thing that occurs to me is that IF I have studio directives to include Batman and WW, and to make this an intro to the JL, instead of just a MoS sequel, I DON'T use TDKR and DoS as the building blocks of my movie.

I would have gone batman/superman instead of batman v superman. Once you decided the6 has to fight the movie really seemed forced to make it happen.

Honestly, the best thing they could have done for this movie is:
A. Take out Batman altogether.
B. Re-cast Lex Luthor. He should be an "evil Bruce Wayne".
C. The secondary villain should be Bizarro, Luthor's attempt at cloning Superman.
D. The film needs to end with Luthor NOT going to jail.
E. More focus should be on the character of Superman/Clark Kent.

I would have taken out Lex, Wonder Woman and Doomsday altogether. Give us a real Batman V Superman movie. There's enough going on with each character to keep a good story going. More time on Supes being at the Daily Planet and trying to balance his life with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Batman being Batman, the GA eats that up. Have them fight, multiple times with Bats getting his arse whooped the first time.

How about lifting the right stuff from TDKR instead of just some cool visuals?

Superman as an agent of the government and status quo, Batman as an uncontrolled vigilante that needs to be supressed / dealt with once and for all. There's your conflict, based on their opposing ideologies.

Superman as an agent of the government and status quo, Batman as an uncontrolled vigilante that needs to be supressed / dealt with once and for all. There's your conflict, based on their opposing ideologies.

While I personally loved Batman v Superman, I could see your idea above working out quite well. They could have opened the film with Superman meeting the senate and discussing the events of Metropolis. The government could instill what it means to be a hero/consciousness of "casualties of war". It kind of brainwashes Superman into being the "boy scout" he's always been. Striving to do the right thing. (I do enjoy Snyder's take though. Even if it's not comic accurate, I felt it was more real/believabe. Like a Superman that would exist in our world. Someone struggling to do the right thing and be accepted amongst an inferior race.)

With everything Superman learns, that's why he has such a hard time accepting Batman because he essentially goes against our laws and order to an extent.

If that's kind of what you were going for, I dig it.

For all of the armchair screenplay writers, I wanted to ask what you would have done differently re: the plot. The only thing I'd immediately do would be to scrap the Louis Lane investigation subplot. What would you do?

I would have taken everything out and started over.

As someone who wants to be a screenplay writer and taking classes in it, I would just start over. Maybe keep the first 10 minutes where it's the flashback to MOS but from Bruce's POV but that's it.

Ooooh. I'm gonna have a lot of fun in this thread...

Take out JL characters out of Batman and Superman. Make the movie about Batman & Superman's character differences & opposing views instead of manipulation of Lex. If Lex had to be involved more subtle make him using goverment & media to create more tention between two. No doomsday. Also no to weirdo Lex.

Simply a movie about Superman and Batman, why they are so different despite they are fighting for justice.

No african scenes, no mos references (except first scene maybe), no superman is killer plot, no alternate universes etc.

BvS is basically JL introduction forced with a weak story to justify Batman vs Superman and eventually sacrifice of Superman to form JL. Ugh.

You've been borderline-obsessive with your negative criticisms of the film and Snyder's version of Superman, and yet you actually suggest that they should have made Superman an agent of the government? That's probably one of the biggest fears people initially had about Superman in this movie when it became evident there were some level of TDKR influence going on, and one of the few fears some people had that actually DIDN'T come true for them.

This is a long one, but here we go.

Open with death of Robin, Batman unmasks while cradling Robin's body, revealing his face. This is cross-cut with the death of Bruce Wayne's parents.
Title: Batman v Superman
Metropolis battle flashback from Bruce's POV

18 months later...

Superman is performing saves around the world after the Metropolis attack. He's a popular figure among the downtrodden and now the charming hero we expect him to be. As a gesture of peace, he has allowed the US government to keep the scout ship. The world still is unsure how to feel about him, so he's trying very hard to prove himself a savior.

He has a quiet life with Lois, but he's frustrated that his Superman persona is limited by geopolitics and his own fallibility, and cannot do more to help people. He can hear the cries every day of those he can't save, and this saddens him.

In Gotham, Batman has grown more ruthless since the rumored death of Robin at the hands of the Joker five years ago. We open with the warehouse action scene and a subsequent car cahse, and KGBeast is easily dispatched and branded, while many of his men are killed. Alfred warns Bruce in the Batcave that he no longer is what he used to be, implying that he enjoys hurting people now. Bruce argues back that his no-kill rule is what cost Robin his life.

We find Lex Luthor, jealous of Superman's power, convincing the government to give him access to the scout ship and the World Engine, and he finds Kryptonite. He contacts Bruce at a gala in Gotham. Bruce drops his playboy persona around him and Lex offers him some Kryptonite, which Bruce accepts later at Wayne Enterprises.

Back at Wayne Manor, Bruce analyzes the Kryptonite and Lex's data. Alfred seems disturbed by Bruce's obsession with Superman, but goes along with Bruce's plan to develop weapons that can stop him. Alfred asks Bruce if he's ever considered Superman may have a human persona, but Bruce rejects the notion and can only see Superman as inhuman.

Meanwhile, Clark catches wind of Batman's vigilantism and decides that if he can't do all he can as Superman, he should at least try to as Clark Kent. He and Lois venture to Gotham to expose Batman as a criminal. Clark visits GCPD, looks through old records, and discovers Batman's appearance coincides with Bruce Wayne's return to Gotham 20 years ago. He also finds out Batman's methods used to be less brutal. Lois focuses on Batman's high-tech gadgets and discovers Wayne Enterprises invested in projects like a powerful military car and a grappel gun that were eventually canned - and are used by Batman.

That night, some of Luthor's experimental drones are hacked in Gotham and turn on its citizens, forcing Superman and Batman to come to the city's rescue. Superman easily takes out some drones and does so while protecting people, while Batman brutally knocks them out of the sky with the Batwing, forcing Superman to stop the debris from hitting the city. The two of heroes angrily confront each other after the battle. Superman warns Batman to stop his cruelty or stop being a vigilante, and reveals he doesn't need X-ray vision to know he is Bruce Wayne; Batman warns Superman that his time will come and asks him if he bleeds. Superman flies back to Metropolis.

Clark and Lois are assigned to interview Luthor after the disaster. Luthor appears distraught over the incident, and disparages Superman's intervention as "reckless." Clark, visibly hurt by the comment, argues that Superman is here to do good and he wants to help people, but Luthor says humanity should not be lifted up by gods, that humanity should rise up on their own to be stronger. Clark leaves the interview bitter. A scene reveals Luthor has been tailing Clark for some time now and knows he is Superman.

Clark later confides in Lois that he's tired of being hurt by what people think of him. Lois suggests he hold a press conference and announce his intentions to the world. Then he flies off to save a girl from committing suicide, and we see he has to make a complete 180 and become the shoulder to lean on.

Meanwhile, Bruce finishes developing the Kryptonite weapons. Bruce gives Alfred his 1% speech and tells him he is going to save the world. Alfred reveals how much he despises what Bruce is becoming and leaves Wayne Manor. Bruce later leaves for another gala, which Clark is covering. Clark confronts Bruce, revealing his identity. Bruce is initially taken aback, but rejects Clark's humanity. Clark tells Bruce he won't let him hurt any more people; Bruce says the same.

Lex learns more about the ship and decides to create Doomsday as a fail-safe in case the upcoming battle does not go as planned. Mercy Graves asks him why he didn't use Doomsday first. Lex replies he wants humanity to make God bow.

Superman contacts the mayor of Metropolis and a press conference is later held at the Black Zero memorial (there is no Supes statue yet). Superman is suddenly weakened by a Kryptonite ray from an unknown source and his heat vision goes nuts, destroying part of the park and city. Clark thinks Bruce is behind it; Bruce thinks Clark attacked the city. Superman flies away. The city goes on high alert.

That night, Batman calls Superman to Gotham. Before going, Clark and Lois talk. Lois tells him not to go, that she doesn't think Bruce is behind it, and even if he is, Clark should go through the police instead. Clark refuses, telling her that Superman needs to prove himself, not be saved by others.

Lois frantically attempts to stop the fight.

Superman arrives, and both accuse the other of causing the disaster. The fight is vicious as both heroes tear through an abandoned part of Gotham. The fight ends when Superman restrains himself from crippling Batman, allowing Batman to gain the upper hand with the Kryptonite spear. Clark tells Bruce to tell Lois he loves her just as Lois bursts in from a DP helicopter. This stops Bruce from killing him, as he realizes he is becoming a murderer.

Superman and Batman both realize they are on the same side. They head back to the Batcave, where the three of them deduce that Lex is behind all this. The drones were used to bring them into conflict and he supplied the Kryptonite. Superman and Batman go to Lex at the scout ship, where he unleashes Doomsday. Superman and Batman lead Doomsday away from Metropolis and back to Gotham, where Superman kills Doomsday with the Kryptonite spear.

Back at LexCorp, Superman confronts Lex from outside his office. They discuss Superman's place in the world, and Superman parts telling Lex that he will always be watching. Lex rejects Superman's human identity as a sham. In the end, Lex is secretly horrified by what he has done in his attempt to destroy Superman.

In the aftermath, Superman and Batman are hailed as public heroes, and Clark finally feels satisfied with his heroism. A Supes statue is unveiled. Lex has blamed the incident on the Kryptonian technology and holdover genetic experiments, and suggested that the ship's technology was responsible for causing Superman's powers to go crazy. Bruce reunites with Alfred.

At the Kent Farm, Clark and Bruce decide to work together, and Clark urges they they assemble a league to solve the problems they alone cannot.

Closing title: Dawn of Justice

Last edited:
-Show Batman and Superman (Clark and Bruce) interacting more.
-I honestly wouldve gone the Public Enemies route and adapted a lot from that.
-No Dawn of Justice stuff
-Wouldve slowed the Lois/Clark love story down A LOT (bums me out how much they're messing it up)
-Not really a plot point but I wouldve recast Eisenberg

I would introduce a secondary supervillain, someone who Superman and Batman are both trying to take down, and use this villain to illustrate the heroes' conflicting methods. Lex would be more behind the scenes, pulling the strings. I would also have him in contact with Darkseid, although this would merely be hinted at and not directly stated. Lex would be trying to take down Superman using Darkseid's tech, while Darkseid is studying the human race in his search for the ALE.

Ultimately, whatever plot you go with, make sure you get the character of Superman right and honestly it can all work. Superman shouldn't be serious and uncomfortable in his own skin. Make him confident, assertive but not a bully, witty, and charming.

-Show Batman and Superman (Clark and Bruce) interacting more.
-I honestly wouldve gone the Public Enemies route and adapted a lot from that.
-No Dawn of Justice stuff
-Wouldve slowed the Lois/Clark love story down A LOT (bums me out how much they're messing it up)
-Not really a plot point but I wouldve recast Eisenberg

Naaaaah bro, having Superman's mom get kidnapped is so much better lulz.

I'd remove Lex's "manipulations" entirely, his only role in the film if i did it would be causing Zod's corpse to mutate into DD for the 3rd act threat and trying to import Kyrptonite, the rest of his arc was unneccesary. Bats wants to take down SUpes because he sees him as a threat to humanity. Supes wants to take down Bats because he doesn't approve of a vigilante taking the law into his own hands in the manner he does.

More than enough reason for their conflict and in the end both of those subplots, which I happened to be anticipating more than any other, were left woefully underdeveloped.

Superman's trial should have been held at the UN and not Capitol Hill. Superman is a worldwide problem, not just an American one. Those world engines were landing around the world and not just in Metropolis, correct? (It's been at least 2 years since I've seen MoS, so I could be wrong) I would think more than just American leadership would have concerns about Superman's presence or want answers for the Kryptonian attack of 2013?

In this scene, at the UN, I would have Aquaman come in an crash it (I'm envisioning the Justice League computer clip scene being cut so that the characters can have more meaningful cameos. Flash's one following the Parademon dream was pretty good on its own imo). The rumor about his appearance was that originally he would show up with some gripes about what the world engines did to the fish. I don't think that that would have been bad at all. The presence of Kryptonite could definitely have some adverse effects on the already delicate balance of life in the ocean. I could see him waltzing in with a posse of Atlantean guards bearing samples of the Kryptonite and giving Supes his first taste of its effects in the courtroom. That would then leave a reasonable excuse for why he wouldn't see Lex's surprise bombing coming.

Having that bombing happen at the UN while in the presence of both Superman and Aquaman would open up a lot more doors. #1 it would be a more dramatic impact since it would be a global level tragedy rather than just an American one. Delegates from all over the world would be put in harm's way and then it would be the population of the planet getting upset rather than just the United States. Secondly, suspicion could be thrown at Aquaman and Atlanteans since they entered the trial in a heated and antagonistic way which could set up tension between them and surface world for future Aquaman or Justice League movies to explore. Thirdly, Aquaman would have gotten a better cameo.

The only thing that I haven't figured out how to make sense would be why they would allow the wheelchair dude into a UN trial since he's just a random guy. I'm not 100% sure how the UN works, so I don't know if Senator Finch would even be allowed to be there. But that wouldn't be the biggest head-scratcher decision of the movie, so maybe it would have slid by fine.

You've been borderline-obsessive with your negative criticisms of the film and Snyder's version of Superman, and yet you actually suggest that they should have made Superman an agent of the government? That's probably one of the biggest fears people initially had about Superman in this movie when it became evident there were some level of TDKR influence going on, and one of the few fears some people had that actually DIDN'T come true for them.

Yes. Absolutely. Because it makes sense to Superman's character.

...real Superman I mean, not Snyder's, obviously.

Superman is at heart a trusting, open person - brought up in a bucolic environment and taught by his loving parents to think the best of people. A man like that is ripe for manipulation from bad men ready to take advantage of that trust.

It's Superman's real weakness. Not the bloody kryptonite.

Batman was born in blood and death. His parents murder taught him to trust nothing in this world, other than yourself. To take control, rather than hand it to others.

There's your ideological conflict.

...And you call it borderline obsession, I call it seeing a terrible movie for what it is.

Tough one because i would have made a totally different movie - a solo superman film with nods to a wider universe.

But, had i walked in on a meeting a month before the shoot and had to rework it, i would have done this.

"Zack, here's a 20, go get some doughnuts"

We open with news reports of the Zod v Superman fight. We see how it looked from the ground up, we see people hurt.
We see a cop console a little girl that lost her mommy 'up there' and we see firefighters helping out Scoot McNolegs.

We then have a story where Lex Luthor, played by Jeff Dean Morgan is campaigning against Superman. Trying to discredit him, he enlists the help of Scoot, to be is poster boy.

We have Supes doing his best to be seen as a hero - saving cats out trees, finding that little girl who lost her mum and saying sorry and she forgives him.

We see lois witness it, falling in love with this true saviour and then we see her conflicted as Perry wants her to be neutral and go with Luthor's Superman bashing.

We see Scoot with new Legs, courtesy of Lex corp, we learn Lex has used Zod, to test out rock found by the world engine. Illegally of course, Senator said no. It's powerful in energy yet harms Zod. It also let him weaken the metal of the scout ships and retool it.

At a later hearing with Sen Finch, Supes pleads to the world that he is here to do good, Sen looks confused, Supes hones in and reads what she is holding - it's a lexcorp business card - when boom, an explosion rocks through the building. Supes looks around, flames engulf him, bodies everywhere, he uses his super breath to blow out the flames, the sprinklers kick in, he flies up out of the building and to lexcorp towers.

Outside, Scoot McMetallegs rushes in - he was never in the building, he helps take out the dead, survivors, it's grim, but Scoot is hailed the hero.

Supes gets to the tower, the explosion causes the meeting to be adjourned, two men watch the news, but superman bursts in. Lex introduces Superman to Bruce Wayne - played by Batfleck.

Supes grabs Lex and flys out to high over the city, as the sun starts to set.

Supes can't understand what his problem is, why he would do that - lex laughs and asks to be put down before they both die - supes feels dizzy but tries to focus, he can't and has to fly back, once landed, Lex shows the green kryptonite ring to superman.
Bruce, still in the office, has since stolen files on meta humans from lex's files- he looks on, unsure, but holding his ground. Lex starts beating superman, telling him why he did it, why he wants the world to know Superman is a fraud.

Lex is in a rage, spitting as he shouts. He has never hated superman so more and never been so close to him, superman is weak too, Lex is enjoying this. A young boy walks in, Lex screams at him to leave, the boy looks shaken and runs (played by Jessie eisenberg - ok maybe not eisenberg, maybe a 11 year old).

Bruce is gone, waiting on the far side of the tower, in communication to Alfred. The batwing appears - smoke pellets fly out, lex is confused and loses his grip on a beaten superman - the smoke clears and Superman, Bruce and the plane are gone.

Lex screams into the sky.

Metroplis is on marshal law, people are after superman, some are scared, some don't believe it. News reports are saying they found a package belonging to Scoot - lex has framed him.

In the bat cave superman comes too, confused, he wonders where he is, bruce - as batman, explains. Showing him the ring (enclosed).

Superman holds out his hand to shake, bruce says - not yet. He points to a hole in the cave and superman darts out.

At the planet everyone is reporting on the explosion, lois is calling for clark.

He doesn't pick up, instead he is behind her, looking bruised.

At this moment an email comes through - it's visual footage of Lex beating the **** out of Superman, explaining about the kryptonite rock and why he did what he did.

Boom, Lex is under arrest. Thanks to the Daily Planet.

A week later and Clark is on the farm, his mom calls him in, lois is there, they have dinner as the news shows Lex going down for 1) illegal importing 2) Bomb and framing scoot and 3) GBH on superman
Lois looks at Clark, he seems distant, he says he has one thing to do.

Gotham city, the bat signal rips through the sky, Superman waiting. Bat appears in the shadows.

clark says 'i always knew the bat man was here for good, your methods are different but your secret, is safe - the ring...'

Bruce 'The ring is safe....... there are others out there, like you, but there is also something out there, coming, we need to be ready'

End.

Credits.

Post credit sequence.

Clark receives an encrypted email from Batman - it's edited footage from a space station or satellite of some sort, it zooms in towards the direction or orions belt - the universe looks beautiful for a moment, then, the centre of the camera distorts, for what we see is similar to a black hole, it's the boom tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"