Endgame Hulk/Bruce Banner - Mark Ruffalo

Spoiler Alert Disney has officially released a clip featuring The Jolly Green Giant in all his glory. I guess it's open season now...

I honestly loved how they handled Hulk in this movie. His arc makes complete sense. I do wish we had seen him let loose, but oh well, you can't get everything.

Man... None of that equals you or anyone knowing with 100% certainty that any of the film makers "don't like Hulk".

That's your conclusion that I'm rebutting. Be disappointed. I understand the reasoning behind that. Wish that things were different, even dismissing the monumental task of reworking a hugely complex undertaking like this film? Have at it. What if to your fanboy's heart's content.

That doesn't change that "They just don't like Hulk" isn't a rational conclusion and is based on an emotional response.

I didn’t say that they didn’t like Hulk with 100% certainty, I don’t have a clue what their thinking was, I have never met the Russo’s or the writers. But I said judging from Hulks poor showing in IW and EG, it feels like either they don’t like the character, or they don’t know how to write him.

Not once did I state any of this was a 100% fact, or that it was a definitive conclusion, it just how it felt as a fan of the character. So again, I am not agreeing with your point.

The idea of being a fan has old – and odd – roots. Merriam-Webster defines a fan as “a very enthusiastic supporter or admirer.” The word fan itself came about as a shortened form of the word fanatic, meaning “marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.”Feb 3, 2016

I honestly don’t understand why we criticize people for being passionate about the character or speaking(typing) with emotion about the character when that’s part of the territory. I also don’t understand why we call people fanboys when going by the above definition we are all fans or we wouldn’t be here. To me that just seems rude and almost as if your opinion is the only opinion that matters and all others are foolish.

We all have opinions about the character and truthfully it’s subjective, whether you like the direction or hate the direction they took the character. How about we just try to discuss both ways without resorting to childish insults like calling people we don’t know fanboys or calling people out for being emotional about a character they are truly a fan of . That’s what fans do, whether it be for a sports team or their favorite character...

I didn’t like the direction they took the Hulk in these last two Avengers movies, but understand people did like it, and respect that. Reasonable discussion should be what these boards are about, not childish insults and dismissing others viewpoints.

I didn’t say that they didn’t like Hulk with 100% certainty, I don’t have a clue what their thinking was, I have never met the Russo’s or the writers. But I said judging from Hulks poor showing in IW and EG, it feels like either they don’t like the character, or they don’t know how to write him.

Not once did I state any of this was a 100% fact, or that it was a definitive conclusion, it just how it felt as a fan of the character. So again, I am not agreeing with your point.

Good point

I still wish they had made Hulk like the version in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Just for the possible interactions with the other characters.

Behance

02%20Incredible%20Hulk%20001.jpg

I would like in the MCU a version of Professor Hulk that can still get angry and go into smash mode but maybe not completely out of control like regular savage Hulk. I can’t be bothered with the danger to teammates and civilians angle after all this development since TIH and Avengers 1. I’m quite happy for him to be in EG style Professor Hulk mode whenever he’s angry (I’d assume that to be most of the time). It is great CGI work too.

I think if you apply certain ideas from the comics the journey for Banner/Hulk isn't over. I think that it's telling that BANNER is in control and there was zero talk of "the other guy". Much like in the comics this "cure" Banner came up with feels like it treated the symptom and not the cause.

I’d be curious to see if Ruffalo’s still in the game or if this was his final bow.

I’d be curious to see if Ruffalo’s still in the game or if this was his final bow.

I would hope someone with a mind of what to do with Hulk further would try to impress upon Ruffalo that there's oodles more to explore with the character. If the issue with the Netflix characters extends to things like use of the name DEFENDERS, I think by the time the contractual nonsense is up that a good play would be to wrangle Ruffalo into a true Defenders movie. I think that a Defenders film with Cumberbatch and Ruffalo essentially taking the co-lead spots similar to Evans and RDJ with the Avengers would be another huge hit. They have a nucleus with what's already been established with Strange, Hulk and they introduced Valkyrie. Bring in the likes of the Surfer, Namor and Moondragon and you've got the seeds for a super hero team like no other, pulling in three characters that are already established and popular. Plus it side steps the distribution rights issue with Hulk again but would make him a bigger fish in a smaller pond so that he would get some shine and individual development.

Of course... This is just my fanboy goggles working overtime.

I hope not, as at the moment it would feel wholly unsatisfying if this was Hulk's last appearance. I did love the heroic moment of him reversing the snap, but then the no participation in the final battle bothered me hugely, even during my 2nd viewing last night.

I hope there is more to come from the character in the MCU and that different writers/directors realise he potential of the character going forward.

The idea of being a fan has old – and odd – roots. Merriam-Webster defines a fan as “a very enthusiastic supporter or admirer.” The word fan itself came about as a shortened form of the word fanatic, meaning “marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion.”Feb 3, 2016

I honestly don’t understand why we criticize people for being passionate about the character or speaking(typing) with emotion about the character when that’s part of the territory. I also don’t understand why we call people fanboys when going by the above definition we are all fans or we wouldn’t be here. To me that just seems rude and almost as if your opinion is the only opinion that matters and all others are foolish.

We all have opinions about the character and truthfully it’s subjective, whether you like the direction or hate the direction they took the character. How about we just try to discuss both ways without resorting to childish insults like calling people we don’t know fanboys or calling people out for being emotional about a character they are truly a fan of . That’s what fans do, whether it be for a sports team or their favorite character...

I didn’t like the direction they took the Hulk in these last two Avengers movies, but understand people did like it, and respect that. Reasonable discussion should be what these boards are about, not childish insults and dismissing others viewpoints.

I have to agree and say that of all the mcu movies with Hulk IW & EG should have given us the best Hulk-Out moments. We got nothing. I get it but its definitely disappointing that we feel Hulk wasn't redeemed in that savage sense. We didn't see this Hulk do any kind of smashing!

That said, Banner proving some sort of tactical skill (something they gave Hulk in the comics so that he could function without Banner) doesn't make sense to me, that's not his interest or character. I would have liked maybe a little BJJ as a reference to the Norton Hulk movie, but leaving Hulk with some fight in him leaves you with a major problem: How do you end Hulk's story? If he regenerates... then how can Ruffalo retire, or even take a backseat. If Hulk's powers make him Hulk Forever, where do you put him? Captain Marvel only works because you can put her on a dozen other planets. Hulk has to be able to be sat down, he has to have an end point. I think they could have done better, but it's not as if what we got was some kind of hatred. Maybe it was entirely the opposite.

Why does he need to be retired at all, though? He's barely had any screen time as it is, compared to the other main MCU heroes, and his actor is still eager to continue playing the character.

I honestly loved how they handled Hulk in this movie. His arc makes complete sense. I do wish we had seen him let loose, but oh well, you can't get everything.
Yeah, that was all that was missing. Pretty important though lol. :csad:

I have to agree and say that of all the mcu movies with Hulk IW & EG should have given us the best Hulk-Out moments. We got nothing. I get it but its definitely disappointing that we feel Hulk wasn't redeemed in that savage sense. We didn't see this Hulk do any kind of smashing!
Hulk was amazing in Avengers 1 and Ragnarok. It’s a shame we didn’t get to see him do more in the 2 biggest MCU films. I’m interested in the Professor Hulk angle as long as he still Hulks out.

I'm actually of the opinion that I'm good never seeing savage Hulk again. But I do want to see Bruce kick bass as professor Hulk.

Last edited:
Hulk was emasculated.

His rage = toxic masculinity. Can't have that.

I'm so done with the MCU aka SJWU

Hulk was emasculated.

That is such a stupid opinion.

It's looking for something to be offended by. I suggest looking in the mirror next time you inevitably use the term "snow flake".

Last edited:
Hulk was emasculated.

Bruce Banner fears his alter ego because across practically almost every media (the comics from the character's creation to the recent and excellent Immortal Hulk series, the Bixby tv series, the movies etc) it's been specified over and over again that the rage of the Hulk is not a positive thing in it's entirety and considering, thanks to Peter David, where that rage stems from (the abuse Banner suffered as a child under his father) I don't see the issue with the thematic idea of Bruce trying to completely control that aspect of himself.

Bruce Banner fears his alter ego because across practically almost every media (the comics from the character's creation to the recent and excellent Immortal Hulk series, the Bixby tv series, the movies etc) it's been specified over and over again that the rage of the Hulk is not a positive thing in it's entirety and considering, thanks to Peter David, where that rage stems from (the abuse Banner suffered as a child under his father) I don't see the issue with the thematic idea of Bruce trying to completely control that aspect of himself.

Which is why this problem keeps arising in the fandom: the writers pretty consistently understand that the Hulk's uncontrollable rage is *not* a good thing, it is at best a mixed blessing that must be carefully controlled and directed. The Hulk is a monster, just a monster who can be put to good ends.

Far too many fans simply don't agree with even the founding premise. They do not view the Hulk as a monster, do not view uncontrolled rage as a bad thing, do not view the possibility of uncontrolled rampaging causing harm to be a vice. The ability of the Hulk do do whatever he wants and have nothing able to stop him *is the point*. They don't want Banner to struggle with the moral challenges of his werewolf-curse, they want him to give in and just be the wolf.

Which is to say, there are a lot of fans who want to embrace the power fantasy of Hulk As Villain.

Some of my favorite moments in hulk history came as professor hulk...

It also potentially sets up the single coolest moment in hulk history in onslaught ( though it could be done with any uber threat) where professor hulk asks jean grey ( or maybe wanda in this case) to “turn off” banner and goes super savage... we still haven’t really gotten that “hulk is the strongest one there is” moment yet

Some of my favorite moments in hulk history came as professor hulk...

It also potentially sets up the single coolest moment in hulk history in onslaught ( though it could be done with any uber threat) where professor hulk asks jean grey ( or maybe wanda in this case) to “turn off” banner and goes super savage... we still haven’t really gotten that “hulk is the strongest one there is” moment yet

Unfortunately, I don't think the MCU is going to come close to realizing the complexity of the Hulk. Bruce doesn't change into the Hulk per say as much as the gamma manifests different aspects of his personality. Savage Hulk, the Worldbreaker, Joe Fixit, the Professor, The Maestro, Doc Green, and the Devil Hulk are all very different characters who inhabit the mind of Bruce Banner. As much as I admire the culture-changing phenomenon that is Marvel Studios, it's clear now that adapting the nuance and gravitas of Hulk isn't a priority for them. I hope that I'm wrong, but I've come to terms with the idea that Hulk's time on screen might be close to over despite only scratching the surface of what makes the character tick.

Have either the writers or the Russo brothers responded to questions about whether they considered alternative storylines for Hulk in EG? Perhaps one that involved him actually fighting/smashing?

Curious, that despite all of the fan outrage that the Hulk didn't get a "fighting moment" in EG, that it hasn't been addressed publicly yet by the directors and writers, unless I'm mistaken.

I still maintain Hulk undoing the snap is one of the best feats of durability & power in the MCU, and pivotol to defeating Thanos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"