Endgame Hulk/Bruce Banner - Mark Ruffalo

But again.. this movie was not about him

I just wish that, you know, something was about him. I feel like, aside from the 2008 movie (which feels weirdly disconnected from the MCU because of its different Banner and super serious tone), Hulk's story is mainly something that happens off screen and we only get glimpses of it from the periphery of other characters' stories.

I loved what the movie did with Hulk and I hope they keep the concept of Hulk having Banner's intelligence. This is probably my fav version of the Hulk in the MCU

Hulk was okay, but Ragnarok Hulk is by far my favorite Hulk.
Agreed!

Even if this hulk wasn't likeable as a character, he still
wielded the Gauntlet & undid The Decimation. That takes strength, power & durability only a handful of characters in the MCU possess. It was an amazing feat.
I think that was his best moment in the movie.

The stuff with Hulk raging out about taking the stairs was great lol. That whole time travel back to the 2012 Battle of NY had some really good moments, but the scenes with 2012 Hulk were definitely the highlights along with pretty much everything involving Cap as well.

Agreed

Ok Spoiler-ish, but I really want to see a ..

Hulk movie that's like Split where Banner manages the multiple versions of his personality, from Grey, Professor, Savage etc. Crazy Jane from Doom patrol is another example of this.

Last edited:
I loved Hulk in this movie, he didn't get much action but the
Professor Hulk
angle was great and I thought Ruffalo and the CGI department combined to bring this version to life brilliantly.

I wasnt a fan of hulks arc in endgame. To be honest ruffalo doesnt come off as an actor who can play a genius.

I think after EG, the MCU has the opportunity to move Spidey and Hulk, their two tentpole characters, to the forefront of the upcoming phases.

I think after EG, the MCU has the opportunity to move Spidey and Hulk, their two tentpole characters, to the forefront of the upcoming phases.

Years ago I would have loved to see that, but honestly I’m fine with no Hulk in the MCU. Honestly I don’t think that the MCU knows what to do with Hulk. They should just leave him be and move on the the others.The OG avengers got a great send off..

I liked Ruffalo in the role but I don’t like what they did to rage Hulk.

Not a of fan what happened to Hulk in this, I feel we haven’t seen the real Hulk since Ragnorok.

As person that thinks that Peter David's run on the Hulk is practically the definitive take on the character... Yeah I liked the use of Hulk. I was expecting the "mother of all Hulk outs" as much as anyone. Didn't get it. Oh well... Yet these complaints feel so hyperbolic. But... Dems fanboys/girls these days. Mark was great in a different take than anyone has seen so fare in live action of Hulk and it worked for the story. And frankly, given the lack of any solo film on the horizon it's fantastic in my eyes that the team at Marvel haven't kept Hulk stagnant. From the first MCU film, through Avengers, and Thor and now here in the Endgame they have progressed the character. People act as though this ENDS Banner's story. It doesn't. If anything he has more to lose now than ever before. Prior he was a man on the edge. Now he has a semblance of normality. That going away is a fear they can tap into. And I'm sorry but Mark has been great for this character. He now can hang around longer given the mocap angle of the Hulk. Frankly, I would put Hulk into the next Strange film, toss in Surfer and Namor and make it a defacto Defenders film. Seeing Mark and Cumberbatch play off one another, especially as Prof. Hulk would be tons of fun I think.

As person that thinks that Peter David's run on the Hulk is practically the definitive take on the character... Yeah I liked the use of Hulk. I was expecting the "mother of all Hulk outs" as much as anyone. Didn't get it. Oh well... Yet these complaints feel so hyperbolic. But... Dems fanboys/girls these days. Mark was great in a different take than anyone has seen so fare in live action of Hulk and it worked for the story. And frankly, given the lack of any solo film on the horizon it's fantastic in my eyes that the team at Marvel haven't kept Hulk stagnant. From the first MCU film, through Avengers, and Thor and now here in the Endgame they have progressed the character. People act as though this ENDS Banner's story. It doesn't. If anything he has more to lose now than ever before. Prior he was a man on the edge. Now he has a semblance of normality. That going away is a fear they can tap into. And I'm sorry but Mark has been great for this character. He now can hang around longer given the mocap angle of the Hulk. Frankly, I would put Hulk into the next Strange film, toss in Surfer and Namor and make it a defacto Defenders film. Seeing Mark and Cumberbatch play off one another, especially as Prof. Hulk would be tons of fun I think.

See the problem there is, when Peter David used Prof Hulk, he actually gave the character a dramatic story. He showed the various personas meeting and coming to terms with each other in a meaningful way. We didn’t get that in this movie, what we got was Banner offhandly mentioning that he did an experiment in his lab one day and that he now exists as is. They completely skipped over what should have been an important moment for comedic effect largely. Whereas in something like Ragnarok, they used the comedy well, because it helped underline genuine pathos with the Hulk’s insecurity and his conflict with Banner...here it didn’t really delve into anything at all.

Is it different from the classic Hulk set up? Sure, but if I’m going to be honest, he didn’t really feel like David’s Prof Hulk. And I’m not even concerned about the lack of action or “feats” from the character (never liked how Hulk fans obsess over power levels like its DBZ) but I do think they needed something else to make the character’s inclusion worthwhile dramatically. Tony, Steve, Thor, Natasha and Clint all got some great stuff in that regard, whereas Bruce was mostly just there for comedic relief.

I dunno...at this point if they’re going to use the character again, I think they need to start letting him carry more of the narrative. A Defenders film would be cool, but if that’s to happen I think he’d need be given substantially more attention.

See the problem there is, when Peter David used Prof Hulk, he actually gave the character a dramatic story. He showed the various personas meeting and coming to terms with each other in a meaningful way. We didn’t get that in this movie, what we got was Banner offhandly mentioning that he did an experiment in his lab one day and that he now exists as is. They completely skipped over what should have been an important moment for comedic effect largely. Whereas in something like Ragnarok, they used the comedy well, because it helped underline genuine pathos with the Hulk’s insecurity and his conflict with Banner...here it didn’t really delve into anything at all.

Is it different from the classic Hulk set up? Sure, but if I’m going to be honest, he didn’t really feel like David’s Prof Hulk. And I’m not even concerned about the lack of action or “feats” from the character (never liked how Hulk fans obsess over power levels like its DBZ) but I do think they needed something else to make the character’s inclusion worthwhile dramatically. Tony, Steve, Thor, Natasha and Clint all got some great stuff in that regard, whereas Bruce was mostly just there for comedic relief.

I dunno...at this point if they’re going to use the character again, I think they need to start letting him carry more of the narrative. A Defenders film would be cool, but if that’s to happen I think he’d need be given substantially more attention.

Oh I do see the issues you do too Roose. The set up in IW would have seemed to be perfect for us to get that "Astral" conference call aspect from David's run... And then they didn't do that. That was disappointing and yes, you're right, they shouldn't have done all that via the five year jump.

And I would agree, he's not quite the David "merged" Hulk, outside of the self conscious sense of humor on display, which... In this case I mostly liked, which is a miracle since that sort of thing in the MCU tends to grate me. But given Mark's take on Banner this was the MCU's version of that Hulk and... It worked for me, given the different circumstances from how David pulled it off. And I do think there's greater potential down the road with how this could all work out IF Marvel finds a way to give Hulk the solo spotlight he deserves. Even with that said I think they used Hulk pretty well, and for more than just light touches. The stuff with the wielding of the Gauntlet and talk with the Ancient One worked for me. It was ironic seeing the scientist convincing the mystic about the nature of reality and time travel (for all my problems with the explanation... But that's for another thread...).

Thinking about it, I really feel like...

Banner shouldn't have transformed into the Hulk until after he learned about Natasha's death. This would have sent him into an uncontrolled rage. Carol (who should have been present on the mission to collect the stones) and Thor would have to team up together to reign him in. This would lead to Banner and Hulk resolving their inner conflict on-screen, giving birth to Professor Hulk, who would then go on to use the Infinity Gauntlet (which is the only time Professor Hulk was actually needed in the movie, anyway).

But then of course we'd miss out on a few gags.

Did I hear or interpret correctly?
Before Hawkeye travelling back to his home for the first time, Antman highlighted that they have to be very careful of not making unecessary changes to the past because that may cause serious effects to their past and present time. But Bruce Banner agrued that what they were going to do could only change their future. The action of going back to their past and all consequences caused were all on their future timeline, The past was passed. They could not go back there actually.

My interpretation:
In fact, going back to the past through the quantum realm will duplicate one's universe in the past. That is an idea similar to the actual quantum-mechanical hypothesis, which says parallel universes are "universes that are separated from each other by a single quantum event.

Oh I do see the issues you do too Roose. The set up in IW would have seemed to be perfect for us to get that "Astral" conference call aspect from David's run... And then they didn't do that. That was disappointing and yes, you're right, they shouldn't have done all that via the five year jump.

And I would agree, he's not quite the David "merged" Hulk, outside of the self conscious sense of humor on display, which... In this case I mostly liked, which is a miracle since that sort of thing in the MCU tends to grate me. But given Mark's take on Banner this was the MCU's version of that Hulk and... It worked for me, given the different circumstances from how David pulled it off. And I do think there's greater potential down the road with how this could all work out IF Marvel finds a way to give Hulk the solo spotlight he deserves. Even with that said I think they used Hulk pretty well, and for more than just light touches. The stuff with the wielding of the Gauntlet and talk with the Ancient One worked for me. It was ironic seeing the scientist convincing the mystic about the nature of reality and time travel (for all my problems with the explanation... But that's for another thread...).

Don’t get me wrong, there were things I liked. The second snap was certainly a moment I dug, and the subtle stuff in regards to his reaction to Natasha’s death. I like Ruffalo in this role and I think he’s the best of the actors to play him...but at this point I’m kind of burned out with his use in these Avengers movies.

Right now I’d rather they wait and see if they can utilise him better before sticking him into any future project. Even if it’s in a team movie, I think anything other than him being more of a lead will be a waste.

Quick help me please, the kids decided to pee as soon as they saw Hulk eating. What explanation was given for
the amalgamation of Hulk/Banner there?

Quick help me please, the kids decided to pee as soon as they saw Hulk eating. What explanation was given for
the amalgamation of Hulk/Banner there?
Banner successfully merged with Hulk after looking at him as a cure instead of a disease, which he previously viewed him as.

oh cool! a little callback to something Tony said in Avengers 1!
He made the effort to merge Banner and Hulk, as he recounted to Scott, Steve and Nat because Hulk lost first then Banner then the entire team mainly for that reason. Viewing Hulk as a cure is a consequence of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"