Hype Movie Club

Wow, it's already time to vote for June's selections! Next month's category will be...

The 1960's!

Since we're back to having a pretty big pool of movies to choose from, everybody gets UP TO FIVE votes this time. And as a reminder, a series is eligible as long as it has one installment in this decade. Voting will remain open through Thursday!

I'll go with two I've seen and three I wanna see.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Night of the Living Dead
The Great Escape
Midnight Cowboy
Bullitt

0hXEasQ.gif

Minority Report

If only the precogs knew about what would happen to RadioShack.

Pretty good. I think it's got the right idea of what it was going for and Spielberg used the tech noir thriller to great effect and teaming up with Tom Cruise was as expected. This definitely reminded me of other movies like Total Recall and Robocop... both Paul Verhoeven movies and I couldn't stop thinking about what Paul Verhoeven's Minority Report would look like (probably more bloody and gory and the satire would be in full effect). The movie has an interesting balancing act of being a little too goofy and action-packed with the seriousness of the themes they were tackling. Really love all the futuristic set designs and seeing what did and what didn't hold up after 22 years. Performace-wise, I thought Tom Cruise, Colin Farrell, Max von Sydow, and Samantha Morton were great but I didn't expect to see Peter Stormare, Tim Blake Nelson, and Neal McDonough in this, so that was cool. While the directing and cinematography are still great, I still have that same issue with AI: Artificial Intelligence of that cold blinding JJ Abrams-style glare that took over the movie but I get why they did it. All the product placement is another thing where I get why they did it but I feel like they could have done the Robocop route and made up some brands. There's also a section or two where the movie kinda loses momentum. Overall, it's a movie that I think both Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg were great at but for a story like this, I think they could have gotten someone even better with less glossyness (if that makes sense) like a Paul Verhoeven.
3.5/5

Wow, it's already time to vote for June's selections! Next month's category will be...

The 1960's!

Since we're back to having a pretty big pool of movies to choose from, everybody gets UP TO FIVE votes this time. And as a reminder, a series is eligible as long as it has one installment in this decade. Voting will remain open through Thursday!
Need to get my ass back in here and on track.

Planet of the Apes Series
Lawrence of Arabia
Eyes Without a Face
Lolita
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Battle of Algiers (1966)
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
High and Low (1963)
The Sound of Music (1965)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

For the love of film gods! More of y’all should watch ‘Seconds’

Seconds
The Great Silence
Belle De Jour
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
La Dolce Vita

A.I. Alliance Intelligence (2001)

tumblr_mzy55vppEp1tqaeybo6_250.gif

Look, I'm sorry, but given the current situation and all... I can't help but root for Brendan Gleason here. :o

I know a lot of people love this one, and I'd hoped that my opinion on it would change after watching it first as a teen years ago. But this still rings hollow for me. Very impressive technically, with some great designs, and Jude Law is delightful, but it just doesn't work for me. Too many conflicting ideas, none nearly as smart as they think they are.

Wow, the votes were all over the place this time! Only 3 movies got up to 3 votes. So I guess those three are our winners. At least one of 'em's a series! Our June picks:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)

51DtjdUgIRL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed By: Sergio Leone
Written By: Luciano Vincenzoni, Sergio Leone, Agenore, Incrocci
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef & Eli Wallach
What's It About? A bounty hunting scam joins two men in an uneasy alliance against a third in a race to find a fortune in gold buried in a remote cemetery.

As this is technically the 3rd installment of a trilogy, FC recommends also checking out its predecessors, A Fistful of Dollars (1964) and For a Few Dollars More (1965)!

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

51gdoo-4gHL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed By:
David Lean

Written By: Robert Bolt & Michael Wilson
Starring: Peter O' Toole, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn & Omar Sharif

What's It About? The story of T.E. Lawrence, the English officer who successfully united and led the diverse, often warring, Arab tribes during World War I in order to fight the Turks.

The Planet of the Apes Series
(1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 2001, 2011, 2014, 2017, 2024)
planet-of-the-apes-md-web.jpg

Directed By: Franklin J. Schaffner, Ted Post, Don Taylor, J. Lee Thompson, Tim Burton, Rupert Wyatt, Matt Reeves, Wes Ball
Written By: Michael Wilson, Rod Serling, Pierre Boulle, Paul Dehn, Mort Abrahams, William Broyles Jr., Lawrence Konner, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Mark Bomback, Matt Reeves, Josh Friedman
Starring: Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowell, Kim Hunter & a bunch of other people
What's It About? An astronaut crew crash-lands on a planet in which humans and intelligent apes clash for control.

Watch as many as you'd like, but for the purposes of the club, let's try to do the original series: Planet of the Apes (1968), Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970), Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971), Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) and Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

Thanks for voting, everyone! These are some stone-cold classics!!!

I guess the Dollars Trilogy counts as well since The Good, The Bad, The Ugly got picked?

Both Lawrence of Arabia and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly are masterclass films. I haven't seen most of the OG Apes movies. Maybe I will try and make the effort this go. If I can. I have seen the original movie, the Burton remake, and the recent 4 films. My summary of those so far would be:

Planet of the Apes (Original) - Solid movie with one of the great endings, but it gets boring in spots. 3.5/5

Planet of the Apes (Burton) - Crap. Absolute crap. Poorly written, lacks any of the charm of the series, and a legit hilarious ending. Just bad. 1/5

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Surprising one for me cause it had awful trailers. CG isn't always great, but it has great characters and the story sucks you in. 4/5

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Best movie in the series. If you watch only 1 movie in this series, watch this one. Legit one of the grear sequels. 5/5

War for the Planet of the Apes - Another banger. Dawn is better overall, but this is a great conclusion to this portion of the story. Woody Harrelson owns this movue. 4.5/5

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Just saw it yesterday. It's fine, but sort of more of the same and feels like a filler movie meant to setup more movies as opposed to being a great stand alone film. 3.5/5

I am going to try and power through the rest of the OG series this month and post more extensive thoughts on them. May rewatch the OG movie just for a refresher

Lawrence of Arabia is one of them masterpieces which I never want to rewatch again. Lawd.

Batman 66
The Birds
The Great Escape
Goldfinger

Edit: Ugggh. I missed the vote.

Planet of the Apes (1968) is my favorite entry in the series. There are several other Apes movies that I love (particularly in the new series), but this one just works for me like magic. It's different too, the new series is immaculate in many ways, but tonally, it has very little to do with the original. It's exciting, tense, and very funny. That bizarre sense of humor is something that I find very underrated about this movie. Some of it might be unintentional, like the gorilla funeral. To me, that scene is hysterical, from the humongous, bulbous casket to the ape priest delivering an impassioned eulogy.

Charlton Heston really sets the tone for this, and he's a huge get. He brings a level of gravitas to the project, but also humor through his melodramatic line readings. The famous line, "Get your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" is delivered with such hatred and panache that it just elevates the whole thing, it's delightfully over the top. The character is a major *****e, and Heston plays it to perfection.

Another thing that I find hilarious about Apes is that the ape society is deeply religious, in a human, Bible-thumping megachurch fundamentalist kind of way. It's a wonderful critique and couldn't be more timely in this present day, the portrayal is still accurate. THIS is what I'm missing from the modern films, I want the unhinged Christianity back. Especially now, with their Apesus Christ having been six feet under for hundreds of years, it's time to acknowledge that he died for their simian sins.

Finally, it's high time for someone to link this masterpiece, and it might as well be me:

The Planet of the Apes films are probably some of the most fun to revisit with people who have never experienced that absolute zaniness the franchise develops into as it continues past the first film. I do like them all quite a bit, and rewatching them gave me more of an appreciation for all 5, particularly Beneath which is one I wasn't overly fond of originally. I do wish we could return to the Ape society presented in those first two movies, where they had their fully functioning modern societies.

Beneath's ending is still one of the greatest things put to screen, and easily the best thing to watch other people react to.

I was truly not prepared for Beneath's 3rd act and ending. It's a shame that it had the first half problem of just copying the original movie with a younger guy.

I saw the Two Towers extended cut in the theater not too long ago, unlike the Snyder Cut, it was the best 4 hours in the theater.

I was hoping to rewatch Lawrence of Arabia, but I don't think I'll have the time. I am, however, watching the Dollars Trilogy for the first time ever. I already watched A Fistful of Dollars, which I really enjoyed. It's no wonder this is one of Clint Eastwood's signature roles, he's magnetic and has a great screen presence. He looks great, too. Ennio Morricone's music is every bit as effective as expected, a nostalgic vista of beauty and excitement.

It's impossible not to think of Yojimbo while watching this, and it does fall a smidge short of its samurai paragon. However, A Fistful of Dollars is a great movie in its own right, and it sets a very exciting stage for the two films ahead in the trilogy. From what I've seen, this one ends up being rather modest in scale compared to what's ahead, so I'm looking forward to that. 99 minutes did feel like a good length for this one, maybe even running a bit on the long side, so I'm fascinated with how the other two movies will fare with much more robust runtimes.

I'm definitely happy I'm finally delving into these, I've been a fan of Sergio Leone otherwise for a while.

Local arthouse is showing Lawrence of Arabia in September. Simultaneously excited and nervous about it, never seen a movie that long in a theater before.

mjODCL.gif
The good news is that there's a 15 minute intermission.

Sorry for the delay, once again found myself traveling at the end of the month. Happy to report my Planet of the Apes journey (Beneath's ending was like Top 5 wildest endings I've encountered lol!) from this month's selections inspired our topic for July. It will only make sense if you made it to the last one of the original series, Battle for the Planet of the Apes! @Ninjablade knows what's up. Anyway, that category is...

John Huston

john-huston2.jpg

Now, I know Mr. Huston was a fairly prolific actor, but we haven't moved onto actor categories yet, so for now, let's just focus on the films he's credited as writer or director on like usual. Reminder that we already did Treasure of the Sierra Madre not too long ago, so that one is ineligible. Everyone gets up to FOUR votes this time. Voting will be open through the weekend!

P.S. - I had only seen the first Apes movie (of the OG series, I've seen the recent ones) before this, and wow, those movies did NOT go how I expected them to go at all, goddamn!​

My Huston picks:

Key Largo
The Maltese Falcon
Moby Dick
Moulin Rouge

I've never seen the latter two. Do I want to watch Moulin Rouge just to compare its portrayal of Toulouse-Lautrec to the Baz Luhrmann movie? You betcha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"