The Amazing Spider-Man I am the only one thats feeling this movie is getting worse with time?

Uncle Ben's murderer was never dropped. Peter just hasn't caught him yet

It was dropped. He stopped looking or caring about the killer and it wasn't referenced again by anyone. Not only is that a disservice to the character of Peter becoming Spider-Man, Peter's entire motivation of trying to find out about his parents and find Ben's killer are completely dropped the second Curt takes the serum. Parents or Ben's killer aren't ever mentioned again until the lame after credits scene. The entire first act is about Peter's parents and Ben's killer. Then it's dropped. It's like they crappily edited the movie or smashed the front end of a movie with the back end of another movie together. If he shot it that way then he's a poor film maker. If he edited it that way, then he's still a poor film maker. If it was that way in the script...then whoever wrote the script did a terrible job. It's one of those three.

TV shows and Comic Books often do this, but TASM is the first to do so. I don't think this is "bad," but I just wish TASM2 would be coming out sooner, or back-to-back.

It's not even anything that revolutionary in film. I feel that that's a lot of Steve Kloves influence in the script, since I've seen similar things done with the Harry Potter films.

So because anyone has done that(maybe Tv series or Comics that have a lot of issues ,who knows?) is bad?, and is just the START OF a Series of movies.

I wonder why no other great directors do this in their movies.

Tv shows do that but you wait a whole week to see the next ep. Here...you get to wait 2 or maybe 3 years.

It was dropped. He stopped looking or caring about the killer and it wasn't referenced again by anyone. Not only is that a disservice to the character of Peter becoming Spider-Man, Peter's entire motivation of trying to find out about his parents and find Ben's killer are completely dropped the second Curt takes the serum. Parents or Ben's killer aren't ever mentioned again until the lame after credits scene. The entire first act is about Peter's parents and Ben's killer. Then it's dropped. It's like they crappily edited the movie or smashed the front end of a movie with the back end of another movie together. If he shot it that way then he's a poor film maker. If he edited it that way, then he's still a poor film maker. If it was that way in the script...then whoever wrote the script did a terrible job. It's one of those three.

"Peter i know thinks have been difficult lately ,i think i know what you are feeling, since you were a little boy you beeing living with many "Unresolved things""... *Pans to the "Wanted" poster and Peter and Parents photo* for me that was a reference that he didn´t stop caring

Just me :o

Tv shows do that but you wait a whole week to see the next ep. Here...you get to wait 2 or maybe 3 years.

THAT is the point he is doing something different(and/or Original), just because anyone did it before or is different doesn´t mean it´s bad

Did you walk out at the end of movie The "uncle Ben Killer " subplot wasn't dropped .at the end of the movie the camera pans to his bulletin board and thats is were you see the police sketch .

THAT is the point he is doing something different(and/or Original), just because anyone did it before or is different doesn´t mean it´s bad

Just look at Harry Potter 7.

and i hesitate to bring up twilight as ive never seen it.

But the Hobbit? a single story that will be split into 3 parts.

There has to be a first time for everything. When this trilogy is over, we will be looking at TASM very differently.

Just look at Harry Potter 7.

and i hesitate to bring up twilight as ive never seen it.

But the Hobbit? a single story that will be split into 3 parts.

well exactly, imagine if Harry Potter didn´t have a pre written Story

Why Voldemort attacked Harry´s Parents?
Why Did Harry Survived?
etc,etc is a Story ... is not concluded yet...

Why Did Harry Survived?

right im agreeing with you :woot:

I think the structure of ASM is completely fine and yes, quite unique.

Why Did Harry Survived?

But you can't look at it that way because it was pre written

all fictional stories are prewritten...

It was dropped. He stopped looking or caring about the killer and it wasn't referenced again by anyone. Not only is that a disservice to the character of Peter becoming Spider-Man, Peter's entire motivation of trying to find out about his parents and find Ben's killer are completely dropped the second Curt takes the serum.

It isn't actually dropped, the film clearly shows its still on his mind...but the film also shows Peter realizing that he can use his powers to protect the innocent VS seeking vengeance for himself. This is a major plot point. This aspect of his powers becomes more important to him than seeking justice for himself. This is key to the film, and to the franchise, and its resolved in one film. This is integral to Spider-Man's mythology. Spider-Man is not about revenge. Spider-Man is about using his powers to help others.

The entire first act is about Peter's parents and Ben's killer. Then it's dropped.

No...it very much isn't dropped. It evolves with the story. The story about Peter's father's work segueways into the story about Curt Conners, because Curt Conners is continuing Peter's father's work. Peter himself completes his father's work, but then has to find the cure for the formula he helped create. It's like, the focal point of the film, and arguably the film's main story.

Name me another movie that dropped 2 major plot arcs for the main character (the entire reason for the existence of the first act) so that the sequel can have more depth.

"Dropped" is the wrong phrase to use. "Unresolved" is more like it, but only certain elements are unresolved, and that's based on people's assumptions about what may have originally been planned. I think people have already pointed out that X-MEN does something similar, in terms of Wolverine's past. It gives us glimpses, but does not resolve this element, and leaves the details of his past for a sequel. THE MATRIX films did something similar with various storylines and themes. In terms of more obvious examples, the STAR WARS films come to mind, in terms of movies that introduce plot points and themes that are not resolved until later films, both trilogies. The previous SPIDER-MAN films did the same thing, especially with Harry Osborn's arc. SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE and SUPERMAN II had similar elements. Witness the introduction of the Phantom Zone villains in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE which did not pay off until SUPERMAN II. BATMAN BEGINS has elements of this type of storytelling as well.

I can't come up with a ton of films that have done this, because its not done all that often. But neither did this one just "drop" ideas it introduced. It developed both a self contained story AND introduced overarching themes that the filmmakers planned to use for the entire franchise, which they never intended to resolve all in one film.

Thats not doing something "unique" it's just not something done when writing, because you need to leave the audience with some kind of satisfaction like they actually saw a story being told. You can have a set up film, that is a story within a bigger story, you don't have to do this to set up for the future.

There WAS a story being told. There were several of them.

The story of Peter Parker's transformation into Spider-Man and his acceptance of responsibility.

There's also the story of Peter discovering his father's work, and this leading to his discovery of Connor's ongoing work with his father's ideas, and then Peter's eventual involvement/completion of his father's formula. That storyline was resolved in this movie. That's a self contained storyline, and its all in this one film.

There's also the story of Peter and Gwen becoming a couple, and being tested as a couple.

You really think that TASM has anything resembling a 'unique structure'? It's not pioneering a bold new method of storytelling or taking a risk on an unconventional story structure. It tells a pretty rote origin story but doesn't resolve some sub plots because it wants to set up a sequel. How many films have done that or something very similar in the past 5 years even?

Of all the arguments that could be made to respond to legitimate concerns about dropping plot points, I really don't see how innovative film making is one of them.

I never said innovative. I said unique. Is it entirely new? No. But it is somewhat unique for a film of this genre. Otherwise, people wouldn’t be whining about how “No other movie does this!”

I don't think its about just wanting to set up a sequel. Its about developing themes and concepts that the entire franchise will explore. Its not just a film with sequel bait elements in it.

Last edited:
If the stories conclude well in the sequels, then there is no reason to complain.

It isn't actually dropped, the film clearly shows its still on his mind...but the film also shows Peter realizing that he can use his powers to protect the innocent VS seeking vengeance for himself. This is a major plot point. This aspect of his powers becomes more important to him than seeking justice for himself. This is key to the film, and to the franchise, and its resolved in one film. This is integral to Spider-Man's mythology. Spider-Man is not about revenge. Spider-Man is about using his powers to help others.

No...it very much isn't dropped. It evolves with the story. The story about Peter's father's work segueways into the story about Curt Conners, because Curt Conners is continuing Peter's father's work. Peter himself completes his father's work, but then has to find the cure for the formula he helped create. It's like, the focal point of the film, and arguably the film's main story.

"Dropped" is the wrong phrase to use. "Unresolved" is more like it, but only certain elements are unresolved, and that's based on people's assumptions about what may have originally been planned. I think people have already pointed out that X-MEN does something similar, in terms of Wolverine's past. It gives us glimpses, but does not resolve this element, and leaves the details of his past for a sequel. THE MATRIX films did something similar with various storylines and themes.

I can't come up with a ton of films that have done this, because its not done often. But neither did this one just "drop" ideas it introduced. It developed both a self contained story AND introduced overarching themes that the filmmakers planned to use for the entire franchise, which they never intended to resolve all in one film.

The story of Peter Parker's transformation into Spider-Man and his acceptance of responsibility.

There's also the story of Peter discovering his father's work, and this leading to his discovery of Connor's ongoing work with his father's ideas, and then Peter's eventual involvement/completion of his father's formula. That storyline was resolved in this movie. That's a self contained storyline, and its all in this one film.

There's also the story of Peter and Gwen becoming a couple, and being tested as a couple.

I never said innovative. I said unique. Is it entirely new? No. But it is somewhat unique for a film of this genre. Otherwise, people wouldn’t be whining about how “No other movie does this!”

I don't think its about just wanting to set up a sequel. Its about developing themes and concepts that the entire franchise will explore. Its not just a film with sequel bait elements in it.
:up:

"Dropped" is the wrong phrase to use. "Unresolved" is more like it, but only certain elements are unresolved, and that's based on people's assumptions about what may have originally been planned. I think people have already pointed out that X-MEN does something similar, in terms of Wolverine's past. It gives us glimpses, but does not resolve this element, and leaves the details of his past for a sequel. THE MATRIX films did something similar with various storylines and themes.

I can't come up with a ton of films that have done this, because its not done often. But neither did this one just "drop" ideas it introduced. It developed both a self contained story AND introduced overarching themes that the filmmakers planned to use for the entire franchise, which they never intended to resolve all in one film.

:highfive:

I actually just edited my post to include some stuff about STAR WARS in terms of franchises that introduced plot ideas and themes it didn't resolve in one film.

The point of a comic adaptation isn't to follow the comics to the t. Doc Ocks character was probably one of the highlights of the film as his character was not only sympathetic but he mirrors Peter. He's what Peter could be if he stopped being Spider-Man, a successful scientist with a normal happy life. Not only that there is a theme that is present through out the film, following your dreams making the tough decision, each main character has to go through this.

Peter did not "quit for the girl" he lives in a one room run down apartment by the C train, he got fired from his job, he can't even make enough money to pay his advance, he can't pay his rent, it's his fault his friend is going nuts, he's failing out of school, it's his fault his Aunt is lonely and losing her home, and on top of all of this he can't get the girl. Finally he starts doubting himself and isn't able to perform as well usual and eventually starts losing his powers. He goes to a doctor and the doctor asks if he even wants to be Spider-Man climbing those walls. In the end after speaking to Aunt May, who is his voice of reason here. He makes the choice to give up hope to have a life like Doc Ock did before the accident and be Spider-Man because it's his responsibility.

Doc Ock has a similar arc. He's living his dream, he has his college sweetheart as his wife, he's a successful scientist and he's working on a big project that will make his career. In the process he's warned that he might have made a miscalculation but dismisses it and because of this he ends up with 4 arms welded to his body and his wife is dead, the only thing he has left to cling on to is his free unlimited energy experiment. He spends the whole movie trying to recreate it until he finally does. Peter subdues him and uses his words and what aunt may taught him to make him come to realize he needs to let it go. He dies because he made a bed and now he has to sleep in it.

Harry's dream is to make his father proud something he was never able to do in the first film until the end, right before he died. He goes mad trying to please a dead man, until he becomes a killer himself. He learns its Peter and becomes confused, but he refuses to give up his desires until he's completely lost it and he's talking to his dad in the mirror.

It strayed from the comics but thats okay, as long as they make it work, and this movie did the right thing by building on what they established in the first film.

Anyway Amazing is one of those movies that doesn't really have any clear message and just feels incomplete. Its not a bad movie but theres a lot of things absent that certainly would have improved the overal picture. One thing was Peter never caught Ben's killer. It's okay to leave him out there but there should have been some scene where they really put emphasis that he's going to let that vendetta go and just be a hero. Dr.Raffa is built up to be the true evil in the film and then he slams into the windshield of his car...with no mention for the rest of the film. You can't drop someone like that midway through the film, you have to at least give so pay off.

Thats not doing something "unique" it's just not something done when writing, because you need to leave the audience with some kind of satisfaction like they actually saw a story being told. You can have a set up film, that is a story within a bigger story, you don't have to do this to set up for the future.
I don't expect a an adaptation be correct to the T. and it is okay stray but I felt the movie strayed a little too far. When I sit and read "Spider-man no more " and then watch Spider-man 2 it mores than strays a little. but your right they made work for a summer flick and Thats why it is my second favorite spider-man film and one of my favorite popcorn flicks.

Many of the quote "unresolved" story elements are saved for a sequel. This is a trilogy after all. While it does annoy me that the film had an aggressive marketing campaign dubbing it "The Untold Origin Story", only a few snippets truly are different. If they were to dub the entire trilogy afterwards as "The Untold Story" then that'd be fine. Everything would be resolved and we would TRULY see the difference. It's best not to rush so much in to one movie as the first Raimi film did. They glossed over extremely important moments of the comics with montages. Peter did not confront Uncle Ben's killer until many issues later and it was one of the more iconic moments of the series. Coming face to face with the man who killed your Uncle after all this time. Same with The Daily Bugle. You need to have a reason for Peter to get a job there. They hint at that in TASM with the Reward for Photos of The Lizard. Regarding Captain Stacy's dying wishes to Peter, he had fully intended to honor them by staying away from Gwen. However, you saw how tormented Gwen had become. This is a girl who just lost her father and now the only other man she loves in her life is leaving her. Peter realized he was causing her more pain by being apart.

Most good series' and trilogies employ this technique. Another quick look at Nolan's Bats, did Batman completely destroy the League of Shadows in BB? No, he just cut off their head. Did he stop crime in Gotham like he set out to do? Nope, in fact he might've made it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"