The Dark Knight I guess joker just applies make-up after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we see the movie we can not make any judgments on whether it will work or not.

Not only that, but if it is facepaint, what are they going to do when the Joker is either captured or put on trial or whatever. You think the warden is going to let him paint his face up again before going on? Fat chance. Nolan's gone to great lengths to respect Batman's comic origin; do you really think that he'll just be like "eh, whatever" with the Joker?

Souper is right. They've brought in the originator of the Joker, and though there may be changes, I doubt they'd change the core of the character or mess around with his looks too much. Even in Nolan's "real" vision, the Joker still has the white face, red smile, and green hair. Making him a psycho in paint is changing the character altogether, and I doubt they'd take such a radical step. Plus, it's unecessary.

Wasnt there a rumor of Nolan cutting a teaser with Joker applying make-up?

^^ yes.. a "rumour". It was one of many trailers cut... if I do recall correctly.
so it may or may not be used

I agree with the stance that Nolan shouldn't establish that Joker is wearing clown make-up or was bleached by chemicals, he should just have all his visible skin be white and make him have gloves on the entire movie. This way fanboys won't be p.o.'d and a little more mystery will be added to the Joker's character.

Joker with sneekers on. LOL!!!

Lame.

joker5.jpg
:oldrazz:

I think it's weak.

:batman:
:supes:

Everybody should slow down on this self-applied makeup thing. Nolan has hired a consultant who's intimately knowledgable of the J man's history, correct? Do you think he'd do that, meet with the consultant, discuss with Goyer, all to come to the conclusion that the joker is not a freak, but rather a serial killer in face paint? That's a substantial deviation.
Half of us have already argued to death that he's already made such a deviation by adding the scarred smile. So I don't really think you can use that point in this case, be it positive or negative.

I agree with the stance that Nolan shouldn't establish that Joker is wearing clown make-up or was bleached by chemicals, he should just have all his visible skin be white and make him have gloves on the entire movie. This way fanboys won't be p.o.'d and a little more mystery will be added to the Joker's character.
From what I've heard, the film doesn't bother explaining the Joker's look.

Joker with sneekers on. LOL!!!

Lame.

joker5.jpg
:oldrazz:

I think it's weak.

:batman:
:supes:

Is this a reason for not liking Joker ? It's pathetic. If you don't like a cut smile or have doubts in Ledger (because he hasn't played a real psychotic villain) yet, okay, no problem. But the SHOES ????

he's wearing the same long brown shoes as in the other photos

Half of us have already argued to death that he's already made such a deviation by adding the scarred smile. So I don't really think you can use that point in this case, be it positive or negative.
I don't think it's as big of a deviation, though. The cut-smile accentuates his already exaggerated smile, it could be argued. However, if he is naturally flesh-coloured, it implies he never took that chemical bath, and wouldn't have had that 'one bad day' that turned him away. It makes him less mysterious to just be a serial killer in make-up, and IMO would have more of a negative effect on the character than the cut-smile.

How? Surely knowing he had one bad day is less mysterious than knowing nothing? I've never liked the snap change to insanity anyway

I don't think it's as big of a deviation, though.
Well then you're simply the other half I was referring to.

The cut-smile accentuates his already exaggerated smile, it could be argued.
And it's also man-made, whether it be by a third party or Joker himself. Point is, that's something that never happened and seems like a change for the sake of being different.

However, if he is naturally flesh-coloured, it implies he never took that chemical bath, and wouldn't have had that 'one bad day' that turned him away. It makes him less mysterious to just be a serial killer in make-up, and IMO would have more of a negative effect on the character than the cut-smile.
I'm not arguing that. If that were to happen, it'd just add to the problems I already have with the overall look.

How? Surely knowing he had one bad day is less mysterious than knowing nothing?

Because it suggest something; something really bad happened to him but we never know what so we're forced to imagine. That's far more catching than not saying a thing and let us know it's pure common make-up.

I've never liked the snap change to insanity anyway

I don't like some comic elements either. But a slow way into insanity? Or he was born insane? Not as intense as the snap.

How? Surely knowing he had one bad day is less mysterious than knowing nothing? I've never liked the snap change to insanity anyway

Believe me, that is how it really works sometimes. I've had to experience someone I used to live withs psychological breakdown firsthand, it isn't gradual, and all you really do need is one bad day. Insanity is different for everyone, some people take a couple years and freak out bit by bit, and some people who've been suppressing something just freaking explode.

With the Joker, he's definably a bomb personality. He is so far gone, something had to launch him to get him where he is because he is so far out there. He's just looking for Laughter or a Scream. He's happy with either.

How are we so sure they were even finished applying his make up, or costume?

I doubt they would have had him wear sneakers in the scenes, he was probably relaxing between takes or before shooting.

I seriously wish there was a way we could keep count of all the whiners.

Why?

I'm glad you asked.

I think it would be peaches if we could keep count, and names, and then when TDK comes out, when said people say "I teh loved it," we can re-post a year prior post and say, "you have lost all rights to speak."

Mark me then, Smartguy. Like the idea of tagging is going to prove anything, anyway.

I'm still watching the movie, and yeah I may get used to it, but they could have done it so much better by sticking with the traditional confines of the damn characters appearance. This WILL be Nolans Joker, not my Joker.

If I'm not mistaken, Bruce wasn't trained by Ra's Al Ghul in the comics. His suit wasn't developed for military purposes and neither was the Batmobile. Origins differ over time. Was The Joker a failed comedian? Or just a lavish criminal? I don't understand why white skin is the core of the character over the personality of the character itself. I mean if he's a psychopathic, thieving, mass murderer with perma-white skin he's dead on; BUT if he's a psychopathic, thieving, mass murderer who applies HIS OWN make-up it's completely destroyed the core of the character. I don't get it.

And it's also man-made, whether it be by a third party or Joker himself. Point is, that's something that never happened and seems like a change for the sake of being different.
What about the cut-smile in Grant Morrison's recent story? Yes, I know it's been retconned, but it offers precedent, rare (indeed unique) as it is.

Mark me then, Smartguy. Like the idea of tagging is going to prove anything, anyway.

I'm still watching the movie, and yeah I may get used to it, but they could have done it so much better by sticking with the traditional confines of the damn characters appearance. This WILL be Nolans Joker, not my Joker.

You could still get what you are looking for Nivek. IMO I don't think there is enough definitive proof out there right now as to what exactly is going on with his appearance. If anything, I believe there is way more misinformation than hard facts. Right now it's confusing trying to ascertain what is the real deal.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I could care less if it's make-up or not. If he looked exactly like the comic book Joker but his performance was terrible then it wouldn't really matter that his skin was white. We need to see his PORTRAYAL, not blurry spy pics. I just don't understand how people can accept all the changes to Batman's look, who's never resembled his comic book interpretation since Adam west, but the Joker has to be completely exact for this film. Not to mention that Jack Nicholson looked almost nothing like the character either. I'd even go so far as to say his Joker may have be even less faithful in look, character and origin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"