Sequels I hope they save Thanos for Avengers 3

Captain Marvel

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
People keep talking about wanting to see Thanos in the current movie, setting him up for the second, but if they use Thanos for Avengers 2 then how could they possibly top him for Avengers 3?

Here's my view on the subject. With Avengers 3, the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we know it is going to be pretty much over with. Robert Downey Jr. will be gone, Chris Evans will be gone, Chris Hemsworth will be gone, etc. So Avengers 3, unless they do some heavy recasting, will be the last time we see Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America in the Avengers. At the very least, it'll be the last time we see the original actors in those roles as Avengers. So Avengers 3, then, should be the biggest of them all. That should be the movie where the most epic story takes place. So if the Infinity Gauntlet is going to come in, then that's the movie it should be in, not Avengers 2.

So what does everyone else think? Should Thanos be saved for Avengers 3?

I think if they use him, the Thanos arc should end in Avengers 3 but he could feature in Avengers 2 as well. Also agree that with Avengers 3 Marvel will face a big challenge in terms of how to keep their cinematic universe going.

Yeah, Thanos playing into Avengers 2 wouldn't be bad so long as he's not defeated in Avengers 2. If it plays out like Empire Strikes Back then that'd be awesome. I'd just hate to see Thanos beaten in Avengers 2, at which points the question arises: "What next?" Who could they possibly get that'd top Thanos?

And yep, one has to wonder what're they going to do once Avengers 1-3, Iron Man 1-3, Thor 1-3, and Captain America 1-3 are out. Chris Evans, for instance, is only signed for six movies. I imagine Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth have similar deals. It's unlikely all or even some of them will be willing after all that to come back for more films. So what then? Will they start recasting the roles or will they retire those characters for the short term and focus on other characters? Will Avengers 4 feature War Machine, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Ant-Man, and the Wasp, instead? I'm definitely interested in seeing what route they'll take from this point on.

Thanos is too powerful to top, you're correct.

Hopefully Avengers 2 is Kang.

Thanos should be the Darth Vader of this franchise. If he turns up in Avengers 2, who says they stop him?

Thanos in A3 would be a perfect fit, by then (2017) You'll have cosmic marvel established in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and you could crossover some of GOTG characters into the movie for assistance. The only other big bad I could see on a cosmic level would be the Galactus, but unfortunately, Marvel doesn't own him again for a while.

Thanos is too powerful to top, you're correct.

Hopefully Avengers 2 is Kang.

Kang would be great. Ultron would be awesome, too.

Thanos should be the Darth Vader of this franchise. If he turns up in Avengers 2, who says they stop him?

Agreed. In my opinion, if he shows up in Avengers 2, it should only be because he's not beaten.

The only other big bad I could see on a cosmic level would be the Galactus, but unfortunately, Marvel doesn't own him again for a while.

Yeah, that's a real shame.

After dealing with an otherworldly enemy with Loki and his army, I think a domestic threat would make sense, leading into a big time cosmic baddie(thanos) in the third. If they don't use Ultron, the Wrecking Crew might be a good choice.

so we haven't had Avengers 1 done yet and we are getting Avengers 3 automatically?

After dealing with an otherworldly enemy with Loki and his army, I think a domestic threat would make sense, leading into a big time cosmic baddie(thanos) in the third. If they don't use Ultron, the Wrecking Crew might be a good choice.

I'm going to have to disagree vigorously. The Wrecking Crew would be an awful choice for villains. After fighting off an evil god and an alien invasion, the Avengers have to take on. . . four dumb crooks with mid-level superstrength? Hell, even if you gave them all Hulk level strength, it'd still be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes vs four dumb crooks."

Yep I agree with this thread, I find it pretty stupid when people say they want Thanos as the main villain in Avengers 2 when he clearly should be saved for the third film.

In a perfect word, we'd have Ultron as the villain in Avengers 2 with Thanos topping off the sequel in Avengers 3 (Kang is my 2nd choice for A2).

Last edited:
BigThor, I agree completely with you, even with Kang for 2nd choice:word:

I hope both Ultron and Kang will get their chance to appear in a film before Thanos.

I'm going to have to disagree vigorously. The Wrecking Crew would be an awful choice for villains. After fighting off an evil god and an alien invasion, the Avengers have to take on. . . four dumb crooks with mid-level superstrength? Hell, even if you gave them all Hulk level strength, it'd still be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes vs four dumb crooks."

The Wrecking Crew could appear at the start of an Avengers movie as bad guys that the Avengers take out. They would just stand in instead of regular crooks and wouldn't have a very long sequence. We need more of these type cameos. That's what the Spider-Man movies need too, instead of these random civilian thieves and criminals.

The Wrecking Crew could appear at the start of an Avengers movie as bad guys that the Avengers take out. They would just stand in instead of regular crooks and wouldn't have a very long sequence. We need more of these type cameos. That's what the Spider-Man movies need too, instead of these random civilian thieves and criminals.

Okay, that, I could see working. *nods*

I'd like to see that done at the beginning of a Thor film though, with Thor taking all of them out with relative ease.

Let's not forget that Spider-Man also fought the Wrecking Crew, with not as much ease. Of course, that won't be happening while Sony owns Marvel.

How about Thor fighting the Wrecking Crew in the Avengers instead? A sequence at the beginning of the movie when some of the other Avengers are coming to collect him? They arrive and see him engaged in a fight. Or maybe SHIELD are trying to deal with them and the Avengers arrive to save the day in a kind of opening sequence that precedes the main plot.

Let's not forget that Spider-Man also fought the Wrecking Crew, with not as much ease. Of course, that won't be happening while Sony owns Marvel.

How about Thor fighting the Wrecking Crew in the Avengers instead? A sequence at the beginning of the movie when some of the other Avengers are coming to collect him? They arrive and see him engaged in a fight. Or maybe SHIELD are trying to deal with them and the Avengers arrive to save the day in a kind of opening sequence that precedes the main plot.

I wouldn't mind seeing Thor fighting the Wrecking Crew in The Avengers as long as Thor handles them himself, I'd like for them to show Thor beating them up then have Shield arrive on the scene after the battle.

The Wrecking Crew definitely belong to Thor. And Loki, who created them. And they *definitely* aren't a big enough threat to warrant the Avengers being called up.

As for Thanos, I agree that Avengers 2 shouldn't jump back into the alien wars arena, but handle a different kind of threat. Ultron or Kang would be ideal, with possibly some variation on the Masters of Evil being a workable concept, too.

But I *would* like to see Thanos hinted at in a growing arc across multiple movies --- sort of like The Emperor Palpatine in the OT, as many here have recommended --- including the Guardians of the Galaxy film, culminating with Thanos in all his glory in Avengers 3.

As much as I'd like to see Ultron in one of the movies, you can't have him in there without Hank Pym's involvement. Rather see Kang first. As for Thanos as a growing arc, I'd be all for that! :)

Jumping ahead a bit don't you think? The first movie isn't even finished, and people are talking about its second sequel. It's probably bad luck.

Course, I'm sure people were discussing the villain for the Dark Knight Rises before Batman Begins came out.

Just curious... since Marvel doesn't posses all the rights to their characters is it confirmed that they have the rights to Thanos?
He maybe fought all the Avengers, and appeared in Iron Man and Thor.. but he is primarily a Silver Surfer villain. A the rights to the SS, FF, Galactus, even the Scrulls are still owned by Fox I guess.
Does anyone know anything more concerning Thanos specifically?

Thanos is not primarily a SS villain, he is primarily the Infinity Gauntlet storyline villain which involves everybody, mainly the Avengers. Incidentally, while Super Skrull is liscenced to Fox, the Skrulls, the race as a whole, are in a gray area. The Inhumans are as well, which is why Marvel Studios is able to plan, and hopefully release, an Inhumans movie.

The Wrecking Crew - I don't think the audience is to the point where we can just throw in super powered beings without origins. There's a reason the Avengers without solo movies don't have any powers. It's not the comics yet. If they're introduced in Thor 2 or something, and the Avengers take them down in short order in an opening scene, more power to them. I think having them imprisoned could make for a more interesting 'smaller' movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"