i now understand the religious mindset.

:up: nice bringing the knowlage there. i love the description as oceanic.

I've gotten into a blissful state of mind without having meditated,practiced religion,or used drugs.I wish I could remember what brought it on.It was a very good feeling.

meditation of some sort? oops sorry skipped a word in your post. but i think you could go into a trance without realising how.

Meanwhile,I'm having trouble finding that Buddhist stuff you were talking about.

Abaddon said:
Meanwhile,I'm having trouble finding that Buddhist stuff you were talking about.

okay i'll have a search for you now the thread has calmed down.

* in the 14th century Buddhist fighters led the uprising that evicted the Mongols from China

* in Japan, Buddhist monks trained Samurai warriors in meditation that made them better fighters

* In the twentieth century Japanese Zen masters wrote in support of Japan's wars of aggression. For example, Sawaki Kodo (1880–1965) wrote this in 1942:

"It is just to punish those who disturb the public order. Whether one kills or does not kill, the precept forbidding killing [is preserved]. It is the precept forbidding killing that wields the sword. It is the precept that throws the bomb."

* In Sri Lanka the 20th century civil war between the mostly Buddhist Sinhalese majority and the Hindu Tamil minority has cost 50,000 lives.

BUt..but..theyre supposed to preach nonviolence.:(

there are some broken people who are charasmatic enough to turn anything ugly.

religion is for the confused and weak.

to be religious is the very confession that you are unable to survive without investing your life into something so blatantly made up, it's ridiculous.

to pray to a diety that has shown no such proof of existence. to live your life by records that could so easily and convincingly be placed in the fiction side of a bookstore is totally without logic.

do the scientologists really believe in xenu and hydrogen bombs and volcanos scattering people around the earth and planes in space?

do the christians really believe in angels, heaven, a god, jesus, satan and creationism?

the same could be asked for any religion, and the same answer would come up: yes.

yes, yes people do believe in this stuff.

but what it takes to believe is a leap of faith, that to me, is quite simply illogical.

erm,not all religions focus on a diety.:o

Abaddon said:
erm,not all religions focus on a diety.:o
that's true, but they are nearly all as illogical in concept.

You said "nearly all" though.I thought you had some in mind.

If you think religion lacks logic, it's because you're not thinking.

Abaddon said:
You said "nearly all" though.I thought you had some in mind.
no, it was an attempt to sound politically correct.

Imagine there's no heaven
Its easy if you try
No bad place below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

The Riddler said:
elaborate.

I can only speak from a Christian viewpoint. The basic reason, backed up by science, that God gave us all those do's and don't's is that it helps the human race survive, thrive, and maximize their potential.

For example, although man was meant to be a vegetarian (this is shown in Genesis), after the fall, it wasn't possible. So God took the next best step and basically said, "If you're going to eat meat, here's the meat to eat." The animals that are listed as unclean tend to be either carnivores, scavangers or are naturally disease ridden.

Imagine this.

death followed by nothing. You remembering nothing of your former life or those you knew including loved ones.

This is life and the ultimate reality. It scares people because it tells them there alone when they dont want to be. You will not know you had a child,loved one,mother,father or anything you cherished while alive. Knowing this fact grants you the ability to love every minute of life and to cherish those you have. Thats heaven enough for me.

and your memes and genes can go on. some of what makes you you survives your death in your children and the people who survived you's thoughts.

War Lord said:
I can only speak from a Christian viewpoint. The basic reason, backed up by science, that God gave us all those do's and don't's is that it helps the human race survive, thrive, and maximize their potential.

For example, although man was meant to be a vegetarian (this is shown in Genesis), after the fall, it wasn't possible. So God took the next best step and basically said, "If you're going to eat meat, here's the meat to eat." The animals that are listed as unclean tend to be either carnivores, scavangers or are naturally disease ridden.
yes, but my point is it is illogical.

not the themes of the bible. those are real. themes from fiction novels are also real and relevant.

the illogical aspect comes in taking for granted the existence of a god and his power.

what is illogical to me is how a person can take such a leap of faith to actually believe this to be real.

i see the bible and i see a great work of fiction that has a main purpose to teach people how to live more moral lives. what i can't see is the truthful and factual basis of a religion.

Demon Within said:
Imagine this.

death followed by nothing. You remembering nothing of your former life or those you knew including loved ones.

This is life and the ultimate reality. It scares people because it tells them there alone when they dont want to be. You will not know you had a child,loved one,mother,father or anything you cherished while alive. Knowing this fact grants you the ability to love every minute of life and to cherish those you have. Thats heaven enough for me.
this too is my exact belief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"