I owe the IRS

The Guard

Avenger
Reaction score
$800 something in back taxes. Apparently two years ago, the company I worked for for a couple months screwed me, and forgot to take any taxes at all out of my paycheck despite my withholding form. Then they forgot to send me my tax information, and stupid me, who had just gotten a new job, forgot all about it and didn't put said taxes on my return. So now I owe $800 in taxes in the next 20 days.

I know I owe it, as I've now seen the paperwork and know what happened. They've offered to let me pay it off at once, or pay it off in installments and accrue interest. Is there any way I can do a payment plan on this that won't kill me in terms of interest accrued? My father said there's some kind of 90 day promissory note you can sign that gives you three months with no interest or something.

Also, anyone have $800 dollars they don't need? :).

It's kinda funny. When I told my dad about it, he's like: "Well, I owe them $8,000". He has his own business.

I owe them 212 bucks now for something from 2006. I applied for unemployment insurance, got one check, and forgot about it, meaning I didn't tack it on that year on my form. Rest assured, they sent me a letter all about it. :cmad: Three years later.

I don't know about the promisary note, but I have a co-worker in kinda the same boat (he had an agreement with his ex they'd alternate years of claiming his daughter as dependent and she welched on the deal). From what he's told me, don't lowball the monthly payments and think you can pay on top and avoid interest - they don't allow it. He set his a level he could afford for a couple of months then, after he payed off another bill he was going to double what he was paying and they told him nope - this is the agreement, this is what you'll pay.

All situations show the need for tax reform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"